“Crazy Hot in June!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hungry Gulch Campground

Hungry Gulch Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Isabella
Hungry Gulch Campground
You added Hungry Gulch Campground to your Saves list
Sequoia National Forest, Lake Isabella, CA   |
Fort Worth
“Crazy Hot in June!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We made an online reservation for this campground based on the reviews. Unfortunately, when we arrived (mid-June at about 4:00 p.m.) it was 101 degrees. Ours was the only vehicle in the campground, although there were a lot of people at the lake (Isabella.) The dumpster near our campsite smelled pretty awful. We found a little patch of shade and had a cold drink, but eventually gave up and headed farther into the mountains to get some relief from the heat. We ended up at Redwood Meadow Campground in the Sequoia National Forest. It was about 20 degrees cooler and directly across the road from the Trail of 100 Giants, which was amazing.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I went up there for a couple days. It was a nice drive out there. Tons of open spots, so no reservation was needed (although the ranger said deeper in summer you probably need one). The campsites were clean and kind of close, but still had privacy. It was about a 10 minute walk to the lake, a nice walk. Bathrooms were stocked with TP but I would plan on just waiting to shower until you get back home. It's hot hot hot out there so def bring an umbrella. No shade at the lake. Overall, it was a nice camping experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We went to Lake Isabella & Kern River over Labor Day weekend. I made reservations for Hungry Gulch Campground, and loved it there. I emailed two other trip advisors based on their helpful reviews to ask what campsite they loved so much.... both wrote back saying Site #30. I agreed, it was the most private! Though, we ended up choosing Site #72 because it had more shade, and huge boulders for our kids to play on. Our fire pit was surrounded by these boulders so it felt very private, too. There was a water spout in our site and the bathroom with shower was very close to Site #72. I never had to wait for a shower, no lines, the camp hosts explained that being in the back it doesn't get as busy as the shower in the front.....and this was a holiday weekend. Showers were $1.25 for 10 minutes or $.50 for just 4 minutes. One surprise was that there was no bear lockers. They don't have a bear problem I understood, but I was expecting to have one to store my food....the squirrel got my hot dog buns within 5 minutes of arriving - haha. Huge compliment to the camp hosts, they were very friendly and helpful with tips or suggestions. Julia and Bob helped to make our trip that much better. FYI: Both French Gulch Marina and North Fork Marina were very close driving distance if you wanted to rent a boat/jet skis. We did - it was so much fun! Great 5 days spent there. Will definitely go back there again!

Room Tip: Site #30 or Site #72!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

OK OK - so honestly have to admit that having done many years of traveling I have actually never camped...you know outside, in a tent, on the ground, only a sleeping bag and the supplies you remembered to pack...so when my boyfriend pressured me into going camping with him (basically a "test"), I agreed with a few requirements. The most important being it had to have a "working" bathroom and shower in a pleasant livable environment.
After many hours searching around California state parks sites, he found this location "Hungry Gulch" and since it was free during our weekend in July, he booked it. So glad he did. Right off the bat, we met the great Camp Hosts (I have their names written down somewhere :() who told us to go scope out the sites and pick one, so we did, and they were just a great pleasant laid back couple. We did a little searching and found the perfect spot - up on the hill - almost the farthest back in the camp you can go and secluded from most of the other sites - it had a great working pit, picnic table, nice clear spot with two trees that help create a great little camp site for myself and my BF. Our camp host informed us later that afternoon that we had chosen the site they had termed "honeymooners" which sounded perfect to me as we just wanted a nice quiet weekend.
Few Bad things to note - farther from most bathrooms then most sites but not a big deal - there was a large family there that weekend who stayed up to 2am making noise (I slept thru it but my BF had a hard time) - not alot of trees for shade so this site got a little hot in the mid-day.
Great Things to Note - HOT showers that felt great, clean bathrooms, newly painted bathrooms, great camp hosts (as I said already), quiet private location that was separated from most other sites.
My boyfriend and I drove around the entire lake and looked at most of the other camping sites in Lake Isabella, we both agreed Hungry Gulch was the best campground with the best facilities - I would definitely go camping again if I got lucky with another one like this.

Room Tip: The earlier you get there the better chance to pick a good spot.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The campground was spacious, enough space between each site. Some shade during the day, beautifully nestled among the mountains. Nice hike starting at the campsite. We had one night with noisy neighbors but the rest of the time was quiet where we were. Big families with music but never after hours. The bathrooms/showers left a lot to be desired, though, with cobwebs and critters, toilet paper on the floor and a very old and decrepit shower that could not be turned off when there was still money left in the machine. Trashcan that attracts rodents as door opener! The easy access to the lake through Boulder gulch was a definite plus though. Nothing for sale on campsite, the nearest store is about 1 mile down the road. All in all it was a great trip, everyone had a great time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was our first camping trip of the year so we were really looking forward to it. The campground was packed, there was no privacy at all and people next to us had a generator going the entire day and night. They had an inflatable bouncy castle, an inflatable huge projector screen where they played movies the entire night and rock concert speakers so the entire campground had to listen to their music. Their dog was barking the entire night and when we asked the camp hosts to do something about it they did absolutely NOTHING. Despite all of this, we had a nice time at the lake Isabella. However, we would never go back to this campground.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We definitely lucked out when we decided to camp here for memorial day weekend. Hungry Gulch turned out to be one of the best camp sites that we have ever been too. It smelled amazing and it was clean. We got the most incredible site, secluded from all other campers. It was higher then the other sites, which gave us breath taking views and our site seemed larger than most of other sites. If you walk closer towards the entrace of the park, you can find a fantastic view of Lake Isabella.

I posted 7 Pictures of hungry gulch, including our site, views from our site, views of lake isabella, and the kern river

The bathrooms were decent, but there always seemed to be crowds of girls waiting in line to take showers; at least 9 girls standing there every single time I went to the bathroom, which was annoying. There were HUGE spiders in the corners of the stalls, but the rangers came by and killed them each day, which was good.

The sites themselves were great. There were scattered pine trees all over, flat surfaces, with great views of the mountains, and a ton of blue jays.

Overall our experience was excellent. We will be coming back for sure.

Best of all the Kern river was close by, and we were able to hike to some amazing spots and cool off in the water.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hungry Gulch Campground? Share your experiences!