“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

61953 Huntington Lake Road, Lakeshore, CA 93634   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Lakeshore
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We arrived 6/23/12 for the concert at China Peak. We did last minute booking so other places had no vacancy. We thought it would be fine from pictures but had no idea what we were getting into. We paid for the room (cash), drove to the cabin and we were shocked. First of all the room looked like something straight out of scary movie where you wake up with missing organs. The room smelled of urine and the window was left open with a torn screen. we assumed animials some how got into the room and urinated inside. The cabin was so tiny I would have been better in my tent. As I go into the room i see cobwebs from the wall to the bed. I removed them with my shoe and on the bed is a big black spider runs that from the side of the mattress to in between the mattress and box spring. So i lift the mattress while my wife smashes it on the box spring. we are ready to leave. As we walk out to return to the office we see another black spider on the wall. we return to the office wanting a refund! we have only been there for less than 10 minutes so we feel their will be no problem. WRONG!!! If you decide to check in you see two offices. The one the left is the nice lady ready to check you in, the office on the right is the owner. When we returned and explained to the lady on the left about the smell of urine, broken cabin window, spiders and cobwebs, the lady on the right snapped and said this is the mountains and spiders do live out here! WOW. I explained i understand but spiders with dirty cabin and broken window and smell of urine is not exceptable. She had a bitter look on her face even from when we checked in 10 minutes ago. My wife and i were in shock. The nice lady on the left explained that is the owner and tried to smooth it over and say "it is not you guys, she is upset at the house keeping". yea right! The owner stormed off to go inspect the cabin. I went to sit in the truck and when the owner returned she did not even have the respect to look my wife in face and return ot the office. I again am now outside sitting in my truck so i see the owner drive back and pass the office up and drive to the next building. She called from the next building over and told the nice office lady to tell us there is nothing wrong with the cabin and we CAN NOT get a refund but only look and another cabin. We had no choice at this point so we had to except another cabin. The other cabin was called the Honey Moon Sweet. HORRIBLE!!! again, this was no better than the first one. In the tiny kitchen is a window and when you look through the window you see the toilet. I am not kidding so when my wife would use the rest room she would make a joke of not to look through the window. lol we made the best of it and being no TV we tried to use our phones but guess what, you need to pay $10 to WI FI. lol Can this get any better? when you turn the sink on to wash hands, rust,blood colored water comes out first then turns clear. shower floor is covered in rust and my wife refused to use it. My wife woke me up at 4am,6am,8am with the same question. CAN WE LEAVE? lol o yea and one last thing. this place is located next to a saw mill or something. they cut trees and make boards for buildings. So at 8am on the dot we heard a saw turn on and the workers begin their day. We should have seen this coming right from when we checked in. The room is falling apart on the office so instead of fixing it, the owner just threw a big black tarp over a big section of it. same color as the spiders. hope this helps.

Room Tip: Sleep somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Lakeshore Resort was built in 1922 and our cabins range in age from 70 - 80 years old. We take great pride in our cabins and that we are a rustic resort. Every cabin has a photo on the internet of the actual cabin with a floor plan, approximate square footage, and description of the cabin. The reviewer should have been fully aware of the size of the cabin when booking the room. When the reviewer checked in, they immediately came down and complained about the cabin so I took off to check the cabin and see what was wrong. I wanted to check the cabin personally to see if my housekeepers missed anything because they are all new for the season, I did not find their complaints valid. I did not see any torn screen nor did I see any spiders and I did look under the mattress. I smelled what seemed to be a cabin that had just been cleaned, the cabin did not smell like urine at all. We offered the guests another cabin. We were informed by the guests that they had a fear of spiders. I did inform them that spiders live in the mountains. There isn't much you can do about them.

The cabin the guests ended up staying in is one of our cutest cabins at the top of the hill. Because of the steepness of the cabin, it's impossible to look into the restroom of the cabin so I have no idea what the complaint is about but will surely look into it. As far as our mill is concerned, we do mill our own lumber to upgrade and fix this resort. We do this because it is affordable and it makes sense. The mill usually does not start till 10am and we try and not run it on weekends, my apologies for the mill running too early.

