“Good Peruvian food!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 174 Restaurants in Lake Forest
“Good Peruvian food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Good food, very slow service, delicious papa a la huancaina y aji de gallina, the restroom was messy and smelly, the place is not very clean. the drinks very cool and the price acceptable.

Visited July 2013

Western Hemisphere
“Ceviche Territory!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

To the Caesar what belongs to the Caesar? I recently visited Nory's restaurant and was very satisfied with what we ordered. Perhaps not a 5 Stars (and after all, very few deserve a 5 Star rating which is another word for culinary perfection) but certainly a 4 above average. Nory's does not pretend to be what it is not, but their ceviche (a plate we crave and can not, will not live without) is pretty tasty and as opposed to the ever growing competition they do not give you a little mound, like if seafood is the most expensive commodity in souther california (that as we all know it is not so), but instead they present what I call a fair portion of this dish.
I have heard from others that Nory's has been hanging on for years, while others of the same cuisine do not seem to catch a break.
Peruvian food is overpriced, and that would almost be all right if what they serve you is truly spectacular, but I regret to inform the nice people that reads this, that is not the case. I have been to all that is available (just about) in southern california in peruvian cuisine. Some of the places should not even be in business, and very few earn that higher level where taste and value are concerned.
Nory's dis not disappoint, but I must admit here and now, that what we ate was plenty of ceviche and chorus (mussels with onion salsa in the half shell). These choros are very common in the coast of Peru and they are always enjoyed with a very cold beer. They are ordered by the dozens and as simple as it may sound, when done properly are delicious!
Orlando, the owner, is always on the move and the warm bread and the two sauces they present you upon arrival are very tasty. Ask for their rococo salsa if you feel feisty and do not shy away from hot peppers from Peru.
4 Stars for a job well done and at the top of the list where Ceviche is concerned, quality and value, clearly ahead of the stingy competition.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson AZ
“Authentic peruvian with a unique twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I'm surprised the reviews are not better for this place. I've eaten here 5 or 6 times and have never been disappointed. I recently went to Peru, went back to Nory's and am now writing this review.

You must try the paella. The first time, it blew my mind. One of the unique touches you will find in many dishes is crunchy salted and toasted corn kernals. I have not seen this at another peruvian resteraunt, but I like it. You will also want to try the fried yucca with red onion salsa. For some reason they didn't have the salsa on the menu or bring it with the yucca this last time (I had to beg for it - what's up with that Nory?). If you can handle the heat, ask for some rocotto chili to dip your yucca in (extreamely good but they hide it in the back - again, what's up with that Nory? Give us the good stuff).

This place is really laid back. I rarely see a large crowd there. There's usually a soccer game on the TV. When I walked in this last time the guy working there was playing keyboard when I walked in. After hours they push the tables back and have music and dancing.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huntington Beach, California
“Basically good, nothing outstanding though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Have eaten here before (last year) , was okay - and same this time, but I think I'd rather spend the same money at the Hat (on Rockfield Blvd just past the Lake Forest Ave intersection) and get more for it.

Visited December 2011
Western Hemisphere
“Nory's really sad!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Or was it bad? Don't matter! This is the reason why I seem so unkind. One person taking care of the whole room and for some reason I think that person also does the cooking! Every time he was attending the busy front (about 16 tables in total?) I did no hear a thing from the kitchen which was really close to our table. Food for 3 cost almost $80 and I did not leave a tip for we truly felt that since we arrived at 7PM on a Sunday and they close at 8PM (I did not know this) that we got a lot of crappy, second par food. Let's go in order:
Choros (mussels on their half shell with a tasty onion salsa) were big size and the salsa was tasty, added some lemon and it reminds one of all things seafood. Peruvians know how to use the most insignificant form of seafood and make something tasty out of it. 4 Big Stars. Second plate: Yuca (the peruvian potato that has some similarities with our known potatos but not quite, certainly an acquired tast) came with almost no sauce (remember the last of the bunch?) and was a major disappointment. 1 Star. Hot Bread that because of the hunger factor came in very handy. Just use their delicious green and reddish sauces that come with the table. 3.5 Stars. Ceviche Mixto (fresh fish-supposedly-mixed with other seafood-mostly calamari, hard as a pliable rock-and marinated in citrus juice), an artful and exquisite dish in Peru, this one a disaster. 2 Stars. Next plate: Aji de Gallina (shredded chicken in a yellow sauce combining white bread soaked in evaporated milk plus other delicious herbs and spices, but not this one. This sauce according to our lovely girl was the same sauce they used in the Yuca a la Huancaina (I wouldn't doubt, that's how scandalous this place turned out to be) 1 Star since most of it was not eaten. Next dish: Parihuela (peruvian bouillabaisse, If I may, and this dish was finished to its completion and given thumbs up by our sophisticated male companion. 4 Stars? Next: Saltado de Mariscos (seafood cooked at high fire with sliced red onions and sliced fresh tomatos, cilantro, chilies and wthite rice, topped with french fries (these fries so soggy I kept wondering if they had been resting in some kind of liquid for more than an hour! Plenty of calamari rings (they buy by the huge bags, hard and chewy, cheap cheap said the birdie that knew! 1 Star. This $80. Highway Robbery. Nory's had their chance and the verdict is in: Found Wanting! Peruvian food is such an exquisite culinary tour de force that when a place like Nory's claims to be the same kind whomever eats it imagines peruvian food is like that. Far from the truth. One man show presenting an overwhelming expensive dishes that are simply not worth it. Nory's really a place you may want to stay away from. In comparison Mama Inka's, which I also complained a little about, is ten times better in service, quality and price. I am talking about the one in Calle Hermosa out of the 5 freeway in San Clemente. I would rather advice someone to go there than to steer them in the direction of Nory's. To that one I wouldn't send not even an annoying friend. 2 Stars at the very most1 You been warned!

• Visited August 2011