“Great road stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 hotels in Lodi
Sutter Creek, California
“Great road stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stopped here on a drive up to NorCal from SoCal. Freeway close, but far enough away so there's no traffic noise. Very clean room with all the amenities. Hot breakfast in the AM was a plus. Only drawback was the air conditioner which was quite noisy when it was on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TeamHamptonLathropCA, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Royal Host Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be convenient. We are located off of Hwy 99, making us a great stop in the middle of SoCal/NorCal. I am glad that you got to enjoy our free hot breakfast. Please do stop and stay with us again in the future, we would be happy to have you!

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I often travel to northern California to visit family. I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort and size of our room as well as the friendly front desk. The shower pressure was great, and there was ample space in the closets to hang our clothes. Although this hotel is close to the freeway exit, it is far enough so that we did not hear any freeway noise. In fact, we were surprised at how quiet it was in general. The breakfast was fine, although I will say that small breakfast room lends itself to a more limited selection of cereal, waffles and toast. At other Best Westerns it has been nice to experience a full hot breakfast. This one would see many more customers if it added on a larger kitchen/dining area as well as a jacuzzi. All in all for the price we paid, we were very pleased. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear you found our property to be a good value. I was concerned by your comment on the breakfast, as we do offer a free hot breakfast with eggs, meat, biscuits and gravy, etc. It is located in the same space with the other items you mentioned.... Our breakfast area is a little tight and we are working on expanding the space soon. As an older property we do however have many features that many of the newer hotels do not have, that is spacious rooms and grounds. We even have a back lawn space that is often used for picnics and bbqs. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, and I do hope to see you back again soon!
Desert Hot Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were very disappointed by this Best Western. When we opened the door, it looked nice. Then we looked up. Then, we looked in the bathroom. We were not impressed at all. There was not even shampoo! The place needs a GOOD renovation. They have patched badly. The bed headboard rattled every time you sat on the bed or moved.
We will try the one out on the I-5 next time if we are in the area, but will not return to this one. We were to stay in Stockton, but decided to try this one and it helped that it was a little less money. We know why.
The pictures look like they were made smaller that what I downloaded.

Room Tip: Don't use this one.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks so much for your review. I appreciate that room did look nice at your arrival. However, it does seem from your photos that we need to take a closer look at the issues in this guest room. We are an older property that recently got purchased, and are indeed undergoing some renovations. I hope that we can get this room up to speed, as I am disappointed by what I saw in your photos. Thank you for letting us know, as we are in the works of trying to provide our guests with a perfect guest room. (I hope you liked our new LCD TVs and new carpetting). Have a great day!
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just got home from a 2 day stay here. First was an unfortunate miss understanding that got us stuck in a smoking room (we asked for non smoking, and were NOT told we had gotten smoking) I did not have my glasses on me so I took the word of the girl at the desk. We checked in (noticed a nasty smell that I thought was just cleaning product) and went out. The next morning my son was having some problems with sinus ( we then looked around closer to find we were indeed in a smoking room). I went straight to the front desk and asked why, this is when we found out about the miss understanding. I tried to be an accepting patron and not make a scene ( she understood and gave us 10% off the room rate) also gave me a big bottle of febreze for the room..(yes we should have taken our money and run but that girl tried to make it right for us so I chose to tuff it out.. The day we checked out though I get the older lady with short hair who must be the manager...she gave us nasty attitude, backtalk (told me I knew and signed off on a smoking room..wouldn't even listen to my explaining AND pretty much threatened the young gal who tried to make it right for us)...I WILL be checking up on any "extra" charges they may try to put on the card as retribution too... I will also NEVER stay at this place again. I have ALWAYS in the past used Best Western and will continue to do so in the future, just NOT yours...

