“Marriott Quality at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

You added Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23175 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA 92653   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Los Angeles, California
“Marriott Quality at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My GF and I were looking for a hotel with close proximity to Orange County coast cities such as Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Dana Point. I saw the pictures and read reviews about this hotel online and my reaction was this would be a good option. I have always had good experiences with Marriott hotels in the past and this was no exception.

This place has great bang for the buck. Even though it is located right off the 5 freeway, there is no noise factor (I assume it is because of double paned glass). The lobby décor was colorful and unique: I really liked the private booths with individual flat screen TVs, and there were computers available to guests spread throughout the area. The staff was friendly, helpful and highly efficient. The room was immaculate and the bed was comfortable. The amenities (workout room, pool, Jacuzzi) were well maintained. We ended up ordering food in one night from the Bistro, located in the lobby. I thought the food was slightly over priced, but it was well prepared and tasty. All things considered, I think this is a well run facility that lives up to the Marriott name and reputation. That being said, I think it is better suited for business travelers; the hotel was obviously planned for that market. It also works well for families on a budget.

I do have a complaint that I hope the management will take notice of, and it really has nothing to do with the service or quality. We stayed on a weekend and particularly on Saturday it was difficult to take advantage of the amenities. I had to make a couple of trips to the workout room before I could find an open machine to use, due to crowding. This was even a bigger issue for the Pool/Jacuzzi area; hordes of kids took over those areas Saturday from about 3 in the afternoon until almost 10 at night. If this is a common occurrence on weekends, perhaps the staff could monitor those areas to make sure people are not abusing the time and allowing others access. Naturally, there was no way my GF and I could enjoy a romantic swim or Jacuzzi due to all the kid traffic.

Bottom Line: Despite the amenities issues, we generally had a pleasant stay and would consider staying again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcSchlesinger, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments regarding the hotel and our staff. My staff and I read your comments regarding the fitness center and the pool area and are looking into possible remedies. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was drawn to this hotel because of its proximity to Irvine Spectrum -- it is an exit away but is located in an industrial area, by the freeway. The environment is not at all like Irvine.

We checked in at past 3pm but was told that the room wasn't ready. I requested a room facing the back and was told that the room reserved for me was in the quiet area but I had to come back after an hour.

When we got back, the hotel manager was at the front desk and told me that the room that we were assigned couldn't be released and we were going into another floor. We had to wait for another 30 minutes to finally check in. Surprisingly bad front desk service, considering that they are a business hotel and the hotel manager was there !

The room we got was in the quiet area but the double beds seemed smaller in size compared to other hotels. Saving grace for this hotel is the good service at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that doesn't face the freeway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. I have reviewed this issue with my front desk staff in order to make sure this type of thing does not happen in the future. I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future. Please contact me personally if there is anything else I can do for you.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Location is great if traveling to/from Anaheim or San Diego for attractions. Beach is close by as well. Rooms are decent and staff was nice. Pool decking needs to be re-done but still nice. We would stay here again. Traveled with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing away from the highway. Lots of traffic 24/7.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I am so glad that you found us centrally located to everything you wanted to do. We look forward to seeing during your next trip.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The location of this place was great for me since it was close to the freeway. The hotel overall (room and lobby, fitness center and hallways) were clean. Loved that they brewed Starbucks coffee so I didn't have to drive or walk to the nearest Starbucks. The free wi-fi is great and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed June 2013
MarcSchlesinger, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel and our staff and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The room seemed to be designed more for business than leisure travel. Very nice pull-out desk, an armoire and a TV that could be pulled out or tucked away. Nicely designed room for it's relatively small size. Had a small sofa and table for lounging.

The room was very clean, as if the hotel was brand new. The bathroom was also very clean. The toilet fascinated us because it is a "smart toilet," enabling you to save water (or not) for the flush needed at the time and it flushed with POWER. Very nice, modern feature. The shower worked well, including temperature. There was a small refrig in the room, but they want $2.50 for a bottled water. It's not complimentary, so bring your own or you will be disappointed.

We stayed one night and moved into another hotel a few miles away the second night since our group was staying at the other hotel. We're glad we did only because the bed and pillows at the Courtyard Marriott were not to my liking. My back was sore the next morning, And the pillows felt as comfortable as rolled up blankets in a pillow case. Bring your own comfortable pillows!

The staff seemed a bit frazzled when we checked in. Not as professional as I would expect for the Marriott. But they were certainly helpful and friendly.

The lobby provided computer and printing stations with WiFi. Attached to the lobby was a place for breakfast, but we were disappointed to find that you need to pay for it. Most hotels provide a continental breakfast or at least free coffee.

Parking is tight, so be prepared to walk a distance if you find a spot, and if you have an SUV or light duty truck, you might end up with door dings or else park in the far end and take up two spots.

We did not seem to notice any freeway noise. That's good since it's adjacent to Interstate 5, which has tons of traffic on the weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments about the hotel. We appreciate any and all feedback that will help us provide greater value to our guests. We hope to see you the next time you are in town.
Prescott Valley, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Older facility that has been refurbished. Not much to say other than it is a two star facility.
Right on freeway, so make sure you get a room on the back side of hotel. We had good service from the night desk clerk.

Room Tip: avoid freeway side of building
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcSchlesinger, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of the property and for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed our service and hope you change your mind about staying with us in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great staff - can not say enough how first class the personnel are working here. Room was comfortable, clean and had a balcony plus a mini fridge. Quiet even though it is near freeway. Stayed here for 3 nights while on business. Location was perfect. Had dinner and breakfast twice at the Bistro and all four times the food was prepared to my customizations, served quickly and was good. Very attentative staff. Seem to utilize flex staffing for breakfast and dinner peak times. The staff is paying attention to the kind of details on customer service that one typically associates with upper end hotels (e.g. calling you Mr. or Ms after one meeting) - taking the time to acknowledge you ("how was your run / workout"?) - they are doing a very nice job of creating a temporary community. Lobby is vibrant, functional and a place you actually want to utilize. Pool and spa area were very nice. Work out room is equipped with a stationary bike, 2 treadmills, 1 eliptical and some free weights.

Net - the general manager is hiring and training the right people in the right ways. Additionally it appears the expecations about customer service and team work are communicated and it reflects in an experience that is far and above the "typical Courtyard experience". I would absolutely stay here again whether or business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MarcSchlesinger, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. We do work very hard to recruit talented people to take care of our guests and I am happy to hear that enjoyed our service. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

Address: 23175 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
Location: United States > California > Orange County > Laguna Hills
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Hotel Class:3 star — Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Marriott, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Courtyard By Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County Hotel
Courtyard Laguna Hills
Laguna Hills Courtyard
Laguna Hills Marriott

If you own or manage Courtyard by Marriott Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.