“Christmas at Saddleback Inn” 5 of 5 stars

You added Saddleback Inn to your Saves list
Saddleback Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   300 S. State Highway 173, Lake Arrowhead, CA 92352   |
San Diego, California
“Christmas at Saddleback Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

We were looking to spend a few days away from home in the local mountains over Christmas. We wanted to take the whole family (including our dog) and used TripAdvisor to find a nice pet friendly place. We selected the Saddleback Inn based on other members reviews. Although, the reviews were mixed for the Saddleback Inn most negative inputs were about price (supply and demand factor in here). Believe the positive reviews! We had a one bedroom cottage with king bed upstairs and nice living area down (with pull-out bed). The room was very nice with plenty of room, my daughter insisted on bringing a 5 foot Christmas tree (along with other decorations) which I told would never fit. Well it did and looked great next to the staircase. Norman Rockwell couldn’t have painted a nicer picture. The staff was great, giving us a small gift at check-in; they even gave our dog a special gift. Karen at the desk was super friendly and made sure we knew that if we needed anything “just ask”. This Inn is not the Ritz, but it has charm that no corporate chain I ever stayed at has. Give it a try.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed over thanksgiving and booked with another couple staying in another cabin. We booked here because they allow dogs which is a huge plus and they were very accommodating about it. The other couple booked a few weeks before us and when I went to book they were charging us $20/nt more, I asked about it and they were nice to wave the pet fee, but said it was more expensive because the cabin had a better view, a porch and a fireplace. I agreed and booked, my husband was coming home from deployment that week and I was looking forward to sitting in front of the fireplace.
When we checked in there was no fireplace, when I bought this up to the front desk, and said this is why I was supposedly paying more, they didn't know why I was told that, and they did nothing to reduce my cost, or move me to a cabin with a fireplace (non were available). We were next to our friends, our "view" was no different. There was a porch, but it was 26 degrees so we had no intention of using it.
They charged us $200/nt (with a two nt minimum) for a tiny "cabin", which was basically one room with a bed that barely fit in it.

PROS
Allows dogs
Great location (can walk to downtown lake arrowhead with the shops), 7-11 next door
Friendly staff (even if they charge too much they are always very nice and pleasant to deal with)
Double jacuzzi tub (didn't use it, but looks nice)

CONS
Way over priced
Cabins very small (barely fits a bed, bedside table and chair).
Bed not comfortable.
Didn't correct mistake with room/price

Do not recommend unless you have a dog and you are desperate to bring them

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Saddleback Inn is absolutely beautiful in the fall with colored leaves. The staff was amazing! I told the staff the weekend was a special occasion and they gave us a free upgrade to a king suite cabin. The cabin was extremely clean and comfortable with an extra large jacuzzi. The only down side of the cabin itself was the absence of DVD player (tvs are rather small too). This usually is not a problem except there was nothing to do in Arrowhead except their shopping center which did not have any entertainment. If you want to actually do something, you need to drive 45 min to Big Bear Lake. Luckily, the hotel has a very nice restaurant with great service and food.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
anaheim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Needed a place to stay since it was too snowy to reach our cabin! Even though sparsely staffed due to the huge storm, we received great, friendly service. The owner was even there to work the bar and make dinner for the guests. Room was clean, small and cozy. Loved the fireplace and whirlpool tub for two. Great location in town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The hotel is not that bad, but it's expensive for what it offers. I had a comfortable cottage. Excellent bed, very silent, NO SMOKING, and the convenience of a 7-Eleven just 50 steps away, inside the hotel's property. The problem is, for an expensive price (I don't know if I can talk about price here, but it wasn't a bargain, I assure you), I could have a LCD TV instead of a 20" CRT in the bedroom, and a bathtub that could always have hot water - after halfway full, the water comes cold - at least in that room. The city lacks a lot of options for fun, and the hotel doesn't offer pool or billiards, for example. It's just the room (cottage) and parking lot.

However, the location is the best possible. Too bad the city doesn't seem to be projected for pedestrians - you need a car to go everywhere, and that's annoying. There are only sidewalks in some parts, and in most of the time you have to walk among the cars. The hotel is one of the closest to the Village, a mall that holds most of the city's attractions.

There's also a restaurant, and that one's perfect. I would give a 5-star rating for that. Excellent service, ambiance and food - also expensive, but excellent quality.

I can say I had a good time in this hotel. I wouldn't spoil my days there because of these imperfections, but for that price, I should have had a better service.

It's a good place. The attendants were excellent - always very polite ad ready to help. It could actually offer more for the price charged, but I wouldn't say it's not a good option because of that.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed here June 13-18 and liked it so much that I rearranged my travel plans, cut short my scheduled time at Southern California beach areas, and returned here June 27-30. I had a lovely one-bedroom cottage the first stay, and a different but equally lovely one-bedroom cottage the second stay. Each cottage had a large living room with a cozy gas fireplace, comfy sofa and dining room table that seated four. The king-size bed in the separate bedroom was very comfortable and I slept soundly each night. The double size jacuzzi was wonderful. It was in a lovely forested setting just a few steps from the Lake Arrowhead village. Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. Housekeeping kept the cottage immaculate. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Orange Couty,CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

The staff was extremely friendly and knowlegeable/helpful planning our daily excursions. While the restaraunt only offers a limited selection on their dinner menu the meal was five stars all the way; service, presentation, flavor and pricing. We stayed in a quaint cabin style cottage which was comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Saddleback Inn? Share your experiences!