These comments are hurtful and untrue. Complaints, if valid, are heard and taken into consideration always. We state clearly on our website and in our arrival information what to do in case of a problem. There were no problems, this reviewer simply doesn't like what we offer. We don't claim to be anything more than what we are and we offer, clean, cozy cabins in the mountains. Since they didn't like the cabin, I thought the upgrade to our little "honey moon" cabin would make them happy. I did not see the guests waiting to speak to me, I saw my clerk taking them to another cabin, my apologies.

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We went with our 2 small children for 4 nights to enjoy the great outdoors without the hassles of typical tent camping. Overall we had a great time because we made the best of it, and the greater Huntington Lake area is beautiful.

That being said, Lakeshore Resort could be a quaint, rustic, beautiful place if some effort was put in to maintaining the grounds and making the property presentable. Our cabin was decent - it met our needs. We were not looking for anything fancy although I've been told our cabin was one of the nicer ones (D8). Some cabins had picnic tables but ours unfortunately did not. The linens are worn but the beds were comfortable, the water was hot and the stove/oven worked well. But, the shower is dingy and the worst part was that the carpet was extremely stained and so it made the cabin seem very dirty.

It was hard to keep the dirt out of the cabin because there is no pine straw or wood chips outside to help keep the dusty dirt down - The dusty dry dirt is tracked in each time you enter the cabin. Fortunately there was a broom and dustpan which helps somewhat.

We understand there was a tremendous amount of snow this winter, but Lakeshore could do better in trying to keep their repairs to buildings a little neater and less disruptive to guests' experience. The place is like a giant construction zone, and everything looks very dilapidated and run down. My kids asked if the General Store was a haunted house when we pulled up because the stairs on the side are literally falling off. The worst part is that there are construction vehicles parked everywhere, just sitting around, which are total eyesores for guests. Bulldozers, Haulers, etc. just sitting in the lots between the cabins and the RV park, and by the main buildings, which takes away from the "nature" experience. The staff zooms all around the property at top speed in their little trucks hauling debris, and by the way, there are piles of debris everywhere. Lots of trees cut down, laying around, lots of stumps. It is a real shame that they don't take more pride in keeping the grounds looking nice in such a beautiful forest.

Even from the front of the property closest to the lake, where you might catch a glimpse of the lake, there are industrial vehicles in your line of sight and tarps covering more junk.

In regards to the staff, a young man named Aman in the front office is very polite and friendly. Other than that, we never encountered anyone that was a real "Grown Up." Just 20-somethings who did not care to be polite or friendly, nor who could answer our questions about things to do in the area. When I asked about fishing I was told I had to figure it out myself! Again, they could do better. They could provide guests with a 1-pager map of the key things to see/do in the area and this would be a nice touch (we picked one up at the Mono Hot Springs resort.)

If I owned this place, I would put more effort into making the grounds presentable. I would remove carpet from the cabins and lay pine straw outside the front doors but away from the fire pits. I would give each cabin a picnic table. I would confine all hauling and construction vehicles to an area out of guests' sight, or put up a wall to hide it all. I would keep piles of debris limited to this area as well. I would also invest in staffers who are knowledgeable and friendly to guests, and provide an orientation sheet for those new to the area.

I had read the reviews and sadly did not have high expectations. But, we will not return. It's a shame because there are wonderful things to do nearby. We enjoyed a boat ride on the Lake at Huntington Lake Resort (which is beautiful), a day trip to Mono Hot Springs (which is amazing!) a hike to Rancheria Falls, and a hike to the Indian Pools behind China Peak.
I hope for their sake, Lakeshore can turn it around.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
There are a lot of valid points in this review. We do have a lot of equipment and things going on here at the resort. Last year (2010/2011) in particular with the heavy snow, we were really inundated with repairs. We lost decking, roofs and we could not use our Lodge Hall as it had to be reinforced and fixed because of the heavy winter.

