“What a find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Little River B&B and Inns
Alameda, CA
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

I was working with a crew in a Geyserville winery March 20th & 21st. I hadn't been to Mendocino in quite a while, so I decided to drive up the coast and have myself a nice dinner and stay the night in town. I'd stayed in several of the other B&B's near there, but always drove past this one. Thought I'd give it a go this time. Now I won't stay anywhere else!! We knocked off early Friday, so I beat the crowd and got one of their nicest rooms (The Dennen Suite?). The decor is beautiful and Victorian era period perfect. The bed was so comfy - waaay better than mine at home, and my father sells Serta's "Perfect Sleeper" line. Very clean throughout and a delicious home made hot breakfast & coffee served in my room! Spent some time with Fred & Jo (owner - operators). You gotta love these people! I hugged them when I left! I will no longer wait for a "reason" to go to Mendocino and enjoy another stay at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse. Neither should you!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
SF bay area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse 2 separate times. The first time we stayed in a room with nice decor, and furnishings. If you love plush comfortable down bedding, this is the place to bunker down. It was very peaceful and relaxing and the breakfast was just fabulous. We visited a small beach just a short walk away from the Inn , then a short drive to town for an outstanding lunch at a local cafe. So nice. The second time we visited we stayed at Victorian Farmhouse again [since we had such a wonderful experience the first time], but this time we stayed in a little cottage named Quail. Oh my goodness!!! talk about super doper!! This room has a jacuzzi bathtub and a wood burning stove and a kitchen and a nice private deck , an extra room and a telescope!! Plus a second time we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast and stay.
I can't wait to visit the coast again and stay at Dennen's.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Dennen's is a great place to get away on the Mendocino Coast. The rooms are neatly furnished with turn-of-the-century decor. We stayed in one with a cozy fireplace, jacuzzi and ocean view. The beds are very comfortable with feather pillows and electric blankets. The rooms are well insulated so we didn't need to use the electric blanket. Jo and Fred have done an excellent job upgrading this beautiful nineteenth century farmhouse on the east side of Hwy 1 about a half mile south of Little River, a couple of miles south of the town of Mendocino. It is a peaceful getaway. There are no TVs, or phones in the room and no cell phone reception. They do have WiFi which is quite fast, which we used to check restaurants in the area. Fred delivers breakfast each morning to your room. They always ask about food allergies and preferences. My wife and I enjoy good food and coffee and were not disappointed with the delicious gourmet breakfast delivered between 8:30 and 9:30AM. The Innkeepers are not intrusive but respond quickly to any special request or need. My wife likes a very warm bathroom in the morning, so they brought an extra heater for the bathroom. We have not stayed in a lot of B & Bs up there so we don't have a lot with which to compare Dennen's. There are lots of books about the local area available in the registration area. This is quickly becoming one of our favorite destinations set in a truly amazing natural land and seascape. We enjoyed great dinners at Albion River Inn and the Little River Restaurant. The Mendocino Hotel has reasonable lunches as does the North Coast Brewing Company in nearby Ft. Bragg.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We've only stayed in a few B&B, as we prefer 4-star hotels, however, this is our favorite B&B we've ever stayed at. It was amazing to see how much wildlife surrounded this property. They have apple trees in the front of their lawn where the deer will go and feed and let people watch.

We stayed in their Carriage room for 3 nights. The room was large, comfortable and had lots of country charm. It had a cozy wood fireplace that we used every night. The beds were super comfy and warm. They provided fluffy, clean towels every day. The breakfasts were filling and delicious and I loved how they brought breakfast to our room at the requested time every morning. The owners seemed very attentive to their guests.

The only downside was the Carriage room's bathroom was a bit small (only had a shower stall) and the room is probably the least private. You could see and hear people coming and going from behind and in front of the room. Although, they have several other rooms that you could choose from.

Overall, wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Very private and very special. Every morning a deer and her doe breakfasted off the apple trees in the front yard while we ate gourmet breakfasts brought to our room.
The room itself was cozy and charming, with an easy-to-use wood burning fireplace (the iron kind), which we used every chance we could get.
The bed was - and I'm not exaggerating - the most comfortable my wife and I have ever been in in our lives.
The innkeepers couldn't have been more helpful, and got us reservations on a crowded weekend that we would not have been able to get ourselves.
And the inn itself - pretty as a picture, which explains why the legendary Thomas Kincaid painted it years ago.
The location, 5 minutes down the road from Mendocino, was just close enough and just far enough away.
The inn is a bargain at the price, but would be worth going to if it cost 50% more. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Ed & Karen Elbert

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Petaluma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Farmhouse for our first time and loved everything about it. The innkeepers, Fred and Jo, were very nice and made our stay very comfortable. We stayed in the Victorian Suite, which I would recommend to anyone. We have stayed in many vacation rentals and have never had a bed as good as the one we had at the Farmhouse. The homemade breakfast was also very good and something to look forward to in the morning. I would suggest having dinner at the Albion River Inn - its right by the ocean and has great food.

Can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The innkeepers and the room.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We are an elderly couple visiting the Mendocino area together for the first time. We stayed one night at the Victorian Farmhouse and were delighted with both the hospitality, the breakfast, and the accomodations overall. We are happy to recommend this fine bed-and-breakfast establishment.

• Liked — High quality of all aspects
  • Disliked — No complaints of any kind
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse? Share your experiences!