“Rustic Cabin....GREAT for camping!” 3 of 5 stars

Lakeshore Resort
61953 Huntington Lake Road, Lakeshore, Huntington Lake, CA 93634   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeshore
Santa Clarita, California
“Rustic Cabin....GREAT for camping!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Did our annual 4th of July camping trip to Huntington Lake. This year we decided to stay in a cabin due to the snow ...YES snow in JULY! We had a great time and stayed at Lakeshore Resort. It was everything we needed, and saved us a headache of packing tents etc.... The cabins were fully loaded with a kitchen, fridge,shower, bathroom, beds everything you need to make camping COMFORTABLE!!! We'll be back next year, the cabin to stay in is D8 or C1.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This is not a "resort" ha! ha! I do NOT recommend staying here especially during the winter. They are "heated" but good luck with it actually heating the cabin. Also bring your own blankets & pillows because the skimpy ones they provide are not adequate to stay warm. Also bring a generator cause they have many no refund policies including when the power is out, so are you! Be prepared for the worst so you won't be surprised by their unprofessional attitude towards good paying guests. Bring your own cooking items too, I have seen almost all the cabins when a group of friends go up & NONE will ever have the basic cooking items you will need to cook & eat with. I just wish the staff would step it up with some courtesy & at least TRY to make it a pleasant atmosphere. That is always a great way to make up for where it is lacking in so many other places. I know it's 85 years old & don't expect the Hilton but there needs to be some basic upgrades done to improve the place just like any "resort" does to their property. Seems like they've upgrade a whopping 1 cabin in the five years since I started going up there. Get-R-Done apparently isn't in their vocabulary. I do recommend the restaurant - food & service was great! As a small business owner - I really see them missing out on some key factors in the hospitality department.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lakeshoregabster, Owner at Lakeshore Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
In response to this review I must say that we at Lakeshore Resort by no means ever felt we gave the impression of poor customer service or bad hospitality especially during the period when we lost power this last New Years, 2010/2011. We feel our staff acted exemplary and tried to help the customers the best we could. Everyone did their best to maintain a positive attitude and I personally never heard anyone being rude to a guest. All the staff members were in the same predicament as the guests having no power. I personally witnessed very caring employees doing their best to make everyone comfortable. We were shoveling, pulling stuck people out of the snow, thawing out pipes and passing out oil lamps. I personally helped people with extra blankets and lighting and delivered the best service I could have. I will say that my staff cannot read minds and if you need something, you might have to ask for it.

We do provide all the basic cooking and eating supplies for the capacity of the cabin. The cabins are regularly inventoried during cleanings and we do our best to re-supply. Sometimes, people don't return items to cabins that are used in other cabins as well but our policy is that we will get what ever you need from the supply area if asked. We provided guests with pans on two separate occasions from the restaurant during this time and we even baked a meal for one of our guests that needed it heated up.

It was not our desire for the power to go out during one of our busiest times of year. We had been fully booked in our cabins for the holidays for several weeks turning people away. When the power goes out which it can do in the mountains due to heavy snow storms, we provide oil lamps for the cabins and what ever we can to make the guest feel comfortable. Most people enjoy the power being out and think of it as romantic and fun. We kept our bar, restaurant, lodge hall and store open and provided fireplace heat, music, drinks and fun. We all worked very hard to try and turn a difficult time into a fun time for all. The heaters work in most of the cabins when the power is out. The temperature during this time hit negative 5, this is the mountains so you must expect some crazy things to happen. I have to say that I was very proud of my staff and myself as we kept positive and did our best to help everyone during a circumstance that was totally out of our control.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Lakeshore Resort is one of our favorite vacation spots, without a doubt! We have been here several times and have loved it more each time. Stunning setting, cabins nestled in the woods, rustic (but comfy, cozy and all the amenities you need in the woods), private, and walking distance from the lake. A great bar (should you want a pint), a yummy restaurant, and a fantastic general store, with everything you'd need. And it is a perfect place for kids. Our nine year old son said this was his favorite place he's ever been!(and we've been to some great places!) The people are welcoming and attentive. It truly is a diamond in the rough....we will come back as often as we can. We also had great luck with the fishing!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mariposa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We went with friends to the sailboat regatta at Huntington Lake--what fun! We all had cabins at this resort, which is right across the street from the Lake. Our cabin was very clean, with plenty of space for all five of us to sleep, and a small bathroom and shower--nothing fancy, but perfectly comfortable. With 3 young children, having a kitchen was definitely a bonus. Fire pits outside and plenty of space for friends to gather at night. I just wish the pits had grills on top for easy BBQing. It can get a little noisy around the fire pits, but it didn't go on long into the night and was nothing outrageous. No complaints. Once everyone settled down, it was great to sleep with the windows open and the smell of trees. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fullerton, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

A friend of mine stays at this place every December since 7 years ago. He suggested me to stay there during our mini vacation right after the Christmas 2009.

