“Motel not hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Motel not hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights with kids water polo team for a tournament. This is a small motel just off the 405/5 freeways. Staff at check in was friendly. Room was fine for what it was. It was clean, 2 dbl beds. Bathroom on small side, sink was outside tub/toilet area. Internet was free but spotty. Others in our group had issues with hairs in the bed, a blood stain on mattress, and a smoke smelly non smoking room. We had no issues.
Breakfast was average to poor. Room was small as we had big group all there at once. On regular day it would be fine. Food was average. Cereal, toast, waffle maker. Fruit was whole not sliced and there was some disgusting gravy dish. We did eat it both mornings, as kids just had cereal and I had a waffle. Others in our group skipped it the second morning to go else where.
I needed an extra blanket so went to front desk. Women was very helpful and brought one to me fresh from the dryer.
Motel has a small pool area off parking lot.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We've stayed at this hotel for years and it increible to think we stayed at the same hotel thats talked about in alot of the reviews. The front desk staff is very nice and helpful
( John, Fatima and Sarah ) John had a taxi on time for us to go to concert at the verizon wireless amphitheater. We got back late to the room the bed comfortable. Maid always do a great job, Im very picky about a clean bath tub in a hotel and its never been a promblem at this location towels too and I did get one with some back spot and had it replace imidatly by one of the nices maids sweet lady cant think of the name. The continental breakfast closes at 9 to early afther a concert but Fatima did make coffe and gave my husband a couple mini muffins. She when out of her way to please us, turned on the tv in the BK fast area and made sure we had what we needed. She told us about Laguna Beach being 10 minutes from the hotel and Im we just had to see this town in all the years we been to the comfort inn we never had the time to visit outside of town we usually just stay one night and drive back to Arizona. We asked to stay another night and took the day to visit Laguna Beach and drove on the PCH to San Clemete...have to say it was a beutiful drive on the cost that we have never done! On Monday morning we did make it on time for breakfast and had the must have waffles. Check out was 11 but called Sarah at the desk and asked for a later check out and it was no problem to stay till 1pm the bill always make sense and Sarah remembered us from a pasted visit that was very nice... We did have a pleasant stay and with our expirece we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Honestly, The Comfort Inn Laguna Hills was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed at! I should have known when I made the reservation, the girl who answered the phone was so hard to understand, (I really don’t understand why a “Hospitality” business would allow an employee with poor communication skills and most the important of the intelligibility of the employee's pronunciation).
In spite of this, I made the reservation and showed up to check-in and I was greeted by a women, who must have been having a hectic day because she was short with me and had absolutely no interest in assisting me in anyway. I asked to speak with her manager, and she stated that her manger was Sarah, and she would be in the following morning at 7:00am.
When I finally found my room I just wanted to take a long nap before dinner, but that would not happen. The room smelled like mildew, there were water stains on the ceiling and dark stains on the carpet.
I found dirty towels behind the door; I suppose the maid forgot to take them with her after “cleaning” the room. I phoned the front desk to ask if this was an error or was I given this room by mistake. All she said was that she would send someone to pick-up the dirty towels.
The comforter was stained and there were several different human hairs inter-tangled in it. When I pulled back the sheets to them check out, I encounter another stain.
Totally sickened at this point because I was sure this room had not been cleaned, I called the front desk and asked if I could be moved to a clean room. I was told that there were no more clean rooms available.
After spending the night in this room, I am sure the bed was infested with bed bugs and the walls were paper thin.
In the morning I went into the lobby and witnessed one employee disciplining another employee at the front desk in a very condescending manner. I waited at the front desk for a few seconds for the unprofessional performance to come to an end, and then asked to speak with Sarah.
It was no surprise when I was greeted by the woman with the strong accent, who was scolding the employee, announcing that she was Sarah. I explained all my concerns and disappointments about the hotel to Sarah and she just had no time for me.
Long story short, Sarah was no help at all. She was impolite and tactless.
Bottom line, I will never stay at this hotel again and I would discourage anyone who is considering staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here and it was the worst hotel of our 10-day CA vacation. The woman at the front desk when we checked in was wonderful and very nice but that was about all that was nice about this place. The first room they gave us stunk so much of air freshener that even opening the window wouldn't clear out the smell so we changed rooms. That one had been sprayed also but wasn't as bad so we kept it and aired it out by opening the windows and running the fan. There was nothing special about the room decor and the pictures on the web looked far nicer than the actual room. The carpeting had stains on it which gave the room a bad feel. The towels were thin and we had to ask for more as there were only enough for 1 person.

