“High end place, can be noisy” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1555 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“High end place, can be noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed one night while attending a business meeting at the hotel. Nice large room with comfortable bed, spacious bathroom (although the toilet got backed up), usual room amenities. There is a safe which fits a laptop. Some noise from nearby rooms and from the fire pit, where people gather at night - must be why they offer ear plugs. WiFi included. There is a fitness room (I didn't visit it this time). The staff is way too obvious fishing for tips e.g. trying to snatch a carry-on bag from your hand to carry it a few steps across the lobby, etc.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

757 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I travel for my job...this is one of the few places that I would spend my own money to come back to for a personal vacation. Try it you will fall in love with it! The proximity of the room to the ocean is outstanding and certainly an experience that you will not forget. Having breakfast overlooking the ocean early in the morning from the restaurant...there are no words to describe the beauty.

Room Tip: Catalina Terrace Room - Beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This is a great resort located on the beach. The staff was very friendly and attentive. There are a couple of restaurants on the property with prices that are not overly expensive. At this resort you are within walking distance to many restaurants, art galleries, shopping a public beach. This resort does not have air conditioning which was not a problem in early March, but could be a concern in July or August. I will come back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I, along with my infant daughter, stayed 4 nights at the S&S while we vacationed in Southern California. I spent a little bit more money than I usually do, because I was about to begin chemotherapy, and wanted to do something really special with my little family before it all began.

A few days before we were scheduled to arrive, S&S called my cell phone and said they had noticed I would be traveling with an infant - and asked if they could put a crib in our room, free of charge. I thought that was really cool of them.

We pulled in after a long drive, and were greeted by energetic and very friendly valets, the helped us out of the car, and a bellman immediately got all of our baggage onto a cart for us and directed us to the front desk.

The desk agent was happy and helpful and was really fun to talk to. While checking us in, she made suggestions about things to do around town, as well as hotel amenities.

We booked the Deluxe Tower King room - and when the bellman took us up to the room, well.... WOW. If you've never been here, It's hard to describe. We were on the 5th floor, (i think?) and as he opened the door we heard the roar of the ocean waves. The room was spacious and clean and modern. The bed was soft, and the bedsheets were so SOFT! MY favorite part (of course) was our private walk out balcony with its lounge furniture, directly over the sand - just a few yards from the ocean waves. We were so close to the ocean on that balcony I swear I could almost feel the mist!

From our balcony we watched amazing sunsets, beautiful waves, and even saw DOLPHINS on several occasions! We spent hours out there; and ended up having a lot of our meals there!

They made us feel so welcome, and really made an effort to help out with my daughter when she was fussy. Free DVD rentals at the front desk, paper delivered to my door, GREAT room service, helpful staff.

Only ONE negative about my stay there - it's a completely NON SMOKING property and the folks on a balcony near us obviously didn't see the many signs saying not to smoke on the balcony. SO we got a pretty big batch of secondhand smoke - however, we were able to spot where they were and when we called the front desk, they put security on it and took care of it right away. ****NOTE**** If you are staying at a property that advertises as completely smoke free, please don't smoke. That's a big reason why I choose those properties, and I think it's classless to light up at places like that. I don't want to smell it, and I don't want my daughter breathing it.

This place is awesome, I paid what I thought was quite a bit, but from what I could see - this is the best property in Laguna by far - you just can't beat the location.

THANK YOU S&S! WE WILL BE BACK!!!

Room Tip: We had excellent luck with the Tower Deluxe.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Surf & Sand this past weekend. Unfortunately, it decided to rain this particular weekend in So.Cal, but who cares when you are at the beach right?! Our room was on the sixth floor with an amazing view of the ocean. I had hoped to score a room on floors 7-9, but for whatever reason we ended up on the 6th floor. The room itself was classy and clean. Our bellman was extremely friendly and knowledgable. The best part of the room was being able to sleep with the door open and being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. We ate at Splashes on our first night and really enjoyed the food. The service was also exceptional. My husband and I did use the jacuzzi on Saturday morning and had the whole place to ourselves. The pool area is very nice and it would have been great to spend the day out there but we had a wedding to attend. Oh, one more thing, it was my birthday trip and the hotel did send up a tiny box of Belgian chocolates and a small bottle of wine. Nice touch and made me feel welcome! Thank you Surf & Sand. We shall see you again!

Room Tip: We had no issue with noise on the 6th floor but I have read other reviews indicating the higher floo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I decided to stay in Laguna at the last minute and truly enjoyed staying at the Surf & Sand Resort. This is the first time we've stayed in Laguna and I don't think we will stay anywhere else if we visit again. We don't live far away and it can be hard to splurge when you're so close to home, but it was worth it. It was great to listen to the waves crashing on the beach below and the spectacular ocean view was awesome! We will keep our eyes open for a great deal so we can stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I really enjoy staying at this hotel. It can get a bit expensive during the summer time but so much fun to stay here. The hotel sits right on the ocean and has awesome views. I only live 15 miles away but every time I stay here it feels like I’m on vacation. The bar area is nice to sit and listen to the waves crash below you. The pool area is so enjoyable and I can easily hang out here all day and run up a decent pool bar tab. The rooms are nice but really nothing special. Don’t get the room directly in front of the swimming pool gate or you’ll hear it slam nonstop. Also when eating room service on your balcony watch out for seagulls…they have no problem landing on your table while you are still eating. The location is great with tons of restaurants, bars, shopping and art galleries right outside the front door. So ready for summer to come and spend the weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!