“OK stop over on a road trip” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lebec
Annapolis, Maryland
“OK stop over on a road trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

While returning to San Diego, we chose to stay overnight at this facility, rather than try to drive over the Grapevine in bad weather in the dark. We called ahead of time to reserve a room, and our reservation was ready. The room was adequate--fine for overnight sleeping. Bed slightly firmer than I like, but lots of pillows. Plenty of room for the three of us. The bathroom was definitely minimalist. Like other reviewers, the walls are thin, can hear everything from the hall way (don't think there were other people in the adjacent rooms). And being right off the interstate, there is definite rumbling from the tractor-trailer rigs.
Did not take advantage of the breakfast, as we really needed to get on the road in the morning. Did notice as we were checking in that there were old pastries still left out on the counter. Would not have touched them in the am!

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chilliwack, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We were willing to deal with a fan that sounded like a small helicopter in distress (we had to use it or we would have been up all night from the noise). We were willing to deal with screaming babies (twins) next door (very poorly insulated walls/hallways). But when I woke up to find someone else's foot dirt at the bottom of my bed...that was the straw that broke this mother's back! They had a big to do about dragging the head of the cleaning staff into the room to look. What is she going to say - yeah I don't bother putting on clean sheets on occasion? She then swore she had changed the sheets herself. To their credit...$25 was taken off of our bill. But it put us off of Best Western all together. It seems to be hit and mostly miss with this company. We stayed at one in Rice Hill, Orange/Centre Drive by Disneyland, Island Palms (San Diego), and then this one. The only one I would go back to is the one a few miles off from Disney (only issue was a very uncomfortable pull out for the kids...so much so that we had to get a cot and then pay an extra $10 so our kids could get a decent night's sleep)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and toddler in November after Thanksgiving. The room was above the lobby and the walls were so thin we could hear all the conversations the hotel staff had over the phone. The room itself was adequate. The breakfast spread was impressive with a good variety including cereal, danishes, bread and bagels for toasting, oatmeal packets, hot drinks, juice, and whole fruit. There were even some hard boiled eggs on a chilled platter which is more than what most continental breakfasts offer. I noticed that the hardboiled eggs were peeled, however, which meant that someone had to have peeled them, and I hope they had clean hands when they did that. I also noticed there were no common-use tongs to pick up the danishes/bread or eggs with, so people would just reach in and grab them, and hopefully not touch the food they were not taking. I saw one kid reach in for a danish, then change his mind, and grab another one, so I think they should provide tongs. I would recommend this place for a short stay since it is convenient and reasonable when traveling along the 5; just beware of the food hygiene.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Santa Rosa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

All in all, I prefer the chain hotel a few miles up the road to the south, where we stayed last time. Staying on the north side of the Grapevine is incredibly convenient, as you leave in the morning, headed north, with no traffic and a fast ride. But this hotel just doesn't deserve to be a Best Western. The rooms are very large. But the amenities are minimal for a first-class motel -- no easy chair, no Kleenex (!), low-quality sheets, a too-firm mattress, and the continental breakfast is undistinguished.

Luck of the draw, the young man who checked us in (a local college student) went out of his way to be helpful -- even offered to carry our bags, and directed me to the nearest convenience store. So I rate the service very high indeed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

We stayed as a stopping point while traveling up I-5. We selected the hotel based on the pool for the children to get some activity. The pool was not clear and we did not go in it.
Continental breakfast was primarily pre-packaged pastries and some small apples. The Orange juice had turned sour in the machine. Jehovah witness magazines on the coffee table in the hotel lobby.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of pool maintainence
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2007

We stayed at the BW Liberty in Lebec with a group of families on a trip to Magic Mountain. The hotel is about a half-hour drive from Magic Mountain, over the Grapevine (mountain pass.) We chose it because of the indoor pool. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and basic, without fridge or microwave. Continental breakfast was apples & oranges, sweet rolls, fruit juice, coffee, cereal, and toast with margarine and jelly. No protein of any kind, not even cream cheese. But the hotel is right next to a truck stop, and in the midst of an outpost of fast food joints and gas stations on the busy freeway. There is a Panda Express drive through AND a Starbucks drive through right across the street, among many other offerings close by. Please note that the hotel isn't actually IN Lebec, it's off of exit 219 just south of the place where the 99 merges into the 5 freeway. So be sure to watch out for it before you arrive in Lebec when traveling southward.

The walls are thin and we could hear every footstep of our upstairs neighbor, so if you're an early or light sleeper you might consider staying upstairs. I didn't see an elevator, though, so if you have a lot of heavy bags, downstairs is best. We could hear lots of road noise from the busy freeway right outside; it's the main thoroughfare for semi trucks, which tend to be loud. The air conditioner fan helped dull the noise and let me sleep.

An indoor pool is hard to find in California, and a great bonus for families traveling in the winter! The water was cool, but there is a hot tub and sauna to warm up in. Also, it gets quite steamy and stays warm in the pool room itself. The pool is open 7am to 11pm so there's plenty of time to frolic in the water before and after an amusement park trip.

All in all I thought this hotel was quite decent and would stay there again, especially if I were to have time to use the pool. If I didn't plan on swimming I would probably stay closer to Magic Mountain as there are lots of hotels very close to it.

• Liked — Indoor pool, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Road noise
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nor Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

Decided to stay here on our drive down from San Jose for Thanksgiving, arrived after 10pm, but had a reservation, good thing as hotel had no rooms available. Room was very large and clean, could hear the 5 freeway a bit but we were so glad to have beds to sleep in that the noise was not bothersome! Breakfast consisted of cereals, toast/pasteries, juice/coffee/tea-good enough for free. Would stay here again in the future when needed, easy on/off too.
One more thing, made my reservation over the phone and was quoted over 100 (103 I think) but when I checked in the person told me that was crazy and reduced my rate to 85, so that was a very nice surprise!

• Stayed November 2005

Been to BEST WESTERN Liberty Inn? Share your experiences!