“Great lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ethel Red’s is located across the street from the Best Western Plus and Travelodge. I understand from locals that this restaurant has gone through several iterations over the past 20 years. It used to be the Cotton Club, then J &D Steakhouse. Per the guy at the register (who I later found out was also the owner), it has been Ethel Red’s for the past two.

I came here for lunch with work colleagues on a recent business trip to NAS Lemoore. Two of my colleagues are local to the area and often talked about how great Ethel Red’s is, especially their burgers and steaks, so I had to try it out before I left. For breakfast and lunch, customers placed their order at the counter and they are given an order number. At dinner, customers can order from the table. Once it is ready, the order is brought to the table. The prices were reasonable. A generous bowl of chicken salad was less than $4. The fish and chips I ordered arrived in a charming cast iron kettle. With an open seating plan, customers can choose their table. The main dining area features tables and a bar and booths along the wall. One side of the bar is stand up and on the other side, there are stools to sit on. I liked the openness of the main dining room as well as the Wild West décor. It was a fun place to have lunch and I wish I had visited during the earlier part of my business trip.

• Visited February 2013