“The whole truth!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Antlers RV Park and Campground

Antlers RV Park and Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakehead
Antlers RV Park and Campground
You added Antlers RV Park and Campground to your Saves list
20682 Antlers Road, Lakehead, CA   |
Sacramento, California
“The whole truth!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hello all, I had my first experience with Antlers this past weekend. Before leaving I read the reviews and was a bit apprehensive. To be honest this was a nice camp site. The train is loud, but it was not a huge deal. The bathrooms are dated, but the are clean and the staff checks them within reason. Believe me I am no camper,but this place made it more bearable for sure. A true feather in their cap is the staff. Everyone is friendly and extremely helpful. I want to give a special thanks to JIM. He went above and beyond so that my husband could go fishing. All in all for the price, it is a great place to camp for the whole family even the dogs loved it. Thanks Antlers for your hospitality.

Room Tip: We stayed in campsites 52 and 56, huge.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This review is for the marina, and not the RV or campground area.

We rented a Deluxe Patio boat from the fine folks at Antlers for a little family get away. It was great fun. We arrived right at 8, or a little before to get the $$ dealt with and so my husband and bro in law could get the orientation for the boat and we could get on with the fun. The boat was late coming back in the day before so the nice people at Antlers came in extra early to get her cleaned up so we could take her out. We had to wait until about 10am before we could take off so they told us that we could bring it back late due to us getting a late start. Very nice! They also comped us ice as a goodwill gesture. Again, very nice, totally unexpected. Ok, the only down side, and it's supposed to end soon as they are moving to a different location due to the low water in the current location, however, I don't know how soon that will be, so this is just a word of warning. To get to your boat, you drive to a particular location, and walk a few feet and then down a short flight of stairs, and then another longer, steeper and without hand rails mind you set of stairs. Fortunately, we had a group of big strong men with us to take down the coolers, etc. The climb back up this Matterhorn was a killer at the end of a long, fun, tiring day. I understand that normally the water levels aren't as low at Shasta as they are right now, so you wouldn't have as many stairs to go down as you do now, however, that is a HUGE liability. I cringe to think what could happen if someone fell on those stairs. If you are planning on using one of their houseboats or anything that requires you to go to the marina, please call and ask them if they have moved to a better location...seriously.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We just got back from our first trip to Antlers this year. We usually come at least 2 times. And like every time we have stayed at Antlers in the last 14 years for me, 35+ years for my husbands family, it was perfect! You get to your reserved site and it is clean, and combed, the ping pong tables and the big picnic table looks like they were redone this year. One night we got in from the lake late and the store was already closed, but the guy on the golf cart came through and saw that my 6 year old was bummed that we were to late to get paddles to play ping pong (they let you borrow them from the store.) He said "No Problem!" and went inside to get us some paddles and let us keep them overnight with our word that we would bring them back in the morning, which we did! This is a full service campground, pool, playground, activities in the summer months. It does get really loud and busy mid summer. We have been there during 4th of July and it is really crowded, however, you are camping at the lake, why are you in the campground during the day anyway and not ON THE LAKE? Just sayin'. They will tell you to be quiet if you are too loud, but only when your neighbors are complaining! We have had trips that we were ROWDY, and never had an issue, mostly because we invite the neighbors! There is some train noise, but it adds to the experience. As far as the long winded rant about the bathrooms being closed, all of the bathrooms in the off season are locked except the bigger one by the store. It has always been that way and the majority of all campgrounds are that way. The staff is extremely limited in the off season because there aren't many people camping in the off season. Maybe an update to the website is warranted however a regular camper anywhere would know that. And to the bad review from someone who didn't stay there? What a joke! We love Antlers! We have never had a bad experience, and naysayers are usually people who couldn't be pleased no matter what they did! Give Antlers a shot! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillsboro, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Let me start by saying we have been campers for over 20 years and this spot was supposed to be our luxurious spot right by Lake Shasta- a dream destination for us. If you check my other reviews- all 75+ I am pretty easy to please. The campground itself is nice and in a good location. I made a reservation 7 days prior to arrival. We usually don't reserve because we stay in campground you can't- first come, first serve. I made this reservation because my husband always wanted to stay on Shasta and we would have a hookup for our tiny pop-up- a luxury for us.
When I called no one answered and I left a message. It took more than 3 days to talk to anyone. They do say they have unpredictable hours off season as far as the office goes, however this should have raised my suspicions. If you look at the website they say they are open all year- for tenters and rv's alike. We talked about which site because we wanted peace as well as to be pretty close to a bathroom. We actually talked about this a bit because she offered me a site with a new concrete pad which I turned down because it was farther than the bathroom.We got there, set up camp, unfolded the trailer, etc. Went to use the bathrooms- they were locked. Padlocked. Back to making the reservation- the lady also told me, no one would probably be there when we checked in BUT there would be a phone number posted that we could call to immediately address any concern or question. While I had no anticipated ever calling this was a concern! We walked back up to get the number. I called, no answer and a regular message like it is a personal phone for "Nicki" (sorry I missed your call, I'll get back to you as soon as possible). I left a message, at this point not all that concerned, just asking for a call back or a stop from maintenance to get a key or open the bathrooms. An hour later I thought- maybe I wrote down the wrong number. Back to check. Yup, right number, Called back, and texted that if this was not the proper number please let me know. To shorten things up, no one called back for hours and hours- about 4. When I was called back it was while I was placing about our 4th call, they decided to call me because clearly I was going to keep calling, this is where it got more disturbing. It was a man who informed me in the fakest nice voice that he had driven all the way from Redding to open the bathrooms for us. That he and his wife (Nicki?) run the place themselves and she is a volunteer fire fighter and had had three calls that day. He then informed me that I was well aware that the bathrooms had been open for hours- HOW- well apparently "his man Virgil on the golf cart" came and told us. I assure you- THIS NEVER HAPPENED- actually we were sitting in our camp when this man apparently stopped in his pick up to talk to said golf cart man. Then they both drove off- we had no idea who either of them were , though it begs the question- why wouldn't an owner stop personally to apologize and clear things up. Anyhow he said that the bathrooms were closed because the propane company never came to deliver so there was no hot water. Why did they not call me and inform me??? I told him after hearing his irritation we would be leaving in the morning and not to charge my card. He seemed surprised we would be leaving. He had Virgil bring over my slip as proof they would not be charging- they have not. When he came Virgil told us that the bathrooms were never opened before May 1st.....very interesting. I want to stress that the website says they are open all year- it does mention the pool, snack bar etc are closed off season, nothing about bathroom facilities. We actually have a solar shower and if we had been told we could use the bathroom but no shower- we would have come, prepared. This was just Bizarre. Probably a fine choice of you are self contained so long as you don't have any issues that need prompt attention.

