“Decent value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Lake Arrowhead B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Kind of dated but decent enough. We stayed in a cabin which was quiet but required going down and up about 25 steps. Free breakfast was acceptable. Actual rating would be 3 1/2 stars. I found the 7 -11 very convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Saddleback Inn after 15 years hoping to experience again the peace, beauty and tranquility of the tall pines, cool clean air and the sparkling lake. The location is as lovely as ever, but sadly the Inn itself seems to have become a little dated and worn. The cabins and rooms are still charming and cozy, but in need of updating....especially the sports theme of the rooms which clashes with the romantic setting. Also the rooms need a more thorough cleaning. Overall we did enjoy our stay and the lovely setting.

Room Tip: All the rooms and cabins are different. Take your time to thoroughly look at the pictures. I would...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We chose the Saddleback Inn based on recommendations and its location. Lake Arrowhead is a beautiful area with stunning views. This hotel is within walking distance to Center Stage which holds regular concerts.

The room we were given was on the second floor. It had newer carpet, king bed, flat screen TV, and quiet wall a/c. The bathroom looked old but everything functioned just fine. The tub was big enough for four, but that was NOT a need for us : )

Reading previous reviews, I learned the hotel could be loud with partiers. To avoid this from happening, I left the a/c fan portion on all night, and we didn't hear anything outside our room.

The next morning, a breakfast buffet was provided in the restaurant. We arrived just after breakfast started being served. I was disappointed by the temperature of the food, especially since it hadn't been out long.

All in all it was a great stay and we would love to return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The facilities here are pleasant enough and clean, although frankly a bit overpriced for what they are. Whenever I went to the front desk, it seemed like the staff was more interested in socializing that serving customers. At one point I walked in and they were telling a dirty joke of some sort. When I asked for an iron they brought me this funky looking metal mesh thing with no cover on it and a towel. I made them bring me a more suitable iron. The restaurant was great...the food was delicious...but my dinner would have been a lot more pleasant if it wasn't accompanied by drunken karaoke from the bar. My cabin was right on the parking lot, and people in the neighboring cabin were sitting on their porch talking loudly all afternoon, and there were people in the parking lot carrying on all night as well. To make the milieu even more unsavory, the complex houses the main 7-11 for the area, which apparently is the go-to place for local meth addicts and truck drivers (a diesel truck is rumbling a few feet away from my window as I write this at 11:30pm at night!). Among other things I saw: a pickup truck with a mattress on the back; a grizzly couple with yellow, broken teeth; and a young homeless man sitting out front with his clothing in a plastic bag and his PLAYSTATION! Yes, he was carrying around a full-size Playstation. I wanted to suggest he get a PSP. Would be a lot easier to carry. Anyway, if that's your scene, you'll really enjoy this place. If you are looking for a more secluded natural spot, or something a little more high-class, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would avoid getting a cabin facing the parking lot. Go to something more secluded in the back. And...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
kurt c, Owner at Saddleback Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
I have had 7/11 as my tenant for 20 years. Never never police activity yet a yelper claims Meth addicts, homeless people, mattress in truck bed and yellow broken teeth. Lake arrowhead is a clean quiet community that has left that element behind. The Saddleback Inn is a secluded lodge among tall pines frequinted by hollywood elete and continued repeat guests. If this unhappy yelper would have shared her concerns personally rather than bashing hard working people we would have rectafied all her legitimate concerns.
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've stayed and/or dined at the Saddleback several times over the past few years, and it's always been a positive and pleasant experience. The accommodations are mostly self-catering (if you wish to self-cater), and range from nicely-furnished, rustic, multi-room cottages (our favorites) to much smaller rooms that are perhaps too rustic for most, but that may be all they have left if occupancy is high. Book ahead and talk through the choices available, if you can.

Cottages aside, the real star of this property is the Saddleback Grill, which is a great compromise between fine dining and informality. The bar area is entertaining (some seats tilt alarmingly when sat on, but that may be intentional) and wine is not unreasonably priced. The restaurant is excellent, especially when compared with the amateurish efforts of Bin189, the restaurant at the Lake Arrowhead Resort, recently engulfed by the pseudopods of the Marriott chain, where we were staying on one of our visits to the area. (We seldom ate there, choosing the Saddleback instead, then canceled our last night night there and moved to the Saddleback, and were glad we did.) I can particularly recommend their grilled vegetable plate and their pan seared salmon. Our waitron on several of our visits, Angel, was superb. Prices, while not cheap, are not out of line for the excellent quality of food and service.

We will, as Arnold would say, be back. And in the nicest way.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth visiting their web site, which has pictures of the various cottages, which...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Arrowhead, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

When life gets too hectic, I love to get away from the city for a day or two and Lake Arrowhead is close enough, yet far enough to leave the hassle behind. This trip I snuggled into a comfy cottage at the Saddleback Inn. It had all the usual amenities plus a jacuzzi tub and fireplace and was surrounded by pine trees. There are so many great things about this property. The staff is very friendly and helpful and extremely knowledgable about the area. There is a GREAT restaurant, the Saddleback Grill, on site that serves complimentary breakfasts for guests. I enjoyed that, but the dinners were absolutely exquisite: ribs, steak, lobster, fish. And the hotel is just a block from Lake Arrowhead and the shops at the village. A walk around the the lake, an ice cream cone, soaking up the sunshine under bright blue skies, a scrumptious dinner of ribs or lobster, a soak in the jacuzzi...total relaxation. I will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved it. It was my first time and I really enjoyed it. The people were all really friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent; delicious food and great service. I stayed in a remodeled cottage and it was beautiful. If you go ask for a remodeled room. I am definitely going back this summer. I am very happy with the Saddleback Inn!!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Saddleback Inn? Share your experiences!