“Perfect getaway to Mendocino” 4 of 5 stars

Heritage House Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5200 N Hwy 1, Little River, CA 95456   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Little River
Benicia, California
“Perfect getaway to Mendocino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

It re- opened in sept 2012 and it is not completely finished yet. But the grounds are lovely and the private accommodations are beautiful. The new owners are taking their time in making the heritage house the jewel again of Mendocino. Most enjoyable environment and staff. Beautiful!

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Forestville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Wish we had more time to spend. Even our short visit was a luxury. Everything was done to make us feel welcome & special. Will definitely try to return. Beautiful restoration with attention to detail. Most gorgeous views on the Mendocino coast. 40 acres to wander in breathtaking beauty. Cozy fireplaces, heated slate floors in the giant bathrooms, comfy beds with an ocean view.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Roseville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We were in Carrousel 1. This property is gorgeous. From the moment we checked in everything was perfect! The room was spotlessly clean. Fireplace, soaking tub, sitting area with a desk, couch and two chairs. On the deck (what a view) two chairs and side tables. We ordered dinner from the restaurant to eat in on Saturday evening. The food was excellent. My husband had the Kobe burger and I had the short ribs. If the resort were full, we did not know it. We only heard the waves - it was perfect. We'll definitely be back!

The Mendocino coast has replaced Monterey/Carmel for these two No. California natives.

Room Tip: As far as we could see - every room has an awesome view. As they finish the restoration, we're...
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Two wonderful days at Heritage House. The room had a great view. The staff was friendly and helpful. We visited twice during the Dennen era when the grounds were intact. There is currently an effort to restore the grounds and renovate the rooms. So nice to see the rejuvenation of such a wonderful spot. We are returning in two months for four days. The old days had no tv or phones. Currently, cell and wifi are spotty, which really wasn't a problem since we were enjoying the quiet ambience anyway.

Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We celebrated our January birthdays together at Heritage House and it was a birthday I shall never forget! Starting from the time we were greeted so warmly by the staff upon our arrival to check out time that came much too soon, we had an incredible time! One of the highlights of the trip was sitting in the restaurant overlooking the seascape and seeing the spouts of migrating whales erupt like geysers from the ocean waters! It was a thrilling sight that we shared with several of the other excited guests! We plan to return soon and often!

Room Tip: Try for unobstructed patio views.
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

As a once resident of the Mendocino Coast, I fondly remember the glory days of the Heritage House back in the 60's and 70's. I was sorry to see it close several years ago and kept an ear open for when someone would come forward and purchase this jewel. That finally happened and I had a chance to visit during the height of their major renovations last year. My wife and I booked a one night stay at the Heritage House, Janurary 2014, as we were taking my 89 years young mother there for her birthday dinner. We had a wonderful time at the restaurant and my mom shared some interesting stories with the staff regarding the Heritage House charm in the 1950's under the Dennens.

Our room (The Sea Cliff) had a fantastic view directly overlooking a small cove that was constantly pounded by the Pacific waves. Our one sunset we saw was fantastic but the sunrise the next morning was unbelievable. I don't think I have ever taken so many pictures in such a short period of time. Our king bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was beautiful with a huge tub and walk in granite tile shower. I'm pretty sure the granite floors were heated but I never confirmed that with the staff. The room was quiet even with the rough surf pounding the coast.

The renovations are still on-going however the work is very organized with minimal inconvenience to guests. I highly recommend you give the Heritage House a try!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Heritage House

I can’t say enough about Heritage House. My husband and I drove up from San Francisco for a weekend getaway and we couldn’t have asked for a better experience. The staff are lovely and accommodating. The check in and out process was swift and hassle-free.

The room was gorgeous (I can’t remember the name, but it was all the way to the left, the last cabins on the cliff) with thoughtful amenities at every corner like L’Occitane bath and body products.

Dinner at the resort was delicious and fairly priced. We tried the burrata appetizer, the beet salad, the venison (I think this was a special) as well as the lobster macaroni. The waitress and bartenders were prompt and knowledgeable on the local area. My favorite perk of the stay was the continental breakfast – which was by far the best complimentary breakfast I have ever received. Beautiful fruits, pastries, yogurt, etc.

I can’t wait to come back again soon. I highly recommended Heritage House to anyone!

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view, but the rooms on the far left are the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Heritage House Resort? Share your experiences!