Room Tip: There is a lot of train noise- though apparently common in this area, also mosquitoes which is good...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

You guys, if you're looking for a nice relaxing area, with beautiful scenery and lots of activities, this is the place. Myself and four gal pals of mine have made this place our "Girlfriend Getaway" spot for 3 years straight, and when I was in high school, my four guy friends and I used to wakeboard day in and day out with Antlers RV Park and Campground as our nighttime accommodations. I have stayed here nearly a dozen times, and each one is unique and special. I came once with my Dad and 5 friends as a graduation gift, and even my dad loved every minute of it (Did I mention he is a Doctor with debilitating O.C.D.?).

I have seen some people saying, "If you want a party, stay here." That is incorrect. The folk who stay at Antlers know how to have a good time, but not at the expense of others. And if you're a rowdy one, like reviewer Mama6183 is, the staff is courteous enough to speak on behalf of the many who desire to get sleep. Myself and my four friends have never had a problem with noise or inconsideration, and I don't exactly whisper very well.

The campsites are very spacious, enough room for the staples like fire pit, bear box and picnic table, as well as our 8-10 person tent, a Honda CRV, two air mattresses blown up, and all of our other gear needed for 3-4 days of relaxation, and we remain very comfortable.

The showers and the bathrooms are meh. But hey, this is camping, right? You can't be Malibu Barbie and go camping. And if you try, well, that's just laughable. And you deserve to be punished for having such lofty goals.

Lastly, the thing you need to know about Lake Shasta in general is that it is a reservoir. The water levels drop rapidly once the warmer months hit, and that is just the reality of the situation. If you're looking for a lake that's water is colder, but more reliable, you have 1000's to choose from. If you're looking for beautiful red banks, amazing scenery, laughs, friendship, happiness, rainbows, butterflies, and blackberries, with warm waters Antlers is your place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful RV Campgroung! Any size of trailer or camper or rig will fit! The sites are very large--some are long and others are wide! You are away from your neighbor and really feel that you have your own space! It is nestled in amongst the trees! Just wonderful!
The gal at the front desk was so nice and helpful! She let us go out and decide which spot we wanted!
There is 24 hour security too!
Truly a great spot!

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised of grounds, service and location.

Security delivers burning wood straight to campsite. Positive atmosphere. Family environment. Located right next to the boat ramp and boat mooring!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Antlers RV Park and Campground? Share your experiences!