“The Best in its Class!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lake Forest
Los Angeles, California
“The Best in its Class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our stay at this Holiday Inn was very pleasant. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and very helpful especially Kelli H. and Andrew (I hope I got the name right) who was the one who helped us when we checked in. Very reasonable room rates with free breakfast, free WiFi and free plentiful parking. Our room was at the I-5 Freeway side but you couldn't hear the noise from outside.There is a bit of sound and vibration from the HVAC unit installed on the wall but its the kind of noise that is understandable. Room was very clean and comfy with refrigerator and microwave which came in handy to reheat food. Location is very ideal for shopping and plenty of restaurants less than 5 minutes away. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had a great stay here after I left another property I had originally booked to save a little money. The little extra pocket change was definitely worth it as the room cleanliness was night and day compared to its nearby competitor.

Front desk was very helpful upon check in and room amenities are just what you would expect with a Holiday Inn. Clean and comfortable at a good price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I arrived on a Thursday evening slightly before 7PM, and spent two nights at this property. Check-in was prompt. There was a complimentary evening reception the first night and I was given a nice full glass of wine. Check-in staff was friendly and accommodating. Upon arrival to my room, I was satisfied. The room was spotless as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The room did seem to have a shortage of electrical plugs to charge all the devices we carry around these days.

As an earlier reviewer posted, there seemed to be very little Platinum recognition. I asked about breakfast and an upgrade. I realize that Holiday Inn is not REQUIRED to provide this but many properties will hold this out as a "thank you" to frequent guests. The staff in the evening said that likely the morning staff could offer me something even if not complimentary. When I asked in the morning, the man at the front desk acted like I was crazy and just pointed to a sign on the front desk counter saying it wasn't offered. I guess it was rude of me to interrupt his personal txt'ing when he was on duty at the front desk... The 2nd evening I went to the bar. The happy hour items were reasonably priced and the food was good.

One big complaint is that the bartender only had 1 beer on tap... all the rest were out. Of course I could buy the bottled beer from the bar for 2 or 3 times the price but that was just silly.
I believe management didn't order replacement product for some reason.
So if you want multiple beer choices on tap, don't count on it consistently at this property.
One other item of note at the bar, be careful of what well drinks you order. I thought I was ordering well drinks but they ended up being $9 each instead of the discounted happy hour prices, so after nearly an $80 dinner by myself I headed back to my room.

This property was totally clean and acceptable but nothing really jumped out at me as being great. They have signs all over the place saying if you can't give it five stars to let someone know, but the person at the front when I checked out also seemed disinterested.

I wouldn't mind coming back here again next time I'm in the area but would likely look for other options too.

Room Tip: Top floor away from the freeway
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear travelinpdx,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are delighted you liked your room accommodation. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you received service which was less than satisfactory from our front desk staff. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

As an IHG Rewards Club Elite member, we appreciate your honest feedback and hope that you'll give us a chance to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

What's really amazing about this place is that while they're literally perched over the I-5 Freeway, once of the busiest and biggest regional arteries in the country, the room was astoundingly quiet. If you shut your windows, it was as if you were watching a film of the traffic going by. Never saw that level of commitment to making sure outside noise didn't ruin one's relaxation. The service was okay, not inspiring; but Lake Forest is a real upscale landscape, and so they need to be a bit formal to fit in there. Although I like upscale hotels, I prefer casual, joking banter — and that would not be the sort of vibe one gets here. They did recognize my Priority Club status and offered points or gifts, and they also let me check out late. (Free points and getting to sleep in and check out late — those are my two favorite things.) Oh, just a nice, little touch: Upon entering, one got really excellent chocolate chip cookies, not some junky kind from a cheap place, but real French-bakery-style fresh and rich, (not that they'll always be offering that, but it showed they do have a sense of some detail). It's a horrible location for anyone depending on mass transit: But, I need to clarify: For some reason it was not clear to me that they offered free shuttle service to and from the Irvine Spectrum. This may have been an oversight on my part. So I tried to take OCTA buses there. That was painful. In any case, now that I know, I might stay there again, because the Spectrum is not so hard to get to by mass transit, and if they can take me from there, then it's all good. Oh yes, and the neighborhood is has lots of dining choices, so if you're on foot, you won't be doing without.

Room Tip: There is a bit of sound and vibration from the HVAC units on the roof. But that kind of noise is usu...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!
Please do not stay here, the night manager who doesn't wear a name tag, stands at the front, and cusses at guests, who also tries to hit on my girlfriend and make a scene, disgusting customer service, took a picture of the man who was working during the night there at the front desk due to the fact that he Refused to give me his name when I asked him for it so I may report him. Will post pics here so that you know to stay away from this man!

• Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Patrick B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review of our property. It is regretful that this stay was a disappointment. We have sent you a private message to discuss further.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'm a Platinum Member with IHG, so I'm in Holiday Inns or an Intercontinental almost every month. Most Holiday Inns provide Priority Club members an upgraded room, or free breakfast, or something. But the Assistant Manager said that now Holiday Inn prohibits them from giving any free breakfast perks. (Not true...I'm staying now in another Holiday Inn in Orange County where I was upgraded to a suite, given free breakfast coupons for me and my wife and given free drink coupons for the bar and unlimited free bottled water.)

Whereas the Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum only gave one drink coupon per night, even though my wife was with me...and gave us nothing more. Even a tea bag wasn't complimentary. And it costs more for a smaller room than other Holiday Inns in Orange County.

Having said all that, this Holiday Inn clean and comfortable, but I will not stay here again for ALL other Holiday Inns appear to more for Priority Club members.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kelli H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear psmccready,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We value and appreciate all of our Platinum IHG Reward members and all feedback they provide.
IHG has recently changed their benefits as a company to make it more consistent, so it is disappointing to hear that other Holiday Inn's in the area are not following the same guide lines that are put forth by IHG, I’m sure they will be contacting them in the near future.
We are glad that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and that you were comfortable during your stay. Even though you feel you would not like to join us on your next trip to Irvine, we strongly urge you to give us another shot…
On behalf of our entire staff please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations you as a Platinum Elite member during your stay with us.

Sincerly ,

Hotel Mnangement
ojai,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Irvine/Lake Forest. The entire staff is amazingly welcoming, friendly, cheerful, but most of all, super super attentive! Daily happy hour from 5pm-7pm was a great, and their wine and cheese reception a really nice plus. Pool and jacuzzi nice and clean, Aqua Restaurant and Lounge is awesome. (Shout out to Donna, Tamara and Diana!) Room was very clean and comfy with refrigerator and microwave which came in handy to reheat prior nights dinner leftovers. Location is very ideal for shopping, and plenty of restaurants less than 5 minutes away on El Toro Rd. Irvine Spectrum Center very close drive as well. All in all I have to rate this Holiday Inn as outstanding!

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!