“squalor on the mountain” 1 of 5 stars

Lakeshore Resort
61953 Huntington Lake Road, Lakeshore, Huntington Lake, CA 93634   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeshore
rocklin
“squalor on the mountain”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I no longer wonder about their" no refund policy," the place is a complete dump! The owner is extremely rude and the place should be shut down by the forest service or health department. I wish I would have seen these reviews before I booked my vacation BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lakeshoregabster, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
The owners, managers and staff would like some details regarding this particular stay. It is difficult to know exactly what the issue was with this guest and why they were so unhappy. What is the definition of being "rude". Typically, we train our staff to be as kind as possible however, we also do not allow them to be treated poorly by a guest that is in a bad mood or unhappy and unwilling to resolve a problem. We work hard to address any and all situations in the departments. Weather it's the restaurant, store or cabins, our goal is to give the guests a great experience. Sometimes, people come here with expectations that we can not meet. We offer a full service website with photos of all of our cabins and information about all facilities.

Since there is no reference to what the actual problem was with the stay, I believe this review to be completely irrelevant. At Lakeshore Resort, we are a small mom and pop business trying to survive in a horrible economy. Perhaps they are calling it squaller because of the recent snow damage, perhaps it is because we have needed equipment on the property? I don't know because the reviewer did not post exactly what the problem was.

Just this year we have replaced the roof on the restaurant, roof on the old hotel/store. We have also repaired porches on cabins and are working towards getting approval for the Lodge Hall damage. We are working very hard as always to provide a great get away without the hassle of camping. I invite this reviewer to contact me personally so we can find out exactly what the problems were.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were very let down by Lakeshore Resort. We read a lot of Lakeshore's reviews prior to making our reservations and thought that the positive reviews outweighed the negative reviews. Not only that, but the management went on line and responded to the negative reviews to what we thought answered some questions. Make no mistake, the bad reviews are accurate and if you have an opportunity to go up to the "resort" and check out the cabins prior to putting any money down, do it! Please understand that this is the first time we have ever written a review and we just want to make sure you do not waste your money and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
In regards to this review, there are no specifics to respond to so it is difficult to address any one issue. Lakeshore Resort was built in 1922 and we try and maintain an "old time" feel. We are continually repairing snow damage, fixing and upgrading the cabins. Our appliances are fairly new, we feel we have comfortable beds and we have an excellent cleaning staff. To be rated a 1 for cleaning, service and sleep quality with no back up for the complaint is very upsetting. I fear that people come to the mountains with an expectation that we cannot meet. We pride ourselves on being a small family operated business and we care greatly about this resort. The money earned goes right back into the property to make improvements and let me tell you, it is a labor of love to operate this establishment. There is nothing like it in anywhere in the state. It is a true gem and is very special to many people.

Some cabins are older than others some are more upgraded than others but we can't do all the cabins at once. The cabins themselves are all listed on our website with full photos of every unit inside and out so you can see exactly what our units look like. We don't misrepresent ourselves at all, however we do expect the guest to take responsibility for their own happiness and fun by enjoying the experience rather than complaining about every little detail and in this case, obviously the guest didn't come to the office to complain and take care of the issues. We welcome feedback if it is justified and listen to honest complaints.
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Did our annual 4th of July camping trip to Huntington Lake. This year we decided to stay in a cabin due to the snow ...YES snow in JULY! We had a great time and stayed at Lakeshore Resort. It was everything we needed, and saved us a headache of packing tents etc.... The cabins were fully loaded with a kitchen, fridge,shower, bathroom, beds everything you need to make camping COMFORTABLE!!! We'll be back next year, the cabin to stay in is D8 or C1.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This is not a "resort" ha! ha! I do NOT recommend staying here especially during the winter. They are "heated" but good luck with it actually heating the cabin. Also bring your own blankets & pillows because the skimpy ones they provide are not adequate to stay warm. Also bring a generator cause they have many no refund policies including when the power is out, so are you! Be prepared for the worst so you won't be surprised by their unprofessional attitude towards good paying guests. Bring your own cooking items too, I have seen almost all the cabins when a group of friends go up & NONE will ever have the basic cooking items you will need to cook & eat with. I just wish the staff would step it up with some courtesy & at least TRY to make it a pleasant atmosphere. That is always a great way to make up for where it is lacking in so many other places. I know it's 85 years old & don't expect the Hilton but there needs to be some basic upgrades done to improve the place just like any "resort" does to their property. Seems like they've upgrade a whopping 1 cabin in the five years since I started going up there. Get-R-Done apparently isn't in their vocabulary. I do recommend the restaurant - food & service was great! As a small business owner - I really see them missing out on some key factors in the hospitality department.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lakeshoregabster, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
In response to this review I must say that we at Lakeshore Resort by no means ever felt we gave the impression of poor customer service or bad hospitality especially during the period when we lost power this last New Years, 2010/2011. We feel our staff acted exemplary and tried to help the customers the best we could. Everyone did their best to maintain a positive attitude and I personally never heard anyone being rude to a guest. All the staff members were in the same predicament as the guests having no power. I personally witnessed very caring employees doing their best to make everyone comfortable. We were shoveling, pulling stuck people out of the snow, thawing out pipes and passing out oil lamps. I personally helped people with extra blankets and lighting and delivered the best service I could have. I will say that my staff cannot read minds and if you need something, you might have to ask for it.

