“Unusual but fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chillingham Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillingham
Chillingham Castle
You added Chillingham Castle to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Castle   |   Chillingham NE66 5NJ, England   |
Marlow
“Unusual but fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We spent 2 nights, with our teenage grandchildren, in the Grey apartment. Very atmospheric and we all enjoyed our stay, even though younger one ended up in our bed! We found the staff very helpful and our ghost tour guide Andy was excellent. Very worth a stay if you want something different!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Thank you Chillingham Castle for making my 30th Birthday so brilliant. I've stayed in the castle many times and could not wait to show all my friends why it is so special to me so I dragged them all along to celebrate me getting old. This time we booked the Look Out and The Coaching Rooms. The Coaching Rooms are separate from the main castle, about a five minute walk, which was perfect for us as it meant we could have our celebration, guitar playing and all, without disturbing anyone. Only thing is we stupidly forgot to bring a torch so walking back to our room in The Lookout apartment was tough (our own fault though!). Only negative thing I would say this time is watch out for the little single room in The Lookout: my friend did not get a wink of sleep as there was a trap door in the ceiling above her bed and all through the night some kind of animal was up there tearing up paper non stop!

Room Tip: If you are having a large gathering for a birthday or something the coaching rooms are perfect as no...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here in a group of 30 girls for a murder-mystery night planned for a hen party.
If you are expecting a traditional castle done up with modern comforts, this is not the place for you. Think hostel, but in a castle! Which was what we wanted! It was full of all original knick-knacks and charming quaint furniture. The place was fantastically atmospheric, you really are left to your own devices and it's in the middle of nowhere.

There is no phone signal or wifi if you want modern conveniences (we didn't).
The murder mystery included a meal which was really great quality and brilliant craic.
The room was very comfortable, although the bed looked like a dorm bed it was surprisingly comfy.

We didn't see any ghosts either :)

Alnwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Very eccentric place, madly cluttered with all sorts of strange things. The written information provided was not always helpful. Most of the exhibits seemed to have no connection to the castle. Maybe more representative of the workings of the English upper class mind? On a positive note, the tea room is superb, food home made, delicious, good sized portions. Tearoom staff friendly and helpful. Gardens not huge but very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

While I admire Sir Humphrey's restoration project and valued vision, I do not expect in having to pay through the nose to contribute for the privilege of staying there. Now, I know it is a castle/country house haemorrhaging money to keep it standing and I honestly did not mind paying a little bit extra in thinking my monies would help, although it certainly was evident that my money was not going on the accommodation. I stayed in the Guard Room, a private apartment with it's own parking space.
One would like to think, or even hope, that the decor, fixtures & fittings would try to emulate a "country house or baronial castle", sadly to say Barnardo's has better second-hand furniture! Has Sir H. and his good lady purloined the antiques for their own private apartments? Come on, one can find a good antique bed for peanuts, a good old overstuffed couch would be welcome, and please, an occasional table to put my drink/nibbles on. Unless you cook solely with a microwave, forget any fancy dinners to prepare and enjoy in order pass a pleasant evening away. Thank goodness for: 1. A log-fire stove. I think I used my tariff in logs! 2. A television, an early night was not an opinion at this price. Even the dubious complimentary toiletries (sachets) would not be going on my skin, and my bet noir, uht milk and instant coffee. The carpet, well, it has seen yesteryear better days, and yes, I could go on...
Now, I believe upon reading some literature that Sir H. has been approved to have eight of these self-catered apartments. Perhaps if the management took its time in furnishing these apartments ONE at a time to a standard that befits the tariff, then perhaps Chillingham could afford a new roof/floor/wall etc. Which brings me to a puzzling dilemma. The house is open from 12 - 5, astonishingly guests are required to check-out at 10.00!! What, like me, does one do for two hours in order to visit the house, prey tell? Guests check-in from 3.00p.m. - 5 hours to turn around a small apartment?? Luckily it was not raining and I went to see the cattle and a stroll around the estate.
The house is worth a visit and the gardens are it's jewel in the crown. The whole enterprise needs serious re-thinking (amusing at the time as I was watching the hotel inspector and knew exactly what Ruth would have recommended). They should visit their competitors in the area and take note. Until the apartments are up to the tariff standard, I recommend an afternoon visit ONLY, and brides to be for your wedding, well you have been warned...

Room Tip: A four-poster bedroom WITH dinner can be found in the area an hour away for LESS than here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Northumberland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The castle is distinctly shabby; the collections don't make any sense; the staff are dour; everything seems dirty; so why did I enjoy the visit so much? Probably because it was so eccentric and I guess this is how places were before they got visitor centres, orientation boards, and had all of their individuality cleaned away. The grounds are beautiful with their Autumn colours; the Italianate garden was past its best but still beautiful with the ovewhelming aroma of box; the salmon bagel and pot of tea were not cheap but came with cole slaw, salad and crisps - well presented and very tasty; the architecture is such a mixture of styles, that you could stand for ages looking at the castle trying to work out which part came when. National Trust it is not, but we really enjoyed our first visit here. Perhaps the staff could just be a bit more friendly and talkative.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
hastings
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I am not a believer in ghosts so I didn't expect to see or hear anything. After staying in the Coaching House for 3 nights, I am still a non believer.

The accommodation could be described as basic, worn out and frankly, terrible!

So why have I rated the property as excellent?

I had been forewarned that it is not the Ritz so you need to immerse yourself in the cranky accommodation, enjoy the peacefulness and the beauty of the surrounding countryside and you should have a good time. The place is meant to be a bit spooky so if the accommodation was completely renovated so the windows didn't flap in the wind, the plumbing worked without noises, frogs couldn't come in under the front door, brand new furniture, and so on, then it would not have the atmosphere that can drag you kicking and screaming into the creepiness of the castle and grounds.

At night it is totally dark, eyes open or eyes shut, you can't tell the difference. The place is deadly quiet on a windless night, the place sets the scene for a scary time if you are that way inclined.

But if you weren't expecting the state of the place, with holes in the windows and thread bare carpets, weird ghostly pictures and an eclectic collection of old an worn ornaments, fixtures and fittings, then you in for a real horror story.

My wife and our friends had a great, relaxing time, although, sadly a ghost didn't bless us with their presence.

If you run a business or simply hate to be without facebook/emails etc, then beware, there was no signal on any of our phones and no wifi. You needed to travel several miles to get a signal.

Room Tip: A tip for a good room, there isn't a good room. The rooms in the castle are probably a bit more...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chillingham Castle? Share your experiences!