“Little River Inn saved our vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Little River Inn
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7901 North Highway 1, Little River, CA 95456   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Little River
Sacramento, CA
“Little River Inn saved our vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

In June 2009 my husband and I booked a vacation rental online that turned out to be a nightmare, nothing like the pictures and pest infested. After spending one miserable night we got up first thing the next morning and went looking for another place to stay. We had driven by the Little River Inn numerous times over the years and had always said we should stay there, so that is where we went. There was only one room available (since it was a Saturday in June), the Electra suite in Mallory House. It is one of their luxury ocean side rooms and had a price to match. We were a little hesitant to book it because we had already spent quite a bit on the vacation rental from hell. The woman at the front desk was able to give us a discounted rate because the room was going to sit empty for the night if we didn't book it. We decided to go for it. We did not and do not regret spending the money, it was worth every penny!

Mallory House is located about a mile down the road. There are 2 guest rooms on the bottom floor of the house and the entire top floor is the Electra suite. We had a huge private deck with two rockers and a jacuzzi that overlooked the ocean. The view was amazing. Double glass doors opened into an luxurious suite that included a sitting area, tv, fireplace, bar, small eating area and bed. The bathroom was wonderful! A huge jacuzzi tub and separate shower for two all in a sparkling clean, modern design made my day! We were exhausted after the awful first night we spent at the aforementioned vacation rental so we decided to order room service and stay in and enjoy the fireplace, jacuzzi and view. The food was excellent and the room service was fast. The next morning we had breakfast at the restaurant before heading home and it was also excellent and our server was very nice and attentive.

We have plans to head back for a week this summer and can't wait to relax and enjoy the peaceful and rejuvenating atmosphere at LRI. We can't say enough wonderful things about the hotel staff, restaurant staff and superior accommodations. We wouldn't think twice about recommending LRI to a friend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

465 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

We started going to the Little River Inn in 1981, for our honeymoon, and we do our best to return every year. Our favorite room is in a renovated cottage just south of the inn, on the coast side of Highway One. The ocean view is breathtaking and the room incredibly comfortable with a fireplace, a jacuzzi bathtub and a hot tub on the deck. You feel as if you have the whole coast to yourselves. A few days there makes me feel like a noodle, and in these stressful times that's the very best thing.

From the East Bay, it takes just a few hours to get to Little River if you take 101 to 128N through Boonville. The drive through the redwoods is part of the adventure. Window shopping in Mendocino is a great way to spend half the day, and the other half is full of naps, baths and good books. The food is good and consistent, and it's nice to have wine with dinner and just walk back to the room. Don't miss the berry cobbler and Ole's famous hotcakes - totally worth the calories and the work it takes to burn them off when you're back in the "real world".

If I could go monthly, I would. It is a piece of paradise for anyone who loves the Northern California coast.

vacaville, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

There is no place like the Van Damme Cottages at LRI, anywhere. And believe me, I have been trying to find it. I am a full-blown Type A personality. Hyper and curious and insatiable. Usually. Not here. Here I am serene and mellow. I blame it on the oceanside decks with your own personal hot tub/jaccuzzi. Usually I am a late riser, 9:30 or 10:00. Here I rise approx 6:00 am to hop in the hot tub with a cup of coffee (or mimosa) and watch the sunrise. Back into the room to start a fire, curl up with a great book and order down a fabulous breakfast. My parents and friends (Tom and Patty, who introduced us to LRV, bless their hearts) come on over to our place later in the day. We drink wine from the local wineries that we visited on the drive up, and we play board games or cards for a while. Back into our own hot tubs, clean up, then we meet at the wonderful restaurant for a quiet, scrumptious dinner. (Really, the restaurant is very, very good!) Back to our rooms with the fire roaring to watch a DVD. Next day, repeat. Or if I am a little antsy, we hike Van Damme State Park, which is literally right there next to the property. No need to drive. This hike can be simple and rejuvenating, or it can be exhausting, if you like. Mendocino is very close, but we don't bother with that anymore. We just stay at the resort! I look forward to this place every year. Just love it! Oh, and as a little aside, we make a "welcome basket" for the trip. We take a basket we already have and load it with snacks, stuff for mimosas, movies from Netflix or purchased DVDs, books, crossword puzzles, deck of cards, a puzzle, light-up rubber ducky for the hot tub, pillow for the hot tub, Moose Crunch from Harry and David, fruit and mini-muffins. Makes it even more fun!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sonoma Wine Country
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I wanted to surprise my wife with a weekend away. We found out recently that we are pregnant with twins, and I know we won't have too many weekends of leisure for a few years. I was on a budget, but understood what a weekend on the coast would cost. I was very happy with the customer service all around, starting with the woman who helped us book over the phone, to the ladies at reception, the bar staff, the room service and breakfast staff. Everyone was very friendly and did whatever they could to make our stay wonderful. We were looking for a room with an oceanview, fireplace, deck and jacuzzi. no luck on the Jacuzzi as we were only staying one night and only had one week lead time...that was okay though, the Jacuzzi was just a perk. As I said before, the reception staff was very friendly and even introduced us to the house kitty Abby Rose. The room was great. We were in a single story room in a four-plex at the front of the resort. It was a shared deck with two rocking chairs outside..we never saw our neighbors, but it would not have bothered me if we had. The weather turned on us a little and it started to rain lightly. The big chairs inside the room facing the ocean were a nice place to rest and watch the sunset after we moved indoors. The fireplace was great, well prepared and stocked for the whole stay. Bed was comfortable and bath was of decent size. My only room complaint was the TV. A 19" TV from the 90's was a little surprising...online the photos showed flat screen TV's. We went to the bar for appetizers and a beer (for me). The bar food was great and reasonably priced. When it came time for dinner we wanted to stay in our room so we had our meal brought to us. The (server?) was very friendly and even brought a table to make it a little easier. The meal was reasonably priced...even for room service. I was really happy with the Champagne brunch as well, the food hit the spot and the staff was once again, very outgoing and friendly. I would love to stay here again, maybe once the babies are a little older.

