“I Usually Love this place, but problems this time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   27984 Highway 189, Lake Arrowhead, CA 92382   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Chino, California
“I Usually Love this place, but problems this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Every time my husband and I have stayed at the resort it has been nothing short of wonderful. In fact, I am always recommending the resort to my friends and family. That's why I was surprised at the issues we had on our recent stay 10/12/13. So much so that I even emailed the resort, but they didn't care to respond to me.

We came for my husbands birthday, but I don't think the person I reserved with noted that because no acknowledgement was made while we were there when most hotels I stay at do something special. We arrived after 3:30, but the room was not ready and I don't believe it was noted we needed a dog friendly room. That may have been the cause of the check in delay. When we got to our room the maid was still there finishing up the room. In the morning we noticed we were still missing a few additional items that were no big deal. I also noticed the minibar has been removed. That was weird. Overall, we were pleased with the room and even had an unexpected partial lake view.

The restaurant is not dog friendly so we went elsewhere for dinner, but ordered a room service desert & coffee to be served to us in the lobby. That part went very well and was delicious! However, breakfast did not go as well. I ordered two Breakfasts and one with hash browns extra crispy. The potatoes were burnt all the way through. They did not bring butter for the toast or salt & pepper for the tasteless eggs. When I called room service to bring those items the girl that answered said, "I will bring them as soon as I can. I have another order right now." I explained that my food would be cold by then, but she offered no other option then to wait. I said forget it and hung up very frustrated. I ate my bacon because it was good and tiny bit of my other food before I lost my appetite. Next time I will order breakfast To Go from somewhere else if I have my dog with me. The service was shockingly poor that morning and the food was mediocre, at best!

Check out was also long. Even though I told the man at check in that I had a Living Social deal for my stay, he did not ask for the voucher. I assumed because I gave the reservation clerk the information that they did not need it again. I assumed wrong. That delayed our check out, although it was resolved satisfactory in the end. Also, the two ladies that helped us check-out were very kind and apologetic, so I do thank them for their courtesy. Oh, and I have no idea why they have a keyboard at the guest computer that is in FRENCH!! That made it difficult to use. They really should change that.

As a side note, I know they have no control over their guests but my sleep was interrupted on several occasions by drunk, loud wedding party goers in and out of the room next door and I swear the person above us had a pet elephant or lead shoes. However, we usually stay on a high floor. This is the first time with our dog (maybe the last). I notice they have no special amenities for dogs anyway.

Although these may seem like small things, they did affect our overall experience at the resort. There are still a lot of wonderful things about the resort that make me want to return, but I feel like maybe a bit more training or help is needed to resolve some of these issues in the future. I hope that the Marriott taking over has not affected the personal touches and charm of the resort we had come to love over the years.

Room Tip: Stay on an upper floor if you don't have a dog with you to avoid noise from anyone above. The b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was disappointed that we were not advised that we were put in a pet friendly room. I didn't know until I heard the dog barking in the adjacent room. When I called the front desk to inquire I was told that we were in the pet wing. When I expressed my surprise that I wasn't advised and that I find that there are issues such as cleanliness due to pet "accidents", barking, allergies associated with dander and fur, I was not offered another room or any other compensation.
I also heard the creaking floor when the occupants above walked.
Being a Marriott Platinum Elite member, we are accustomed to better service from a Marriott associated hotel.
The hotel is situated by the lake with lovely views (if you don't get the parking lot view) and a nice lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
La Verne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our son, who lives in Lake Arrowhead, booked us into a lake-view room at the resort for one night during a family gathering when his house was overflowing with guests. The view of the lake through the trees from our private balcony was wonderful, but the room was average, considering the price. It was good-sized, and the bed was comfortable, but the rather spectacular lobby led us to expect a room that was above average.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, since we were there for a family party, but we did splurge on room service for breakfast, and it was delivered promptly and arrived hot. The young man who brought it served it on the balcony, putting a tablecloth on the table and setting everything out for us, complete with cloth napkins. The food was good, but I think I would have enjoyed it even if it hadn't been!

The resort would not be our first choice for a stay in Lake Arrowhead. It's just a big hotel with a nice view of the lake and a lot of amenities, which we wouldn't use. It might be exactly what some people are looking for. We prefer something with a little more "lake ambiance," a little more rustic. But this was a gift, and we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra cost for a lake view room. Anything else has a view of the parking lot! And ask for a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel far exceeded our expectations, we had a gorgeous, king-bed room facing the lake and swimming pool. The facilities were just beautiful, dining in the hotel restaurant, Bin 189 (named for the highway, not the quantity of wine bottles. Met two wonderful young women who worked at the restaurant, Lea Hatch and Lucia Carruthers, both provided warmth, friendliness and excellent service. We will keep in touch with them. Our dinner was a shared New York steak with a seared ahi appetizer. Both were delicious.

