“Book with caution” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   4549 Cross Road, Livermore, CA 94550   |
Novato, California
“Book with caution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Because of what I had seen on "In Wine Country" and gleened from their web site, I did not look into tripAdvisor before booking our stay. I probably would not have booked our stay as many of the comments written were similar to what we had experienced. The garden and outside area are beautiful, Suzanne (the Inn Keeper) was delightful, the breakfast was hearty, but.....the rooms definitely need updating: hot and cold water were switched in the sink and shower; no hairdrier provided; towels, linens and bed coverings definitely needed to be updated; 17" TV...pretty small. I would suggest that the owners of the Purple Orchid take a trip to the Napa or Sonoma Wine Country to see what a "real" wine country experience should include. We were glad that we had chosen a room that was only $150 a night. I can only imagine our dismay if we had stayed in one that was $210. We did peek in on a few other rooms which were similar in decor to ours. Oh, and no air conditioning. We were glad it was only May. A ceiling fan would have been nice.

Room Tip: Wait until they update.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hayward, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We recently had our wedding there and the grounds were awesome, along with the Wedding Staff. I had booked the place out almost a year and half ago and all my dreams came true. The Owners & Management Staff helped guide through the rental companies and we finally selected chivari chairs and dance floor from Classic Rentals. Our caterer Bon Vivant & Kim were just wonderful. My mother-in law had booked the place on Friday night and we had a wonderful BBQ on Friday night. The owners allowed us to have our party start on Friday night where we had a small gathering of friends and family. On Saturday, we had booked 5 facials for my sister and her friends and they had a blast. We were served mimosa’s along with our treatments!

Thank you Purple Orchid! You are a true gem!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

When I think B&B, I think relaxation.

well... that wasn't to be had here. Unfortunately (for us) we showed up on a Sunday when they received an unexpected bridal shower lunch. I really felt for the staff who had to deal with this large group while being unprepared. However, what was not acceptable was the stress that was transferred to us (and I have thick skin). Our stay came with a lunch, and after waiting for 45 minutes, we finally gave up and decided to go somewhere else to eat. I approached the lady running the show who said: "I don't have time for you" while running out. ok then....

The room itself tries to be luxurious, but fails. We had the upgraded suite. No robes, no wine glasses, a phone that I can't even figure out how to call the front desk (and I'm in high tech -- and, no, zero or nine didn't do it). No towel holder anywhere near the sink... but it was large. While touring the room, the great olive trees were pointed out to us right outside our window. Really nice, if you can ignore the empty bottles of coke and other various pieces of trash all over the grounds. Actually nicer to close the shades... and speaking of, I hope light doesn't bother when you sleep if you stay there. Those shades didn't do much to keep light out.

We had breakfast arranged for 9 am the next morning. It showed up at 9:30 (and there were only two rooms in use that night). It was two plates with scrambled eggs, a small muffin, one sausage and fruit, covered by saran wrap. This caused the fruit to taste like sausage, and the eggs were... bleh! We opted to leave the free breakfast behind and find ourselves a decent breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

AFTER I booked this B&B (all rooms) for my family and friends to stay at for our wedding (our wedding was at a nearby winery) they proceeded to book a wedding at the site. We only found out because the onsite wedding coordinator was kind enough to give us a heads up there may be no parking when we returned from our wedding (i.e my 80 year-old mother-in-law may end up walking a half a mile on a dirt road in the dark). They also told us that we would not have the place to ourselves on Friday which we had planned to have the rehearsal dinner at the B&B, but we would have to share it with the rehearsal of the onsite wedding. The point of renting out ALL the rooms was to have the B&B to ourselves. When I attempted to cancel (I didn't sign a contract) no one involved would return my calls including the manager or the owner. The receptionist started playing dumb when I would call, pretending not to know me when I gave my name, even though I spoke with her several times a week (almost everyday near the end). The poor wedding coordinator was the only one who would answer my calls or messages which wasn't her job at all. Kudos to her and her customer service. After mentioning that we had already contacted our lawyer (which we really had) they offered to give us our money back minus a $300+ deposit!!! FOR WHAT causing us a huge hassle? We were advised to take it and be done with the Purple Orchid. I've read several other reviews on various sites where they've double booked and stranded already stressed out brides. DON'T give them your money or your business!! They don't deserve it!! We ended up renting out several rooms at one of the chain hotels and they were AMAZING to deal with!! And my mother-in-law wasn't walking in her fancy dress on a dirt road in the dark!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Jennifer4549, Manager at The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
This is Suzann our Resident Manager. We are perplexed you would Post something 1 year Later & that too something we can address. Please send us your Name & who you talked with at Front Desk, since we do not take Bookings for Non Wedding Reservations till March/April the same Year to avoid these kind of Confusions.

