“not too good” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Stockton,CA
“not too good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Food ok; no atmosphere; too small, therefore too close to other diners; felt like people were listening to my conversation--and it wasn't even that interesting; can't recommend it

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City, MO
“Great little place in Little River - must try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Decided to give Wild Fish a shot for dinner one night on our trip - or at least try. They're not open until dinner time, but I emailed them around 9 AM to see if they had availability and they responded in like 10 minutes and said yes, which was nice. Got there right at 6:30, got seated at a nice table (only 8 tables in the entire restaurant, I think). The place is run by a charming British couple, who seemed to really appreciate our business. Started off with a bottle of fume blanc (well priced, by the way) that was local and very good. We split the organic kale salad as an appetizer (which would end up being the only minor nit of this dining experience later on), and it was absolutely fabulous! Yes, kale! But it tasted great, had some nice things in it that I can't really remember now, maybe some pine nuts and a touch of blue cheese or Humboldt Fog goat cheese. Either way, it was a great salad! For the entrees, my wife got the halibut and I got the steelhead, which I had to ask what it was. I had heard the term used to describe Salmon before, but as they explained, it could be trout or could be salmon, and now that I think about it, I don't quite understand even now. I'm pretty sure it tasted like salmon to me, but even if it was trout it was absolutely delicious. The skin was great, as was the meat of the fish. I mean just really fresh and delicious. Skin was crispy, much better than the skin I might normally even peel completely off salmon. For dessert, of course with all the raves about the sticky toffee pudding, I had to try that, and I was not disappointed. It really was out of this world. Really more like cake than pudding, with a nice toffee or butterscotch sauce and some vanilla ice cream with it. And coffee, which was also great. Great tasting coffee, nice and hot. And the bill wasn't all that bad considering these were over $30 entrees and a bottle of wine and dessert and my wife had port and I had coffee. I think it was only like $130 or $140? But the one thing that bugged us was that they added a $2 charge for splitting the salad. We recalled having been asked if we wanted a separate plate for each of us when we said we wanted to split the salad, and wonder now if that's what added the $2 splitting charge. As Cheryl said, we could've just had one plate and passed it back and forth between us. Anyway it really was a delicious dinner. The reviews I'd read were wildly disparate - either absolutely great or absolutely horrible and nothing in between. I'm giving it an absolutely great review. Other than the splitting charge, the food was fantastic, the setting/ambiance was great, we were there after sunset but it has a great view of the ocean and would be a nice place to eat at sunset. Just remember to make reservations whenever you commit to eating here. I'd go back.

Visited February 2013
Eureka, California
“BEST food ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a lovely lunch I had with a good friend today. The perfect day sitting at tables overlooking the bluffs and sea! Small space but BIG taste in the food! Wonderful owners, very hospitable. Service was excellent and very personal. The selections were wonderful....hard to decide what to have!! The "catch of the day" was fish-cakes, purple potatoes roasted to perfection, lovely crisp greens....a tangy oriental spicy sauce for the fish cakes. DELISH!! Great wine and beer list as well. You must not miss this restaurant while visiting the north coast of California. Just a couple miles south of Mendocino! This food just can't be beat! I am a "local" and will return often.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pleasant Hill, California
“One of the finest dining experiences anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was lucky that this place was recommended by a co-worker. It's location behind a gas station and market may at first be a bit off-putting until you walk inside. Smallish with perhaps a dozen tables we were seated right at a window table. The owners each came out personally to explain the entrees and it was clear they have the highest regard for the quality of their food and their customers satisfaction and enjoyment. The quality of the food and ingredients would be enough to place this restaurant among the finest in any City, but it's unique and charming location overlooking the water is not to be beat. If this place was in a major city you would never be able to get a reservation due to it's popularity. I cannot praise highly enough the food, from the amuse-bouche to the most delicious dessert ever. We had a fabulous time and will definitely be back.

Visited March 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“One of the Worst in our Lives”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We ate here at the end of August 2012. It was undoubtedly on of the worst and most expensive meals we have had in many, many years. The clam chowder was mostly water and our grandson literally threw up at the table as he tasted his meal. Please go next door to the deli or across the highway to the Little River Inn Bar and Restaurant.
In addition the prices were way out of line.
I have waited this long to write this review as I wanted to be sure I had the same opinion after all these months. I do.

• Visited August 2012