We do provide all the basic cooking and eating supplies for the capacity of the cabin. The cabins are regularly inventoried during cleanings and we do our best to re-supply. Sometimes, people don't return items to cabins that are used in other cabins as well but our policy is that we will get what ever you need from the supply area if asked. We provided guests with pans on two separate occasions from the restaurant during this time and we even baked a meal for one of our guests that needed it heated up.

It was not our desire for the power to go out during one of our busiest times of year. We had been fully booked in our cabins for the holidays for several weeks turning people away. When the power goes out which it can do in the mountains due to heavy snow storms, we provide oil lamps for the cabins and what ever we can to make the guest feel comfortable. Most people enjoy the power being out and think of it as romantic and fun. We kept our bar, restaurant, lodge hall and store open and provided fireplace heat, music, drinks and fun. We all worked very hard to try and turn a difficult time into a fun time for all. The heaters work in most of the cabins when the power is out. The temperature during this time hit negative 5, this is the mountains so you must expect some crazy things to happen. I have to say that I was very proud of my staff and myself as we kept positive and did our best to help everyone during a circumstance that was totally out of our control.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Lakeshore Resort is one of our favorite vacation spots, without a doubt! We have been here several times and have loved it more each time. Stunning setting, cabins nestled in the woods, rustic (but comfy, cozy and all the amenities you need in the woods), private, and walking distance from the lake. A great bar (should you want a pint), a yummy restaurant, and a fantastic general store, with everything you'd need. And it is a perfect place for kids. Our nine year old son said this was his favorite place he's ever been!(and we've been to some great places!) The people are welcoming and attentive. It truly is a diamond in the rough....we will come back as often as we can. We also had great luck with the fishing!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mariposa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We went with friends to the sailboat regatta at Huntington Lake--what fun! We all had cabins at this resort, which is right across the street from the Lake. Our cabin was very clean, with plenty of space for all five of us to sleep, and a small bathroom and shower--nothing fancy, but perfectly comfortable. With 3 young children, having a kitchen was definitely a bonus. Fire pits outside and plenty of space for friends to gather at night. I just wish the pits had grills on top for easy BBQing. It can get a little noisy around the fire pits, but it didn't go on long into the night and was nothing outrageous. No complaints. Once everyone settled down, it was great to sleep with the windows open and the smell of trees. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fullerton, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

A friend of mine stays at this place every December since 7 years ago. He suggested me to stay there during our mini vacation right after the Christmas 2009.

The reservation was easy enough to follow the procedure. The description of rooms clearly stated what I'm buying for. I used my credit card to reserve a small one queen bed room without a kitchen.

When we arrived at the site, we were surprised to see the beautiful atmosphere around it. each cabin is separated from others, and had its own parking space. The room was clean and well organized. Hot water was flowing without any problems, and the heater was functioning perfectly. It was very quite at night and early in the morning.

I couldn't find an outside trash bin, so I kept it in our mini van. On our checkout day, I found out that we could leave the trash in front of the General Store stair case. The management was extremely friendly.

I did not have my parking space because it was covered with snow. I think the snow plowing truck didn't remove the snow for some reason because other cabins had their parking space open without snow. So parked my car in front of our cabin (C3). I parked closer to the stair case so that no cars would hit it. That was only my concern during my stay.

I'll go back again when I get another vacation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lakeshore Resort? Share your experiences!