“Little Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Eureka, cA
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We dined here for both dinner and then lunch on a recent trip. Dinner was as exquisite in execution and taste as every other 'excellent' review here. Freshness, simplicity and letting the ingredients shine is what the chef is successful with here. Its a place to have a leisurely meal of courses in an intimate setting. The owners and staff are confident and allow for an experience to unfold. This food is beautiful and healthy and they take their time to make sure it is served perfectly. While my husband delightedly savored the foccacia I waited longer for my gluten free roll and it was this beautiful, hot, crisp on the outside bundle of perfection served in a dish brushed in olive oil, sea salt and a bit of herbs. Salads are lightly dressed and large enough for two. Halibut and swordfish were memorable as were the desserts. You've heard it all from others here - believe it. Reading some of the less than excellent reviews I can say this is not a place I would take a baby or kids if they are unpredictable (I don't know a one year old who isn't.) The restaurant exterior belies its fine dining distinction. The setting is very small, intimate and not what you might expect if you do not study the menu in advance like I did. While at lunch, two parties left before ordering, having not found fish and chips nor fried anything. My louie salad excentuated the crab and prawns and fresh vegetables and farm eggs, with just a dotting of louie dressing to accent - perfection. The owners are open and kind and also know what they have here, having worked to make it so. I'm happy for them and for their young chef who I am positive is reaching high in his culinary career. Thanks for making our recent trip so memorable!

Roseville, CA
“Delicious! Great attention to details.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

What a delightful surprise! Charming and delicious. My boyfriend and I shared a delicate mushroom and crab soup, and we both had seafood, he had a spicy crab dish with mussels, and I had a scrumptious petrale sole with crab baked in parchment paper. Loved that the menu had wine recommendations, most were local and they were right on. They served the best gluten free bread I've ever tasted (be sure to ask for it.) Our highlight was dessert, dark coffee served in a french press, creme brulee and a melt-in-your-mouth chocolate mousse made with only water and belgium chocolate. As delightful as the food were the owners, Kelvin & Liz who served us and made us feel very welcome. We'll be back next time we're in town! Don't forget to call for reservations, this place is small and fills up quickly!

London, England
“Go with the positive reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We drove past this place in daylight, but were pleased we could find it in the dark. It is intimate with very friendly service and great cooking! The fish is clearly seasonal and the black cod was delicious. Just what we wanted - nothing fancy, just allowing good ingredients to do their thing.

Roseville, California
“Very small and loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The food might have tasted better if the music wasn't playing so loud and everyone talking even louder to be heard over the piped in music. Got the swordfish and snapper. Both were fresh but snapper salty and swordfish kind of tasteless. I know all the reviews say this place is great but for $34 a plate I thought it was ok food in too small of a restaurant with too much noise. So just ok.

Burlingame, California
“A MUST!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Don't let the outside fool you! Small and intimate space inside, with perfect decor. The food was fantastic! My husband and I shared the brussel sprout Caesar salad, LOVED! He had the poached cod and I had the sole stuffed with crab, both cooked to perfection. If you come here, make sure to save room for their sticky toffee pudding, YUM!! Service was great, some would probably think it slow, but we loved that they took their time instead of rushing the courses.
This will be a must stop for us whenever in the area.

• Visited February 2014