The reservation was easy enough to follow the procedure. The description of rooms clearly stated what I'm buying for. I used my credit card to reserve a small one queen bed room without a kitchen.

When we arrived at the site, we were surprised to see the beautiful atmosphere around it. each cabin is separated from others, and had its own parking space. The room was clean and well organized. Hot water was flowing without any problems, and the heater was functioning perfectly. It was very quite at night and early in the morning.

I couldn't find an outside trash bin, so I kept it in our mini van. On our checkout day, I found out that we could leave the trash in front of the General Store stair case. The management was extremely friendly.

I did not have my parking space because it was covered with snow. I think the snow plowing truck didn't remove the snow for some reason because other cabins had their parking space open without snow. So parked my car in front of our cabin (C3). I parked closer to the stair case so that no cars would hit it. That was only my concern during my stay.

I'll go back again when I get another vacation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Fremont, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,685 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Lakeshore Resort is a wonderful rustic place to stay. It is so close to explore the wonders of the wilderness areas; we drove to Mono Hot Springs seeing many wilderness areas and also parts of the beautiful Sierra Mountains we had never seen before.

If you enjoy nature, there are so many activities to do in the area. The resort has boating facilities. In the summer, one can hike, off road vehicle explore, fish, swim, and other summer activities. In the winter, there is nearby skiing, snow mobile, and snow play.

In terms of "rustic", yes, the cabins were first built about 90 years ago. They were used by locals when the area was being built. The resort keeps them well maintained. We had a wonderful "rustic" one bedroom place. There were plenty of pots and pans, dishes, wine glasses, etc. to enjoy the week-end. We cooked two wonderful breakfasts, one we enjoyed inside at the nice dining room table, and one we enjoyed outside at our large wooden picnic table. We enjoyed watching the birds and squirrels play as we enjoyed our meals. We also enjoyed cooking one dinner there - having caught trout at Huntington Lake. One meal we ate at the wonderful restaurant of the resort. The restaurant is well decorated; has an excellent menu; and some of the best service I've seen in California. Attentive, friendly, and welcoming. We enjoyed a wonderful steak dinner and wine/beer. Afterwards we we went next door to the lively bar area - large screen TVs, full bar menu, and a fun and lively Friday night scene. It was nice. They did mention that in July with the summer vacations and sailboat regalias it is even more fun with the dances on the week-end at the lodge.

In regards to the rooms, the bed was comfortable. The decor was rustic. Remembering that the places were built 90 years ago, the bathrooms are on the small size; but the showers were warm and welcoming. Nice fluffy towels - one can either go "green" - reuse them; or take them to the office and get new clean towels each day. The great thing about the room is that they are cabins. The area outside each cabin is large. As mentioned, we had large picnic table. We had several chairs to sit on outside; we also had a fire ring (although due to time, we did not enjoy this time - but yes, we look forward to it. Others who were at other cabins enjoyed theirs.).

The place has boat rentals; a well stocked camper store, and their employees who we met were all nice and welcoming.

Again, this place is rustic - its not your 5 star luxury condos; its a great place to enjoy the great outdoors and come back to a nice evening. There are no TVs in the room, but you can go to the bar if you do want to watch the TV. We enjoyed our evenings putting together a puzzle, drinking wine, and enjoying the evening. Yes, you do need to wash your dishes - there is not an automatic dishwasher.

We will be back. We got a wonderful sense of this area on our vacation - and there are so many beautiful and wonderful places to enjoy in this area. If you go with the right mood of enjoying the great outdoors, having a place to enjoy both inside and out, and having a wonderful restaurant and bar on site, you will enjoy this lodge. If you go wanting luxury 5 star living with TVS, stereos, CDs, computers...and hate the outdoors, you may read mixed opinions on this place. For indeed, it is a place to savor yesterday; savor the outdoors; and have a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
fresno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I love this resort and the cabins... Unlike several people,.. I knew what to expect and I was in no way disappointed. The cabin was comfortable.. it had all the amenities I needed. I spent most of the time hiking in the area and very little time sitting in the cabin. The price is reasonable and the staff very friendly and accomodating. I have been coming to the Huntington Lake area since I was a child.. it's my favorite place to be.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeshore
Elliott House Bed & Breakfast
WorldMark Bass Lake
WorldMark Bass Lake
#2 of 4 in Bass Lake
4.5 of 5 stars 45 reviews

Been to Lakeshore Resort? Share your experiences!