“Beware!” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Arrowhead
Eagle's Landing
Save Saved
You added Eagle's Landing to your Saves list
27406 Cedarwood, Lake Arrowhead, CA 92317   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Lake Arrowhead B&B and Inns
no way
“Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

I took a group to Eagle's Landing for a weekend retreat, and the weekend itself was ok, but it was shortly thereafter that some major problems began. Our group had the whole place to ourselves for the weekend, so on the morning of our checkout, we cleaned and took out all the trash, and spiffied everything up and headed out. However, months later, after we had inquired about not yet receiving our couple hundred dollar security deposit back, Martha Gibson stated that they did not return that deposit because we left the place a mess and we broke something. She was quite vague and said the files were not in front of her and she could not take down my phone number but had it on file and would call me back. Well, she did not call back, and actually acted quite aloof and as if we were being avoided. Suddenly it seemed as if she dropped off the face of the earth and would not return phone calls or emails, and never seemed to have her files in front of her with the details of the "mess" we had left.

Still, to this day, almost a year later, I believe there has been no reslove to this situation. In reality, nothing was broken that weekend, and we certainly did not leave it a mess. It seems to me, particularly after reading the previous two reviews, that the Gibson's are just not good people to do business with, and they are even a little fishy.

My fault in the whole thing was in not insisting on a written contract. The Gibson's assured my group that there was no written contract needed, but, obviously with their devious ways and my $300 still missing, I should have insisted on a written contract.

Bottom line, don't go to the Eagle's Landing as long as the Gibson's are running it. They are unprofessional and, I believe, dishonest. Don't let it happen to you or your group.

• Stayed January 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Couples
Solo
Business
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

We stayed on a busy holiday weekend. It seemed like most of the rooms were full. Our room was nice but nothing extra special. The part that was a little odd to us was that the owners/inn keepers had a lot of family (several kids) over so most of their attention was spent w/their family and not the guests. They were nice but we expected a nice quiet b&b to relax at and it was rather noisey especially in the morning.

Also when we checked out I believe they overcharged me and I disputed w/the owner and she gave me a bit of a discount. Learned my lesson to get the reservations in writing.

We wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2004
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

It's hard to really write a review of this place, as we spend a lot of time standing in the driveway, wondering what the heck was going on. We'd made reservations for 3 nights, which was immediately charged -in full- on our credit card. We arrived only to find the place deserted and the front door locked, but the patio door to a private room strangly wide open. Atfer calling the place a few times, Martha Gibson (owner) finally returned our call, and said she'd arrive "late." We were told to go find the key, go find our room and... I guess we were supposed to just "do whatever."

We sat around for over an hour, in a cold, empty place, with no hosts or guests anywhere to be found (Strange weather gave us about a 50F degree day- the house was icy cold!) We left for 3 hours, and returned hoping to actually meet the B&B hosts, and possibly change rooms. (The room we reserved had a bathroom down the hall, which would have been okay if the toilet door didn't open directly opposite the kitchen- NOT private!)

The website and notices at the house promise "Happy Hour Monday thur Saturday evening (6:30pm-8pm) wine, juice, coffee and hors d' oeuvre will be served"-- but we waited until well after 7:30 and no one even showed up! Nor did anyone ever call again. We felt uneasy, uncomfortable, and eventually so awkward, we just had to leave.

Anyway, after waiting 5 hours (until 7:30pm), and still not having the hosts show up or even call back again, we decided to call the Sheriff, have them verify that we didn't steal anything or cause any damage to the place, and left. (We did this because the website claims "The innkeepers have used antiques, and art from different parts of the world" and we certainly did NOT want to be responsible for their house, nor for their "key under the mat".)

Their website states: "it is run so professionally that guest have the feeling that they are indeed in a miniature hotel." That's not true at all. A hotel would have maybe a STAFF or some kind of a person show up within 5 hours!

They promise "a memorable experience" - it was something we'll never forget! Nor wish to repeat. It's been 4 days since our 5-hour stay in Arrowhead, and the Gibsons have yet to call to explain where they were, nor has our credit card been refunded.
Stay away- this place and these people are just weird!!

Been to Eagle's Landing? Share your experiences!