“High-end place, a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Spring Getaways from $470
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“High-end place, a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed for one night while attending a business meeting at the hotel. Nice large room with ocean view, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, usual room amenities, although I was surprised not to see a coffee maker. Some noise from nearby rooms, must be why they offer ear plugs. Decent fitness room, although fairly small for a resort this size. I did not have mobile phone reception in my room (lower level). WiFi in room, normally $12.95/day, but charge waived for our group. The pool is currently closed and under renovation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Not impressed at all. The pool is under reservation which we knew ahead of time. Rooms ok. Nothing outstanding. In fact, looked a little dated. The bar was closed ever though we were told it was open. Restaurant was very overrated. Very disappointing. Plus side staff were nice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

It was just great - all rooms face the beach and have a spacious balcony from where to watch the sunset. The room was very spacious, with modern design. The bed was not positioned straight but angled to the wall, which might sound strange but gave the room a special touch.

We had a problem with the iPod docking station (a nice plus) and called the front desk. Within five minutes staff was in the room and changed it, and the front desk called twice, first to confirm that a guy was coming up, and then again after he had left to confirm it was OK. That is excellent customer service!

I had a similar positive experience when I found a cheaper price online and they immediately matched the price.

Internet in the room is supposed to be 12.95/night, also a bit pricey, but when I called, they offered it to us for free - nice!

The only setback is the hefty parking fee of USD 30 (valet only), which I just consider too high - you'll see that most reviews share this.

We had been to the Casa Laguna before, which is certainly more romantic (while the Surf & Sand is a big hotel), but lacks the perfect location just at the beach.

Carlsbad CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in late Dec. 09 for our 17th wedding anniversary and it was wonderful. From the moment we drove into the driveway, everything was perfect. Beautiful entry and lobby. Spectacular service from the valet to front desk to the bell staff to housekeeping. We had a top floor oceanfront tower room that was truly lovely. Very spacious, clean and well-appointed while also exuding a feeling of comfort. The view is unmatched! Smack on the beach with a never-ending view of the Pacific. We told Lisa at the front desk that it was our anniversary and she sent us a lovely note and gift -- those kind of generous touches helped make our stay truly memorable.
We had a delicious dinner at Splashes, again with wonderful service.
Overall a top notch experience and worth every dime. We sincerely compliment the management for their attention to detail, hiring wonderful staff and training them perfectly in great customer service. We travel a lot and stay in 4 to 5 star hotels - you're at the top of our list!
JOB WELL DONE SURF AND SAND MANAGEMENT AND STAFF!

Ellensburg, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Beautiful view, beautiful room, but beware. I received the trip as gift from my brother (it was for his niece's wedding, which was held in the resort). He prepaid the room charges, but when I checked in, I was told they needed a credit card in case of incidental expenses. Fine. I gave them the number of my debit card.

Without telling me and without getting my permission, the hotel then obtained preauthorization for the cost of the room, even though it had been paid weeks before. That meant a rather significant hold placed on my checking account.

Incidentally, my brother was not informed that his guests would have their personal credit cards used in this fashion.

I gather this preauthorization is arguably legal, although the common practice, in my experience, is for the hotel 1) to inform the guest this is being done, and 2) only to obtain preauthorization for unpaid expenses (in my case, that would be a reasonable amount for incidentals).

I gather this is standard practice for JC Resorts, not just for this hotel. My advice: know what you're getting into, and be alert. If the business uses one such shady practice, what else might it do?

p.s. (When I arrived, there was a fish cracker on the floor that didn't come from me. Although the room appeared otherwise clean, it did make me wonder.)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Malvern, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

This was the most fantastic hotel EVER! The view is amazing. You have to walk on the balcony to see the sand. Dolphins go by in the morning, walked with the kids to the tidepools, hubby and I had a couples treatment at the FAB spa and it was one of the best I've had. Splashes is great with kids and at night with friends. Terrific food and the wine list had terrific choices. Go straight there and don't leave!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Kingman Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Booked by phone way in advance of arrival and paid $525 a night for the supposed, premium, oceanfront tower, corner King Room. Reservationist lied to me about room type, location and amenities. Front desk tried to fix things but was slow. Got home after vacation, and checked their price online and found this room was going for the mid $300s. No one offered a price deduction while I was there and I figured I was overcharged around $400. (2 night stay). The pluses, staff was super friendly and helpful. Restaurant was outstanding. Location was unbeatable. Negatives, only expensive valet parking available, rooms lacked adequate heat, no AC at all, no refrigerators in rooms, grossly overpriced rooms with comparable properties, Spa has only one toilet and only 2 sinks in the womens side, not a real serious Spa. This property has so much potential but is handicapped by numerous minor negative drawbacks.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!