“It was GOOD” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
San Francisco, California
“It was GOOD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Good shower, tight quarters for toilet, sink separate outside. Bed comfortable, pillows poor, very basic microwave, nice chair with ottoman, refrig & TV with remote. No elevator, basic continental breakfast, some healthier choices would be nice. Gardens are Gorgeous, staff polite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, General Manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Several of our guests have commented that we have no elevators and we want to clarify that. There is no elevator in our two story buildings but there is an elevator in our three story building. Thanks again for posting!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent two nights in early April at the Lodge. This older hotel has been well maintained. The room was clean. There was no elevator to get to the 2nd floor. Normally this is not an issue, but I think my wife put bowling balls in our big suitcase: going up and down the stairs was not fun.The continental breakfast was decent, but paled in comparison to what we got on this trip from a Hampton Inn and a La Quinta. This is a good place to stay if you are looking for a place to sleep, but not really a place for you to relax. A Chik-fil-A is 200 feet away which was convenient. We had an outside room facing the road. It wasn't an Interstate highway, but we heard every motorcycle that came by. We were fine staying here, but it didn't knock our socks off.

Room Tip: Request an inside the courtyard room to reduce noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the bes kept secret in Laguna Hills! Close to the freeway, shopping center, restaurants. The hotel staff was wonderful! Breakfast every morning. Newspaper! The room was big with a refrigerator and microwave. Cable TV. Pool. I could go on and on.

Room Tip: You have to pay more to not be on the busy street, but the traffic noise didn't bother us.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I used my credit card to book the room, and when we checked in, the man only spoke and made eye contact with my boyfriend. He took my credit card back for a very long time and took forever to check us in. When we finally got to the room, it was disgusting. The floor was dirty, and the bed was like a rock. We were only going to be here for two nights, so we decided to stick it out. In the middle of the first night, I woke up at about 2 AM with a bug biting my arm, and itchy bumps on my legs. Needless to say, we booked another hotel and left right then and there. The hotel gave us the hardest time with getting our money back even though I had gotten bit by bugs in there beds.

I recently got an email from the company of the credit card I used warning me that someone had tried to spend $200 my card, and the transactions were attempted in the area of this hotel. The only time I used that card during our trip was to book this hotel. Please, do not stay here. There are many beautiful and much more hospitable hotels in the area with a trustworthy staff that won't steel your credit card information.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, General Manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We are sorry that you were not happy during your stay at our hotel. We investigated your concerns regarding your credit card. When a guest checks in, we verify to make sure there is sufficient credit available and “authorize” the card which puts a temporary hold on the total amount due per the reservation. In your case, the card hold amount was for the two days of your reservation; when you checked out early, you were only then actually charged for your one night stay. Depending on the bank, it can take one to three days for the card to be re-credited for the difference.

Concerning your complaints of a bug in your room, the room was thoroughly checked by our pest control company at the time and no problems were found. Many guests have stayed in that room since with no complaints.
Clarkston, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have been staying at the Laguna Hills Lodge for several years and it keeps getting better and better each time I go. I first found it in a AAA book back in the 90's and have always been pleased with the price, service, appearance and location over the years. We just finished a stay there from March 21-25 and the property's major spring planting is in process. The grounds are beautiful with many fragrant and colorful flowers and plants. The rooms are comfortable and were all remodeled a few years ago. The pool area has an exercise/weight room, a hot tub and a sauna. The pool has a mechanical chair that can help disabled people get into the pool - first time I have ever seen this type of equipment. The location is a couple of blocks off of I-5 and one can be headed north to Los Angeles or south to San Diego in a few minutes. We usually fly into John Wayne (Orange County) Airport and It is an easy fifteen minutes drive from the airport on I-405 and I-5. It takes about 10 minutes to drive from the property to the town of Laguna Beach and the main road that leads directly to it starts just a half block away. A large shopping mall with Macy's, etc. is two blocks away and a major grocery store is about five minutes away. Many restaurants, both major fast food and locally flavored are also with minutes. A moderately priced golf course is three exits south on I-5. One of the best features is the morning breakfast which is served every morning. It is staffed by two employees and there is pretty much everything you might want there short of waffles, bacon and scrambled eggs. It is a great way to start the day. Whether it is a place to retreat to at the end of the day of playing or a place to work from on a business trip this property will not disappoint. They have room deals on Facebook and there was a great deal on rates recently through Southwest Airlines when I made my flight reservation. My only gripe is that they like to stick to the 11:00 AM check out time although with begging and pleading I have been able to stretch it to 11:30. I realize that they need the time to get the rooms ready for the new guests, especially when they are going to be full or close to it but 12:00 would work better for me.

Room Tip: I like to pick the second or third floor looking out onto the garden area
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I work in Irvine so I got a room for my youngest son (16) to be close enough to get him for lunch and be in and out. 3 miles from the Irvine Business Complex at Alton.
Felt very good and safe leaving him while I worked. Family atmosphere with no riff raff (like a few of the others close by)
Heated pool and gym.
Chick-Fil-A almost on the grounds and an In and Out across the street in front of the Mall.
Plenty to do in walking distance.
Large room with everything-wi fi- micro-fridge-safe-iron-desk-flat screen.
Shower Toilet area was on the small side but not the worst I've seen.
Big sink outside.
Breakfast was OK (no eggs or waffles though)
The front desk people were super friendly and helpful.
Family atmosphere with no riff raff (like a few of the others close by)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room was very clean and had an in-room safe. There is Wi-Fi at no additional charge. In fact, the room charge was quite reasonable for the LA area. The hotel desk personnel were very helpful with directions. The breakfast is excellent. Would recommend this hotel strongly for anyone staying in Laguna Hills, CA or surroundings.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!