Room Tip: Make SURE you read the paper, DO NOT take them at their word.. smoking rooms STINK..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We do recall your recent visit to our hotel. You were a walk-in to our hotel when all that was available with no prior reservation was only smoking rooms. We did advise you that there were no other room types on property left to sell at the time of your check-in, and you chose to accept this room. My deepest apologies that during your stay you were not comfortable. In the future we would highly advise reserving so that you are able to have first pick on any and all room types. Thanks for staying with us, and for your feedback.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here because they offered a two room suite for $89.00 a night and we were displaced due to a huge water break in our home. We arrived late on a Wednesday night with our 1 year old son. I made a reservation via my iphone and requested a crib. Upon arrival my husband observed a young man with baggy pants on a cell phone and said that he looked like a pimp. There were 2 rooms with thier doors open and patrons milling about. Everyone was back in the room by 10PM though and there was no further observations of people coming and going unusually. My husband begged me to leave but it was so late and our son was exhausted. I liked the front desk clerk and the lobby was clean and everything well maintained. She checked us in and the room was also a disappointment. I guess you can call us snobs but it was dilapitated, dirty and uninviting. The walls had stains, peeling paint and wallpaper, the bathroom tub stained with rust and mildew, water marks on the ceiling, poor water pressure, hideous linens were like sand paper. Separate bedroom with queen bed and flat screen TV, small but decent. The crib was pretty sad too, metal, old creeked and was very worn. The mattress was not good for the crib, dirty looking and old. I covered it over and over with extra sheets the clerk gave me and the extra blanket in the closet. I also brought a few of my sons blankies from home so he never actually slept on any of the hotels linens, they were just the padding under him. My husband refused to sleep under the bedding on the bed, I did and I didn't find anything weird just creepy feeling a little like wondering if they had been washed. To summarize I suppose this is the room to get if you are exhausted, impartial and just looking for sleep and a shower. The breakfast was below average as to be expected after the seeing the room. Mini pastries (that werent stale) cereal, biscuits and gravy served in a crock pot, the coffee was empty even though there was 3 employees chatting and carrying on hotel business 10 feet away. I encountered all three while getting some fruit for my son and no one said good morning, hi or even made eye contact with me. I didn't dare express the lack of coffee even though I was tempted, they SO did not care. We would never stay here again but mostly because we aren't the type to be happy with a motel kind of place. The room did have a mini microwave and fridge by the way and plastic cups. Nothing seemed clean double rinsed everything we used. That's the kind of place it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TeamHamptonLathropCA, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Host Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thanks for your review. However, after reading it I believe it might be posted to the wrong hotel.... we have not had any water breaks, and nor do we have wallpaper in our guestrooms..... Sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable wherever you might have stayed. We hope that perhaps we can help you at our hotel in the future. Regards,
Tucson, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had reservations for a suite since there were three of us traveling together. However much to my surprise, the property did not allow pets to stay in a suite. I guess pet friendly does not mean the whole property! We ended up in a simple motel room with two queen beds. Unfortunately, our third traveler snored loud enough to wake me up and I am hearing impaired. It was not the night I had hoped for and after driving 740+ miles I was not in the mode to look for another hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to read all of the fine print. When looking at the suite description, it did say pets not al...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TeamHamptonLathropCA, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Royal Host Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I apologize about the confusion on pet-friendly policies. We do notate this policy on the room type when booking on our booking engine. While we do accept pets, we do try to be respectful of those that have pet allergies and do specify buildings that pets can stay in. This way we can assure comfort of those that might be allergic to pets. I am sorry that we could not accomodate your suite request while travelling with your pet. I understand that it was frustrating not to be able to have the extra space and separate room for the person who snores. My apologies that we could not accomodate your request.
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

very nice place to stay for the value.we skipped the breakfast, it didnt look great and we wanted to try the well known richmaids up the road. clean rooms, great pillows and recently redecorated. why 200 characters?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the newly decorated rooms have been a hit! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast at Richmaids, it is a popular place to eat in town and we are glad it is nearby. Thanks for staying with us, please come by again!

Been to BEST WESTERN Royal Host Inn? Share your experiences!