“Simple Changes Could Help” 1 of 5 stars

Lodi El Rancho Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   603 N. Cherokee Lane, Lodi, CA 95240   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
California
“Simple Changes Could Help”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Although several colleagues of ours have had relatively positive experiences at the Lodi El Rancho Motel, I regret to report that we did not. The price was really the best factor here, but the overall emotional cost of staying in a dirty room with loud, violent sounding disturbances throughout the night made me wish I had spent the extra money to stay elsewhere. We stayed a total of five nights, and the experience did not improve with time. Upon entering the front office, we smelled a strong antiseptic odor. That same odor permeated the guest rooms, as well. One would think that the smell of antiseptic indicated a squeaky clean room; that was far from the reality. Dark pubic hair inside the drawers prompted me to clean them myself and then line them with plastic bags I fortunately had with me. The carpeting was filthy, with remnants of someone else's corn chip near the refrigerator and what looked like chunks of pet kibble lining the baseboard next to the television cabinet. A wad of gum was on the floor next to the night stand. I wore shoes or slippers the entire time I was in the room because the thought of stepping on the carpet was simply abhorrent to me. There was no evidence that the carpet had been vacuumed until the third day of our five-day stay. One wall perpendicular to the bed was filthy with a thick coating of dust. I do not even want to speculate what bodily fluid was smeared on the acrylic framed picture next to the bed. A long cobweb hung from the dirty lamp shade hanging over the desk. Mirrors in the bed area were dirty and smudged, and spatters of toothpaste covered the bathroom mirror; they were not cleaned until the fourth day of our stay. The sink and faucets were dirty and rusty, with poorly applied caulking smeared around them. A divider between the refrigerator and an area to hang clothes was covered in thick dust. The refrigerator door handle had grease and crumbs covering the surface. The bed was made up with stained sheets. I have no idea what substance was permanently enmeshed in the fabric; it had a stiff consistency, like wax. The box frame had visible stains which looked like blood. Screaming and yelling female patrons of the next door nightclub, who may have also been hotel guests, disturbed our sleep most nights. That said, there were some positives: when the sun rises in the early morning, the bathroom is filled with a lovely sense of morning light; a nice, hot shower was welcome; the microwave and refrigerator were convenient to have; the close proximity to the Grape Festival Grounds was handy for conducting our business. Although the location and clientele of the hotel are things which the owners have little control over, training the housekeeping staff to throughly clean each room and providing them with the tools to do so are simple changes that could reap substantial improvements. Investing in clean linens for the beds would help. Replacing the filthy carpet and restoring the bathroom sinks would also add a lot. The motel itself truly has a lot of potential. We frequent a very similar hotel in Palm Springs which successfully turned an aging facility into a very clever vintage destination. In its heyday, I am sure the Lodi El Rancho Motel was a nice place to stay. It could be again with some effort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3680697, General Manager at Lodi El Rancho Motel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
On behalf of the Management and Staff of the El Rancho Motel, Lodi, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during the course of your stay with us in January, 2013. We appreciate your comments and feedback; it will assist us further developing our quality service for our guests. This type of information is extremely important to our business. Regarding the noise during your stay that was from the Sports Bar right across us which we have no control. Again thank you for your comments! Should you need to discuss this matter in further details, please contact me?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I found myself once again needing to go to Lodi, CA for a few days this time. I did not have to think too hard which motel to stay at. Last visit I stayed at the Lodi El Rancho and was pleasantly surprised with all aspects of my stay from the cleanliness of the rooms to the polite and helpful employees. So I fully expected the same and was not dissapointed, I think the room I had this time even had a new coat of paint done just recently. Also the cost was well with in my means and I understand it probably is the most cost effiecient place to stay and its right off the 99 freeway...(little chance of getting lost) I am a very early morning person and noticed that even at 5 am hot coffee was in the lobby. Another satisfied customer.

Room Tip: ask for a no smoking room I suppose,,,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have stayed a couple times at this Motel. The Motel is clean which was greatly appreciated. The location is right off freeway so easy access on and off the freeway,Good rates,Free internet service and the folks that work in the lobby are very courteous and helpful. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: This was a pleasant stay after a long drive. Good staff,nice comfortable beds,clean room my stay was...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
eugene or
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Price was great, management helpful, location good - close to Grape Festival Grounds. Cleaning staff helpful. It's an older motel, room was small, bathroom shows wear of five decades or so. Heater was tricky, but management brought a space heater to help. No problem at all with noise, bugs etc. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Lodi, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The staff was very accommodating. I had plenty of hot water . The Rooms are clean and the best priced in Lodi. Its close to food and close to the freeway. Over all my stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I needed to stay in the town of Lodi, CA for three days and found a very affordable motel just of interstate 99 freeway. The front desk help was pleasant and efficient and seemed genuinely to be concerned with my well being. I was escorted to a room that was clean and comfortable. The next morning much to my surprise I was hand delivered the local newspaper! For the price I paid for the room I did not expect this service. The second day I returned, and found the room was tidy and clean. Same on the third day, I will return to the El Racnho again the next time I am in Lodi.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
west coast area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

just to name a few...15 min. to get hot water,barking and howling dogs in room next door,t.v. blinking all night,and a parking lot full (esp. around and uner my 2011 truck)...of beer cans,and with second night appearring to be a repet(with add. of people who appeared to be gang members)...I checked out and told to keep sec. night charge..moved to another place!!!

Room Tip: Money isnt worth a peaceful night!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3680697, Manager at Lodi El Rancho Motel, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Management response from Gary Moriswala
(Management representative)
June 26, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feelings. I'm sorry that your stay did not go well. Unfortunately that weekend we had dog show in town & this people had stayed here before & had no problems then. Again, sorry about your experience and the noise. We will do everything we can to fix these problems.

Been to Lodi El Rancho Motel? Share your experiences!