Because we are a business that does not operate out of our means, we do all our projects on our own. We do not hire outside contractors, everything is handled by our staff on hand. This is how we keep costs down and remain in business during such tough times.

We do provide books in all the cabins with information on what to do in the area and we work hard to train staff to be diligent and informed on what is happening around the lake.

All and all, I understand this reviewer and the best information I can give is that this year looks really great around here. Last year, we were barely out of the snow when they visited us. We have a great crew of people and are working hard daily to improve this resort as we always have. Winter takes a toll on us, it amazes me every year the damage after the winter months. We maintain a fleet of equipment for snow removal, construction, log movers, just about anything you need to do to get the work done. Think if you had to rent this equipment on a regular basis to get projects done?

It's easy for someone on the outside to say what they would do if they owned a resort of this size and age. It's not an easy task. Over the years, we have improved our resort with out the aid of outside loans, we live within our earnings and do our best to improve even with the limits put upon us by the world we live in. I hope that this guest will return because we are always improving.
rocklin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I no longer wonder about their" no refund policy," the place is a complete dump! The owner is extremely rude and the place should be shut down by the forest service or health department. I wish I would have seen these reviews before I booked my vacation BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lakeshoregabster, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
The owners, managers and staff would like some details regarding this particular stay. It is difficult to know exactly what the issue was with this guest and why they were so unhappy. What is the definition of being "rude". Typically, we train our staff to be as kind as possible however, we also do not allow them to be treated poorly by a guest that is in a bad mood or unhappy and unwilling to resolve a problem. We work hard to address any and all situations in the departments. Weather it's the restaurant, store or cabins, our goal is to give the guests a great experience. Sometimes, people come here with expectations that we can not meet. We offer a full service website with photos of all of our cabins and information about all facilities.

Since there is no reference to what the actual problem was with the stay, I believe this review to be completely irrelevant. At Lakeshore Resort, we are a small mom and pop business trying to survive in a horrible economy. Perhaps they are calling it squaller because of the recent snow damage, perhaps it is because we have needed equipment on the property? I don't know because the reviewer did not post exactly what the problem was.

Just this year we have replaced the roof on the restaurant, roof on the old hotel/store. We have also repaired porches on cabins and are working towards getting approval for the Lodge Hall damage. We are working very hard as always to provide a great get away without the hassle of camping. I invite this reviewer to contact me personally so we can find out exactly what the problems were.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were very let down by Lakeshore Resort. We read a lot of Lakeshore's reviews prior to making our reservations and thought that the positive reviews outweighed the negative reviews. Not only that, but the management went on line and responded to the negative reviews to what we thought answered some questions. Make no mistake, the bad reviews are accurate and if you have an opportunity to go up to the "resort" and check out the cabins prior to putting any money down, do it! Please understand that this is the first time we have ever written a review and we just want to make sure you do not waste your money and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
In regards to this review, there are no specifics to respond to so it is difficult to address any one issue. Lakeshore Resort was built in 1922 and we try and maintain an "old time" feel. We are continually repairing snow damage, fixing and upgrading the cabins. Our appliances are fairly new, we feel we have comfortable beds and we have an excellent cleaning staff. To be rated a 1 for cleaning, service and sleep quality with no back up for the complaint is very upsetting. I fear that people come to the mountains with an expectation that we cannot meet. We pride ourselves on being a small family operated business and we care greatly about this resort. The money earned goes right back into the property to make improvements and let me tell you, it is a labor of love to operate this establishment. There is nothing like it in anywhere in the state. It is a true gem and is very special to many people.