Please let us know what Dates this may have occurred & our apologies since we have changed our Booking System this Year 2010.

Thanks Suzann
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

All our friends, family and even the caterer were breathless when walking onto the property during our wedding reception. The setting here can't be beat. The resort is surrounded by gorgeous green hills, olive trees and vineyards. The grounds are beautiful, dotted with rose bushes and wisteria vines. The sun set as we had cocktails around the pool. The staff let us fulfill all our fantasies decorating the banquet hall. We rented the whole place and the next day some of us treated ourselves to massages after a night of dancing. It was incredible to have the place to ourselves and wake up in that serene setting. We and some of our friends have been back for weekend getaways. It's a unique place to unwind. Feels like you got away to Tuscany, even though it's still in the Bay Area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I stayed at the Purple Orchid Inn for 3 nights this month and had a fabulous time. I drank tea each morning on my private patio and watched the cows grazing against the rolling green hills. I sat in my whirlpool/hot tub with a glass of wine each evening, and listened to absolute silence. It was a great escape from the constant flow of traffic I hear in my city apartment. There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub. I took a long walk each day to explore some of the nearby wineries, and was both impressed with the venues and the wine. The rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated. They reminded me of the Westin hotel heavenly bed and bath concept, but decorated in the personal and unique B&B fashion.

The staff and owner went out of their way to ensure my stay went well: Kaushik, Carolyn, Luis, etc. The breakfast was delicious and always on time. I am a health nut so they made sure I had a bowl of fresh fruit each morning, granola, etc. They provided recommendations on wineries and restaurants in the area, and were a joy to get to know.

Having a spa on the grounds is a big bonus. It appears they have a constant flow of customers from the east bay visiting the spa, so you would want to book in advance. I had a massage one morning from Edin and would highly recommend her. One of the biggest surprises of my trip was how much the Livermore wine country has to offer. There were approximately 30 wineries in the immediate area, a handful of which were walk-able from the Inn. The staff at the wineries were incredibly warm and welcoming. Who would have thought all of this existing in Livermore?

My stay met and exceeding my expectations... can't think of anything negative to say except that I had to drive thru bay bridge traffic to get there. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Purple Orchid Inn and Livermore wine country.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My husband, baby and I stayed one night at the beginning of August for my cousin's wedding...which has a beautiful setting. The downside was that they had a live band and before 10PM we were told somebody had been complaining about the loudness and the party had to be moved inside. Ok, this inn is in the middle of nowhere...and anyhow the music had been approved already...it was a very big party and inside the little ball room it felt very loud and cramped. many people left after the party had to move inside. We stayed in the olive room I believe with an agreement of $170 for one night. They were going to charge $85 to secure it and $85 after we left. Well by the time we got there they had already charged the full amount. But then they charged an additional $85 they've already acknowledged as a mistake. 3 months later and it still has not been resolved. I've begun a dispute with my credit card now. I wasn't upset at first because I know mistakes happen, I am upset now that its been so long and they still haven't taken action to resolve it. Too bad because it is a nice place, breakfast was good...was thinking of returning until now.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa? Share your experiences!