“Ghost tour'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chillingham Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillingham
Chillingham Castle
2.0 of 5 Castle   |   Chillingham NE66 5NJ, England   |
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Ghost tour'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a ghost tour which although it was £20, we decided to try it. although it wasn't quite dark when we started by the time we got to the house part it was pitch black, making navigating about a challenge! The tour was good, although we didn't see anything, The chapel part left me terrified with a sense of unease like I've never felt before! Well worth the money our only complaint was they said no alcohol on the tour and there were a group of girls staying on a hen party, very drunk, screaming like kids and acting the fool, it was quite obvious and we felt they should have maybe been told this was not acceptable as it spoiled it for everyone else. Apart from this the ghost tour was well worth it, having been in the day first this helped as you cant see any of the castle in the dark!

• Stayed September 2012

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arrived mid afternoon at castle, glorious day, went for walk around the gardens, grounds, fantastic views really good. We stayed in the Guards Room, lovely room just cold but this is expected as it is an old time castle not a 5 star hotel! Lovely log burner in sitting room!
Had ghost tour booked for 8pm, arrived at courtyard at 19:50 along with other 20 people on the tour this evening, to sadly be told the guide hadn't turned up, but if we waited till 10pm another guide could do the tour! A bit annoying but things happen!
Come 10:15 our new guide Graham turns up, after a long drive. All I can say is well worth the money, experience this for yourself, very scary although we didn't see any paranormal activity. Will be returning again.
Take plenty of warm clothes due to nature of ghost tour and lack of heating in rooms.
Go on be brave and experience the hanging tree and torture chambers ....... Plus much more

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at Chiillingham Castle 23 times I think now, I feel I have to comment. It's not your typical national trust or worse english heritage designer period piece, it's an authentic english castle. Wasn't designed for comfort or luxury hence it can be a bit cold in some apartments unless you can get an open fire going, although contradicting meself, i actually think the perhaps ancient furniture, beds/settees are actually super comfortable, much softer than now. Super authentic experence and totally reccomended, and yes it is genuinely haunted, very much so in our experience.

• Stayed October 2012
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We've now stayed at Chillingham Castle four times and can't get enough. You won't find a more atmospheric, unique and truly wonderful place to stay. Previously we have sampled The Landseer, The Grey and The Courtyard. This time we stayed in The Dairy. The dairy was an amazing apartment filled with lots of odd artefacts and furniture. It was also nice to see the new TVs since last time we visited. I'll say again what I always say; Yes, there is dust, cobwebs, mismatched furniture but this is what makes it so rustic and authentic. Everything that matters (The bathroom, bedding, towels, kitchen area, crockery, cutlery etc) are always spotlessly clean at Chillingham so people should stop moaning about a bit of dust and a few cobwebs. It's an ancient castle after all. This time we finally mastered the wood burning stove and had a right good fire going that had the room heated up so warm it was almost too hot so definitely no need to worry about the cold if you can get a fire going. Staff in the office are always really really lovely and so helpful. We have booked in our next trip for October so look forward to seeing you again!

Room Tip: Of the four rooms we've sampled my favourite so far is The Grey. A little more expensive than th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jarrow,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stopped for a Saturday night, with evening meal at the Tankerville arms and ghost tour for two, coming to a total of £200, which is a bit more than we normally pay for a nights stay elsewhere, however not everywhere has the history attached that Chillingham Castle has. We stopped in the guard room which was a comfy stay, the shower was not the most powerful, the bed was very comfortable and i loved the log burning stove, we enjoyed a bottle of wine whilst building our fire. The meal at the Tankerville Arms was vey nice and the staff there friendly (will go back again), the ghost tour was very informative and good value, but do take a torch, wrap up warm and wear sturdy shoes - 2 hours was enough for me, although there were other people engaged in a through the night vigil. After a pleasant nights rest we went for a walk in the castle grounds to the lake. Be aware that you must vacate your room by 10.00. Overall a good trip, i would return again but perhaps use one of the special offers (two nights for the price of one), reading some of the negative reviews i can see where people are coming from, but some of the negative comments i would see as plusses, this place is a part of history and it has heart and soul.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited chilling ham castle last month for our friends anniversary and really enjoyed it. It was snowing and so added to a very authentic castle experience. We stayed in the Grey room and although we saw nothing (we did get orbs on camera) there was a few unexplained things that happened, one being a small candle holder flying off the table! Also when I went into the chapel on the ghost tour something ditugged on my hood and then the guide explained it was my haunted by a very mischievous young girl who liked playing tricks!! I have heard the ghosts like visitors and I did not feel overly spooked overall. Staff very helpful and friendly. We have already booked to return in the summer..can't wait!,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Culver City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This review has been a long time coming, My daughter and I were traveling from London to Edinburgh for hogmany (New Years Celebration) Paola Nutini was performing there that was also fantastic, this was however 3 years ago, anyway we arrived at Chillingham castle in December on our way there, we had made reservations to stay in the Castle for the night, we were met at the gates by a lovely young woman that was maintaining the castle in the winter, They didn't have tours then(winter), The owner was at home there in the main part of the castle, I was told the owner was married to a heir of the Earl of Grey tea name, we were the only ones staying in this wing of the castle where they had some guest apartments. The Castle was fantastic, with so much character and mystery, there were many antiquities and torture equipment of days gone by, and many a tale or two of hauntings, I was told something about a dog that gets on the bed at night (ghost dog) needless to say my daughter says I was was yelling in my sleep and I had a dream with a dog in it, but I don't remember screaming, I think maybe it was power of suggestion. Our room had a little kitchen, sitting area and bedroom 2 twin beds and bathroom of very homey quality, nothing fancy though but pleasant, we were able to take walks around on our own to look at the property and take pictures, which our just priceless, we even had orbs in the photos, which could have easily been also dust in the sunlight, but it adds a story to our stay, I consider this the best place I have stayed because it had so much character and adventure in just one nights stay, this however is not a 5 star hotel, its all about the child in you and that little thrill of the unknown, if you go there, enjoy, we did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chillingham Castle? Share your experiences!