“Stay here if you like drunken wedding revelers and karaoke” 3 of 5 stars

You added Saddleback Inn to your Saves list
Saddleback Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   300 S. State Highway 173, Lake Arrowhead, CA 92352   |
Los Angeles, California
“Stay here if you like drunken wedding revelers and karaoke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The facilities here are pleasant enough and clean, although frankly a bit overpriced for what they are. Whenever I went to the front desk, it seemed like the staff was more interested in socializing that serving customers. At one point I walked in and they were telling a dirty joke of some sort. When I asked for an iron they brought me this funky looking metal mesh thing with no cover on it and a towel. I made them bring me a more suitable iron. The restaurant was great...the food was delicious...but my dinner would have been a lot more pleasant if it wasn't accompanied by drunken karaoke from the bar. My cabin was right on the parking lot, and people in the neighboring cabin were sitting on their porch talking loudly all afternoon, and there were people in the parking lot carrying on all night as well. To make the milieu even more unsavory, the complex houses the main 7-11 for the area, which apparently is the go-to place for local meth addicts and truck drivers (a diesel truck is rumbling a few feet away from my window as I write this at 11:30pm at night!). Among other things I saw: a pickup truck with a mattress on the back; a grizzly couple with yellow, broken teeth; and a young homeless man sitting out front with his clothing in a plastic bag and his PLAYSTATION! Yes, he was carrying around a full-size Playstation. I wanted to suggest he get a PSP. Would be a lot easier to carry. Anyway, if that's your scene, you'll really enjoy this place. If you are looking for a more secluded natural spot, or something a little more high-class, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would avoid getting a cabin facing the parking lot. Go to something more secluded in the back. And...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
kurt c, Owner at Saddleback Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
I have had 7/11 as my tenant for 20 years. Never never police activity yet a yelper claims Meth addicts, homeless people, mattress in truck bed and yellow broken teeth. Lake arrowhead is a clean quiet community that has left that element behind. The Saddleback Inn is a secluded lodge among tall pines frequinted by hollywood elete and continued repeat guests. If this unhappy yelper would have shared her concerns personally rather than bashing hard working people we would have rectafied all her legitimate concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've stayed and/or dined at the Saddleback several times over the past few years, and it's always been a positive and pleasant experience. The accommodations are mostly self-catering (if you wish to self-cater), and range from nicely-furnished, rustic, multi-room cottages (our favorites) to much smaller rooms that are perhaps too rustic for most, but that may be all they have left if occupancy is high. Book ahead and talk through the choices available, if you can.

Cottages aside, the real star of this property is the Saddleback Grill, which is a great compromise between fine dining and informality. The bar area is entertaining (some seats tilt alarmingly when sat on, but that may be intentional) and wine is not unreasonably priced. The restaurant is excellent, especially when compared with the amateurish efforts of Bin189, the restaurant at the Lake Arrowhead Resort, recently engulfed by the pseudopods of the Marriott chain, where we were staying on one of our visits to the area. (We seldom ate there, choosing the Saddleback instead, then canceled our last night night there and moved to the Saddleback, and were glad we did.) I can particularly recommend their grilled vegetable plate and their pan seared salmon. Our waitron on several of our visits, Angel, was superb. Prices, while not cheap, are not out of line for the excellent quality of food and service.

We will, as Arnold would say, be back. And in the nicest way.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth visiting their web site, which has pictures of the various cottages, which...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Arrowhead, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

When life gets too hectic, I love to get away from the city for a day or two and Lake Arrowhead is close enough, yet far enough to leave the hassle behind. This trip I snuggled into a comfy cottage at the Saddleback Inn. It had all the usual amenities plus a jacuzzi tub and fireplace and was surrounded by pine trees. There are so many great things about this property. The staff is very friendly and helpful and extremely knowledgable about the area. There is a GREAT restaurant, the Saddleback Grill, on site that serves complimentary breakfasts for guests. I enjoyed that, but the dinners were absolutely exquisite: ribs, steak, lobster, fish. And the hotel is just a block from Lake Arrowhead and the shops at the village. A walk around the the lake, an ice cream cone, soaking up the sunshine under bright blue skies, a scrumptious dinner of ribs or lobster, a soak in the jacuzzi...total relaxation. I will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I absolutely loved it. It was my first time and I really enjoyed it. The people were all really friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent; delicious food and great service. I stayed in a remodeled cottage and it was beautiful. If you go ask for a remodeled room. I am definitely going back this summer. I am very happy with the Saddleback Inn!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We took advantage of the hotel's weekday special - great rate including breakfast. We went in April - weather was ideal and we beat the crowds (between Memorial Day and Labor Day). It's a quick 5 minute walk to the Village where there's lots of shopping and restaurants. Lots of places to walk or just sit and enjoy the scenery. The lake tour is worthwhile.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi tubs are very difficult to get in and out of for those who are older or less flexible. W...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were on a motorcycle trip and had planned to stay at the more expensive inn in town, but I was charmed by the look of the Saddleback Inn. We stayed in a cabin, cute as anything, huge jacuzzi tub. Yes, a bit tired in furnishings, but bed comfy. And the price was $75!!! Including breakfast. If you are looking for a chi chi place, this is not it, but if you want a charming place to stay in a lovely small town, with friendly service and locals abound, this is where you want to go. I love going upscale as well, but sometimes it is a pleasure to have value and memories of a time gone by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed with friends who rented the 2 bedroom cabin. The Cabin was really warm and didn't need any extra heat, in fact, we were a little too hot being upstairs with heat rising. I expected it to be a little more tacky like some places can be, and it wasn't at all. The front desk staff was so friendly, loaned our friend a book as they forgot a book. We ate at the restaurant, staff was so attentive and food was delicious. Being from a seafood town, I'm a whole lot skeptical about ordering lobster in a mountain town resort area. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the delicious entrees. And the lobster tasted fresher than a recent dinner I had at a fancy restaurant at home! 7-Eleven next door was our savior as we needed to leave to get back to home for an appointment. Otherwise we would have stayed for breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 25 and there were 2 couples staying, the shower was downstairs but two bathrooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
#1 of 6 in Big Bear Lake
4.5 of 5 stars 164 reviews
Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection

Been to Saddleback Inn? Share your experiences!