“Excellent B&B” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Welwyn
“Excellent B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in The Middle Room at Glendeven B&B. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we went on some wonderful walks directly from the house. The rooms was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was delivered at 9am.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is one of my top favorite places I've stayed at. We had a very warm welcome by a guy who I'm assuming was the owner. We were asked what we wanted to drink with breakfast and that it would be delivered to our door at 9am. Also, they had wine time that was just starting. What a great way to start off your stay, free glass of wine and a amuse bouche. He told us that there were chickens and lamas on the property so before we headed to our room we went looking. I loved how each room has a different name to it. The room was new, clean and crisp (not old or flowery). I loved the decorations and it just felt very warm. There was a note with both mine and my boyfriends name on it welcoming us along with a little bag of chicken feed if we wanted to feed the chickens. The note was a very nice personal touch. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were so soft. The breakfast was delicious and light (not leaving you feeling heavy or gross) - the fresh squeezed OJ was amazing!! Before we left we walked the trail and had amazing views of the ocean. When we checked out I asked about where they got this one crazy chicken (i've never seen one like it before)...and the guy went into this hilarious story about his chickens. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a relaxing getaway retreat. I'm planning on going back to stay for longer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to splurge over the long Fourth of July weekend and drive up from SF to stay here, as we don't have the time to take any other type of vacation this summer. I picked the Headlands Suite as I wanted the biggest and best they had to offer. Rachel's Cottage was also available while I was searching, but with the skylights, I decided against it as we like to sleep in whenever possible.

Personally, I would suggest that if you want romance and snuggle time, pick one of the smaller/cheaper rooms with the fireplace, view of the outside, and TV all in one room. With the Headlands Suite, the only way you can cuddle up with your partner and enjoy all three, is to pull down the uncomfortable Murphy bed and rearrange the entire living room. Not very ideal unless you don't want to be close to the person you are staying with, then it would work out perfectly.

Speaking of romance, this is not the place for any morning lovin' as breakfast comes knocking at 9am until you answer the door. We requested them to just knock once and leave the breakfast outside, but 2 out of the 3 mornings, they just kept knocking until one of us got out of bed to answer. I understand that they need to get all of the breakfasts out at one time, but paying attention to the guest's needs should be a priority and if they want their breakfast left by the door, just leave it. Doesn't matter if it gets cold, as even when we did answer the door to grab our basket of food, we went back to bed for an hour. So by the time we ate it, it was cold anyway. Paying $300/nt for one of the better rooms, I expect our requests to be met.

The bed is comfortable and the fireplace is a nice touch. I had concerns with the housekeeping, but management has already informed me that they spoke with the team to help resolve those issues. They did get our food preferences correct each morning as my husband just wanted his eggs plain. I didn't mention my lactose intolerance as I wasn't expecting it to be a huge problem with breakfast. Just be sure your tummy can handle a ton of cream and butter in the morning. We never use cream or butter normally when we cook, so it was on the heavy side for us for sure. And when they say fresh squeezed OJ, it's the stuff you chew and not drink. We took a sip and left it in the basket.

We wouldn't come back as we just didn't feel relaxed after the weekend. Each morning was a hassle for us and made us grumpy. After some alcohol throughout the day and returning to the room later in the night, the room seemed better and more tolerable, but then had to experience it all over again the next morning. We have stayed in a few B&B's (our favorite is nearby in Fort Bragg) and understand the timing of the breakfasts are important, but we chose this place as they deliver it to your door each morning. It was never pointed out that breakfast time is more like an annoying alarm clock that won't stop knocking until you open the door. I feel bad that I talked my husband into splurging and staying here, as we both walked away frowning and just wanting to go home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
La Honda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The other reviewers have said it all. This is a most charming place to stay, made so by John, who is the perfect inn-keeper. He is a very generous and gracious host. I cannot imagine not staying there next time we are in the area. Our room and bed was so comfortable, I ended up buying the sheets!!

There is a new chef in-house, and we joined John, Mike and other guests for a friendly and fun Greek-themed dinner, which began with John's favorite champagne and ended with a visit to feed the llamas before nightfall. It will be wonderful to see how the restaurant develops. And, don't miss the Cobbler's Walk across the headlands, through flower filled meadows, which will take you to the most spectacular tide pools, and if you continue north, you will find access to little private beach coves! Loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in Art's Loft, and enjoyed our breakfast basket on our private deck overlooking the ne...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My girlfriend and i visited the Mendocino area this past weekend for her 30th birthday and I obviously spent way too much time combing through every lodging option in the region to try and find the perfect spot for a decent price. We're not really into the old-timey style and aggressive flower print prevalent at most B&Bs so were hoping for something a big more contemporary and we found it! It was the perfect place to stay and I'd recommend it to anyone.

We stayed in the Van Damme room because it was the only room available in our price range with a private deck at the time I made the reservation, and it was excellent, even better than it looked in pictures. (There was a flat-screen TV too but we never used it.) Everybody was super friendly from the get-go but not aggressively so. The property was beautiful, everything was perfectly clean, the deck was amazing (we even saw a little deer one morning!), the breakfast was delicious and the sheets were so soft we called them "butter sheets." We're super into crossword puzzles and therefore really appreciated the SF Chronicle that came with breakfast. The fireplace was a nice touch too.

On our second day we went to the main lodge to see about buying a bottle of wine and some cheese/crackers to take out to the ocean bluffs and the woman was SO super nice and accommodating -- she actually gave us a bottle of wine and packaged a little to-go container of breads, crackers and cheese, free of cost, for us to take down to the bluffs which were freaking AMAZING.

There were also a few great restaurants within walking distance (about 10 minutes away), which was great because we like to drink so didn't want to have to drive to and from dinner. We had a really lovely birthday dinner at Wild Fish. It was a little scary walking on the highway at night with minimal shoulder but we managed okay.

Also worth mentioning: we're a lesbian couple and felt completely comfortable there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had just arrived from overseas and was really looking forward to a relaxing time in a new part of the US - Mendocino.

From the second we arrived everyone was welcoming and helpful, and everything felt relaxed. We weren't sure what to expect but we walked in to the house with three B&B rooms and it is completely refurbished with beautiful beds, linen, and carpet. It is definitely a home away from home.

We think the price was pretty reasonable given all the amenities, little extras, and a discount for the third night.

The complimentary evening drinks and nibbles is a really nice touch and a chance to meet other guests and learn a little more about the area. The inclusive breakfast was made from beautiful fresh, natural, local ingredients and its a great start to the day!

Located in little river there are some good local walks to the beach and hills and its a 5min drive to downtown Mendocino.

All in all, great place, really comfortable, nice breakfast, good price. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely but if you really want privacy go for your own self contained cottage in th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night in May in Rachel's Cottage. We've stayed in many different B & B's in our travels and this ranks up there as one of our favourites! Upon our arrival across the street at Glendeven Inn we were warmly welcomed and could tell right away that this was a unique place. They have chickens that you can feed (they leave a cute little bag of chicken feed in your room) as well as llama's and bee hives. The cottage was modern and luxurious with one of the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. When we arrived in the cottage there were brownies waiting for us with a hand written note welcoming us. The cottage included a very modern and large bathroom with a nice jacuzzi tub. Right outside the cottage there's an entrance to the Cobbler's Walk which is a short but very scenic walk along the coast. What this made this place particularly special was having breakfast delivered to your doorstep in the morning in a basket. Breakfast was delicious and was made with fresh ingredients right from the property. We highly recommend staying here for a one of a kind experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cobbler's Walk Mendocino? Share your experiences!