“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent the last 4 nights of our road trip at this hotel. It's boutique style with a cosy atmosphere. Some reviews say the rooms are small but only compared to the general US standard. Compared to rooms in Europe, they are quite a good size. There were 4 of us 2 adults and 2 children in a room with 2 beds. The rooms were clean and comfortable, a powerful shower and a good size flat screen TV. Reception was helpful and they recognised Priority Club status. There is free Pepsi, water, tea and coffee available 24-7, a nice touch. The pool was inviting in a courtyard setting with plush sun beds, though a lack of towels at times. A large fridge is provided in the rooms. There is a grocers right next door (Ralph's) which was very handy as you could pop over and bring lunch back to eat on the tables around the pool. Breakfast in the adjoining restaurant (separately managed I believe), was very good, though on returning home, I did notice that although we paid cash for the breakfast, they also charged it to the room (on the last day after I had checked out) so nothing I can do about that. The location, 2 minutes to the beach and about 10 mins to the shops means it is ideally placed. Overall we had a good time at this hotel and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
keeptrack, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Laguna Beach, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. My staff and I appreciate any and all feedback we receive. We also are happy to hear that we provided you great service during your stay with us. We look forward to the next time you stay with us and hope you have an even better experience than the last. May you have a great day.
Kind regards,
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway, we have used it before for due to its proximity to the center of Laguna Beach. This is an older property that has been revamped a few times over the years. All rooms face into a center courtyard that has a pool, no sauna. As far as I could see no room has any sort of ocean view, this hotel is on the inland side of the busy Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). Although the ocean is on the other side of the buildings across PCH there is no beach access at this point. You have to walk into the town for that. This place has been filled with palms, hanging flowers, and plants to perhaps hide the otherwise run of the mill layout. A big improvement is the restaurant which now actually caters for the people in the hotel, the establishment that occupied the area below the check-in area a year ago seemed to be trying to operate as an independent bar. We used the restaurant for breakfast and I must say the layout was nice, real table cloths and such but the breakfast menu was somewhat limited. A few more breakfast basics would have been a good idea. Parking is at the rear with customary extra fee for the beach area, it’s not enclosed, no gate and not sure if they had security cameras. Hotel entrance at rear and sides seemed secure with room key needed to access. Rooms are small by today’s standards and although the renovation is pretty good the old building pokes through here and there. Room isues were that the carpet in our room seemed sticky, no question of being able to walk bare foot, and the AC was a window unit and very noisey (hence sleep rating below). As said, we use this hotel because it is the inexpensive (again for the beach area) option with a short walk along PCH to the center of town. There is a supermarket across the side street, good to stock up the small fridge in the room. All staff were friendly, pool well tended, restaurant service prompt. I would recommend using it with the proviso that you should not expect a plaza style hotel. Despite the elegant reception area this is still basically a motel style layout but more secure.

Room Tip: We were on the ground level, had to keep curtains closed as poolside traffic is very close.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
My staff and I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. We are always looking for ways on improving and value your feedback. We are currently in the process of updating the hotel and hope that by the time you come back everything will be completed. We hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to your next visit.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a perfect place to stay for a little getaway:) I was here on a girlfriends weekend and it was great! The rooms were comfy, the service was good ( they even got us extra keys when we were locked out at 1am) it's right across from the beach and walking distance to downtown. It's super affordable too. No it's not ocean front on the beach. No it's not the most romantic place in Laguna. But, if you don't plan on spending all day in your room gazing out at your ocean view... It really is perfect!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. My staff and I value all the feedback we receive and want to thank you for your kind words. We hare happy to hear that you had a great time while staying at our hotel and hope that you can come back and visit us again. May you have a wonderful day.
Kind Regards,
Management
SURPRISE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I have spent many vacations around the world at Holiday Inns but none like the Holiday Inn in Laguna Beach. Within easy walking distance of town, This Holiday Inn had real charm and reminds me of a bygone era. Highly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room on the "main" level. Easy access to parking lot, lobby and pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
My staff and I would like to thank you for your kind words. It's encouraging to hear that everyone's hard work is paying off and making our guests happy with the hotel. We do hope you can come back and visit us again soon.
Thank You have a wonderful day.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you do not mind an older, clean, dark room while in Laguna Beach, then maybe this Holiday Inn will fit your needs. But just know exactly what you are getting. The room is dark due to the drapes needing to be closed if you want privacy. Each room has a pool view which other guests walk by daily.

There is a window ac unit which is loud and the room has a feeling of stuffiness and being dated.

The location of the hotel is good, but the rooms have neither an ocean view nor any feel of being in a beach area. As a matter of fact, there is no enticement for staying in your room beyond basic sleeping needs.

Again, it depends on your sense of value for the dollar. My friend and I would definitely spend a little more for an ocean view hotel in Laguna Beach with more of a vacation feel.

With the above in mind, decide if a room at this Laguna Beach Holiday Inn is worth the going rate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Laguna Beach, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Cindy S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Suffern, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We always stay at Holiday Inns when we travel as a family as the value, locations and accomodations are always good. But every once in awhile you get an added bonus. Not only was the location perfect, the hotel itself was beautiful. It had a lovely courtyard with beautiful flowers and a pool. It was really quite striking. In addition the on site restaurant was excellent and would recomend both!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
My staff and I are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time here at our hotel. Your feedback just encourages my staff and I to continue providing great customer service to each of our guests. We hope that you are having a wonderful day and that you can come visit us again soon,
Thank you.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The hotel has a great location. The room was very clean and quiet. The front desk staff is outstanding. They were always friendly, accommodating, and asking if they could do anything for us. One evening I was having a problem accessing my email to print some ticket and the woman at the desk was extremely helpful. We will certainly stay here again when in Laguna Beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Laguna Beach. My staff and I always strive to provide the best service we can to our guests and are happy to hear that you had a great experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!