Sunnyvale CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

We've stayed at this inn every year for the last 15 years. We look forward to returning to Little River Inn every year and make arrangements for the next year as we checkout. The staff is wonderful and always accommodating. Recommendations to others are to ensure you make the right room selection as not all are created equal. Depending on the type of amenities, space, and privacy a visitor should carefully review the room types to ensure that the booking meets expectations. Given the location and proximity to Mendocino, Ft Bragg, and wine country, Little River is the perfect location to decompress with a great view and comfortable surroundings. Note that most cells phones don’t work (AT&T does, Sprint and Verizon does not) which is a plus when trying to get alone time.

Roseville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

We arrived at little river inn at 930pm and the staff was AMAZINGLY helpful. Even though the kitchen was closed, they offered to find arrangements to get us something to eat for dinner. This was our first trip so we were unsure what to expect with our room (although family who have stayed for decades have proclaimed wonders about the services/views/rooms). We were to amazed to find our room was located 1 and 1/10th of a mile down the road on the ocean side in a little cottage. Our room was EXQUISITE and absolutely breathtaking. We were there for our anniversary for 2 nights and they made sure they had champagne on ice and a note (my husband wrote) on the table when we entered. The room was upstairs and we had no wall neighbors, but our very own deck and jacuzzi/spa that faced the ocean. Mornings were to awake to the crash of the waves and rocking chairs looking out over the cliffs. The rooms were very tastefully decorated, antiques hanging on the walls, and beautiful furniture. It is no wonder this place is so popular and very much worth the price (we paid $350/night).

The dining was exceptional. We enjoyed dinner and breakfast in the main house. Had the scones and a wonderful breakfast. We recommend it to all and will definitely be planning future trips!!!

In contrast to the most recent complaint on these reviews. My husband and I are in our mid 20's and there were MANY younger couples there the time we went. I can't speak for the minorities as I don't specifically look to see how many are in a room at any given time (seems a little tacky).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

It was my first time to mendocino and a friend who has been there many times had said that of all the places to stay, LRI was her favorite. I can see why. The exterior of the hotel is classic and beautiful and the view is spectacular. This was also our first time traveling with our two small dogs. The hotel is very dog friendly with pick-up bags around the walking trails. We booked a fireplace jacuzzi room and it was great. We had #102. It was huge, at least 500 square feet. The room was very clean and tastefully furnished. Only some of the rooms are dog friendly. Our room was a small cottage with no common walls. We were grateful for this as one of our dogs had a barking fit and we were glad not to disturb other guests. But really it is all about the view. The room had a wall of windows looking over the ocean. The rocking chairs on the deck in front of our room were a great place to read with the crashing surf.
The bar and bartender are great. Breakfasts in the restaurant are outstanding. Dinner is good, not great. But they have a great wine list with exceptional prices. I work in the wine trade and was shocked at some of the bargains on their list. Had a reservation mix-up at 'La Petite Rive' across the street so had dinner at the hotel both nights.
Really a great place to relax and get away from it all. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Little River Inn? Share your experiences!