Enjoyed a hike partway around the lake with Andrew, hotel guide, and marshmallow s'mores by the firepit on the beach one evening while Andrew told about the local flora and fauna. Octoberfest in town was fun, if a bit loud and repetitive. Absolutely recommend the boat tour around the lake with Captain Craig. Okay, so his spiel is a bit corny, but very funny and he is a lively, entertaining and informative gentleman.

Had dinner the second night at the Grille at Antlers Inn over in Twin Peaks. Interesting décor, very rustic, though I have never really been a fan of dead animal heads hanging on the walls.
We again shared a pasta dish with pumpkin-filled ravioli in a pumpkin cream sauce which had me surreptitiously licking the plate!

Third night dinner was at the Thai restaurant in town. We sat at the sushi bar and had a wonderful conversation with the sushi chef, Dave, from Texas! We told him "omikase" (chef's choice) and he went to town. Some of the best sushi/sashimi we have had anywhere!

Only two drawbacks to our whole stay. On the hotel website it advertises that you can pre-order a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries to be delivered to your room upon arrival for an extra charge of $40. This was a special weekend for us so I ordered. Sure enough, we'd only been in our room a few minutes when there was a knock at the door and there was our ice cold champagne and strawberries. My husband gave the delivery person a generous tip. Upon checkout three days later we noticed a charge on our bill for $71. When we questioned it we were told that was for the champagne and strawberries, plus a room service charge, plus a "convenience charge" (huh?), plus an 18% gratuity for the delivery person. WTF?! Where did it say that on the website???? We were pretty teed off. The desk clerk finally agreed to take $20 off our room charge, but I was still pretty upset. I believe that's called false advertising. The other drawback was that I was told on the phone when the reservation was made that yes, there was a small refrigerator in the room for our convenience. When we called maintenance to come look at it because it was warm, not cold, we were told that they are really not refrigerators, but "coolers", like your basic picnic Coleman, not really meant to be refrigerators. What??? So the fruit and cheese and other things we had brought to nibble on had to be kept in the little portable cooler we brought with us (thank heaven), and constantly refilled with ice from the ice maker down the hall. Again, false advertising. Dump the "coolers', put in real refrigerators!

Room Tip: Third floor gives the best view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Here's a quick synopsis with further details below if you have the time/interest:
- Don't stay here. It's that simple. The rooms are aging and not at all inviting. Thin walls/floors and with lots of ambient noise everywhere that you'll hear nonstop.
- If you must stay, get a TOP floor lakeside view to minimize the damage. Lower floors are incredibly noisy and "alpine" views are actually of the parking lot. with their balconies just feet away from parked cars. Awful.
- The hotel restaurant is mediocre at best and expensive. Staff are young and inexperienced and just don't care about delivering a good culinary experience. Expensive bar with very tiny pours. You're better off sticking with beer.
- No one used the pool as it wasn't heated. Lots of kids with water wings were disappointed.
- Marriott just took over full time management October 1, but there's a lot of work to be done, especially with the 2-star caliber rooms.

Details: Stayed here for three nights in late September/early October and were given a 2nd floor lakeview room. Well appointed lobby, but beyond that, we had a surprisingly disappointing experience. The room quality is deservingly 2 stars with old furniture, worn carpet, stains, unspectacular bedding, and a small ancient first generation flat screen TV. Don't believe the web site room photos. We could have lived with most of it, but the worst part was experiencing the thinnest walls/floors of any "resort" we've ever stayed at. The sound transfer from the rooms/hallway above was simply unbelievable, leading us to call the front desk to make noise complaints for the first time ever in 30+ years of traveling. It didn't help. There was a wedding party one day while we were there and they all looked as unimpressed as we were, while children ran throughout the hotel bar area trying to find something to do with their time as bridesmaids sulked. We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner the first night, and my better half (who is a professional chef in the SF Bay Area) vowed never to go back given the lackluster food quality, cold food temperature, and mediocre service. Lots of young, newbie staff who are without any culinary passion at this place and it shows.

Pluses: Lake Arrowhead is beautiful. Great place to relax along the shore. If it weren't for the beauty of the lake as the fall colors were starting to arrive, we would have checked out early and forfeited our money to find a better quality place to stay. This is the first negative resort review I've ever done, but I only think that it's fair to let people know what they might well also be running into.

Room Tip: Only opt for a top floor, lakeview room to avoid loud noise on lower floors and parking lot traffic...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!