“Excellent authentic restaurant for Afghan/Middle Eastern food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 171 restaurants in Lake Forest
Rehovot, HaMerkaz, Israel
“Excellent authentic restaurant for Afghan/Middle Eastern food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Authentic and and friendly place to enjoy Afghan food in Orange County. The best dish I had was the lamb kebabs, absolutely delicious!! Worth a try if you enjoy this style of cuisine!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Irvine, CA
“Excellent in all respects.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Located in a strip mall with ample and easy free parking, Chili Chutney gave our party of three couples excellent food, very solicitous but not overbearing service, and very fair pricing. The appetizers and main courses are interesting and excellent, and everyone from the owner to the wait staff was eager (and successful) to make our evening thoroughly enjoyable. The restaurant offers both a regular menu and an all-you-can-eat buffet. The latter, which all the men chose, has many of the selections from the menu, and the food is replenished often so that it is appetizing.

The total bill for six of us, all of whom ate well, was just over $100 including tax. There is no alcohol. Most of the table had soft drinks or water, but I tried "dough" which is a drink composed of yogurt, cucumbers, mint, and I believe another spice. I like it - others didn't.

The restaurant can get a bit loud but certainly not boistrous, and is suitable for couples, family, and friends. As this was a Saturday night it might be a little louder than usual, so I don't know if it would be suitable for business on a weekday night.

All in all it is a delightful place with good food and service, and well worth trying. I plan to return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Forest, California
“Chili Chutney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This little treasure inconspicuously located between a nail salon and a former tax preparer's office in Lake Forest Village, serves up the most delicious Afghan delights anywhere. The dishes at Chili Chutney are so flavorful and delicious. The menu includes the usual mid-eastern fare, but it also has dishes suited to more exotic tastes. Everything is wonderful.

The decor is not fancy, but CC offers 2 dining rooms---one for parties & events and the regular dining room that features table seating or traditional 'nook' seating (low table with cushioned bench seating).

The service is warm & friendly and prices are right on! The lunch buffet is a must.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cairo, Egypt
“Want to try new type of food , a different enviroment?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A friend recommended this place for me.It was great.The environment is different than any restaurant I visited.You will like it is a five star restaurant.Different seating types , ordinary tables,couches or Afghan traditional seating.
The food was great and the menu has different types of food than the ones you are used to.
You will enjoy this place.
Its price range is good , not too high not too low.

Try the Qabili Palau and their youghrt drink (House Dough)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson AZ
“Excellent food for vegitarians and meat-lovers alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

When I reviewed this establishment, it had only two Tripadvisor reviews, and held only 3 stars out of 5. Chili Chutney deserves a much higher rating. The setting is a moderate sized resteraunt in a strip mall in Lake Forest. You can sit at a normal table, but we sat in a very comfortable couch near a low table. The menu is fairly small and I prefer it that way so it doesn't take me long to make a decision. The value criteria has been met: for a mere $20 total, my wife and I both had our fill and took a box home for later. Before the meal you will be served pitas with red and green chutney. My wife enjoyed both. I found the red to be much more to my personal taste. My wife ordered a dish with saffron rice and spinach which was excellent. I ordered a combination of chicken and beef kabobs. The beef was descent, but the chicken was incredible. It was a little strange when we asked what was in the spinach dish because the waitress said the chef would not share that information with the staff. If you are looking for alcohol, this is not the place for you, as they did not sell it. This is my first Afgan resteraunt and I highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2013