At breakfast the next morning, (we got there around 9 AM and it opened at 6 AM) we were the only ones there and there was hardly any food left. They had a waffle maker but the batter was in pre-measured cups and was sitting out. I was afraid to use it because I didn't know how long it had been out and not refrigerated. Ditto with the milk. There was no coffee left so I asked the girl at the front desk if she could bring some. And after waiting awhile, I went to find her and she was standing there holding the coffee chatting with another woman who worked in the hotel. I found this unacceptable since she knew I was waiting for it. When I poured some coffee, it was lukewarm. This was also the only hotel we stayed at that didn't have a computer in the lobby for guests to use because we wanted to use it to check-in for our flight before we left.

This hotel needs an upgrade badly and better customer service. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

The front guest staff were always most courteous and always most helpful. The woman who checked me in made every effort to meet all of my preferences regarding the room and exceeded my expectations. The room was new (refurbished, i guess) and well decorated (not typical small hotel/motel cheap stuff). The room was a more than adequate size with everything I requested. It included both a fridge and a microwave. Perhaps, best of all, the bathroom was very clean and no mildew in the cracks in the tile or around the bathtub. Breakfast was typical and adequate. The grounds are very nice and well kept. The location is very quiet but convenient to all of central Orange County. I recommend the Comfort Inn Irvine Spectrum without reservation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

On 9/26/09 I visited the Laguna, CA area for a weekend. My room was disgusting (human hairs in the bed!) and the shower didn't work. I try to stay in Choice Hotels for the points advantage and fell across this hotel through their website. When I arrived at the address I was pleased with the central location. I was early (11:30ish a.m.) and the very friendly desk clerk allowed me to check in early and gave me a double queen room next to the pool. I was in a rush to visit family that was waiting on me, so I dropped my luggage in the room and freshened up before taking off. On first appearance everything looked fine. When I returned to the room at around 11 p.m. that night, I noticed that there were greasy spots on one of the bedspreads so I chose the other bed to sleep in. I pulled the bedspread back and noticed long dark human hairs stuck to the blanket underneath. Not just one or two hairs, the blanket was full of them. I went to the other bed, pulled off the spotted bedspread and there were the same hairs on that blanket too, but only a few. I didn't call the desk because it was late, I was alone, a little scared because I was alone and I was exhausted. I picked the hairs off the blanket on the bed with the spotted bedspread and slept in my clothes. Of course after that I started noticing how the room looked unclean. The carpet was particularly dirty, especially around the door, so I kept my flip flops on when I walked around too. In the morning, anxious to get out of there, I went to take a shower and the water wouldn't turn on in the tub. Funny though that the tub area looked like the cleanest area of the room. I got washed up at the sink. I take on-line classes and had to check my school website before leaving that morning. When I pulled the chair out, it had big stains on it, yep, both chairs. I covered the chair with a towel before I would sit in it. I didn't bother going into the breakfast area because logic told me that if that's the best they could do with their rooms, I didn't want to think about how they handle their food.

When I checked out I explained to the same very friendly desk clerk what had happened and she apologized sincerely. I told her I didn't want to pay for the room but she said she wasn't able to make adjustments. I called the manager on Monday but a different clerk screened his calls and would not put me through. His message to me was that he would credit my account 20% because the shower didn't work. He would never speak to me directly. I could kick myself for not thinking to take pictures with my cell phone!

This was not an inexpensive hotel. The following weekend, when my business trip was completed, I had to book another hotel room in the area for my flight home the next day. I didn't bother with Choice Hotels. I stayed at the SNA (Sant Ana Airport) Hampton Inn. It was about $30 cheaper (government rate) than this Comfort Inn (about $120 with taxes, etc.) and the room was exceptional. Not being familiar with the area, I learned that Santa Ana/Laguna/Irvine area is so close in proximity that there are tons of hotels to choose from. My advice (and this is the first time I felt compelled to leave it) is to find a different hotel. If for some reason this hotel is the choice, make sure to check the room (and between covers, blankets and sheets) before signing your credit card agreement.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Two couples stayed two nights at Comfort Inn Irvine Spectrum upon our arrival at Santa Ana airport beginning a three-week tour of California. We were thrilled that it was just minutes away from the airport, wonderful food, and the first stops on our itinerary. In fact, we liked it so well that we booked it again for one night before our flight out of Santa Ana.
It is so quiet that you would never know you were close to the Interstate and a great mall.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
CA448, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
We thank you for your kind words and appreciate your recent stay with us.

Been to Comfort Inn Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!