Some cabins are older than others some are more upgraded than others but we can't do all the cabins at once. The cabins themselves are all listed on our website with full photos of every unit inside and out so you can see exactly what our units look like. We don't misrepresent ourselves at all, however we do expect the guest to take responsibility for their own happiness and fun by enjoying the experience rather than complaining about every little detail and in this case, obviously the guest didn't come to the office to complain and take care of the issues. We welcome feedback if it is justified and listen to honest complaints.
Valencia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Did our annual 4th of July camping trip to Huntington Lake. This year we decided to stay in a cabin due to the snow ...YES snow in JULY! We had a great time and stayed at Lakeshore Resort. It was everything we needed, and saved us a headache of packing tents etc.... The cabins were fully loaded with a kitchen, fridge,shower, bathroom, beds everything you need to make camping COMFORTABLE!!! We'll be back next year, the cabin to stay in is D8 or C1.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This is not a "resort" ha! ha! I do NOT recommend staying here especially during the winter. They are "heated" but good luck with it actually heating the cabin. Also bring your own blankets & pillows because the skimpy ones they provide are not adequate to stay warm. Also bring a generator cause they have many no refund policies including when the power is out, so are you! Be prepared for the worst so you won't be surprised by their unprofessional attitude towards good paying guests. Bring your own cooking items too, I have seen almost all the cabins when a group of friends go up & NONE will ever have the basic cooking items you will need to cook & eat with. I just wish the staff would step it up with some courtesy & at least TRY to make it a pleasant atmosphere. That is always a great way to make up for where it is lacking in so many other places. I know it's 85 years old & don't expect the Hilton but there needs to be some basic upgrades done to improve the place just like any "resort" does to their property. Seems like they've upgrade a whopping 1 cabin in the five years since I started going up there. Get-R-Done apparently isn't in their vocabulary. I do recommend the restaurant - food & service was great! As a small business owner - I really see them missing out on some key factors in the hospitality department.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lakeshoregabster, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
In response to this review I must say that we at Lakeshore Resort by no means ever felt we gave the impression of poor customer service or bad hospitality especially during the period when we lost power this last New Years, 2010/2011. We feel our staff acted exemplary and tried to help the customers the best we could. Everyone did their best to maintain a positive attitude and I personally never heard anyone being rude to a guest. All the staff members were in the same predicament as the guests having no power. I personally witnessed very caring employees doing their best to make everyone comfortable. We were shoveling, pulling stuck people out of the snow, thawing out pipes and passing out oil lamps. I personally helped people with extra blankets and lighting and delivered the best service I could have. I will say that my staff cannot read minds and if you need something, you might have to ask for it.

We do provide all the basic cooking and eating supplies for the capacity of the cabin. The cabins are regularly inventoried during cleanings and we do our best to re-supply. Sometimes, people don't return items to cabins that are used in other cabins as well but our policy is that we will get what ever you need from the supply area if asked. We provided guests with pans on two separate occasions from the restaurant during this time and we even baked a meal for one of our guests that needed it heated up.

It was not our desire for the power to go out during one of our busiest times of year. We had been fully booked in our cabins for the holidays for several weeks turning people away. When the power goes out which it can do in the mountains due to heavy snow storms, we provide oil lamps for the cabins and what ever we can to make the guest feel comfortable. Most people enjoy the power being out and think of it as romantic and fun. We kept our bar, restaurant, lodge hall and store open and provided fireplace heat, music, drinks and fun. We all worked very hard to try and turn a difficult time into a fun time for all. The heaters work in most of the cabins when the power is out. The temperature during this time hit negative 5, this is the mountains so you must expect some crazy things to happen. I have to say that I was very proud of my staff and myself as we kept positive and did our best to help everyone during a circumstance that was totally out of our control.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Lakeshore Resort is one of our favorite vacation spots, without a doubt! We have been here several times and have loved it more each time. Stunning setting, cabins nestled in the woods, rustic (but comfy, cozy and all the amenities you need in the woods), private, and walking distance from the lake. A great bar (should you want a pint), a yummy restaurant, and a fantastic general store, with everything you'd need. And it is a perfect place for kids. Our nine year old son said this was his favorite place he's ever been!(and we've been to some great places!) The people are welcoming and attentive. It truly is a diamond in the rough....we will come back as often as we can. We also had great luck with the fishing!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lakeshore Resort? Share your experiences!