“Rest and Relaxation (not for everyone)” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1555 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Santa Clarita, California
“Rest and Relaxation (not for everyone)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I went there for 3 days 2 nights for a business meeting. After reading posts on "trip advisor", I was looking forward to rest and relaxations.

Hotel is actually right on the Pacific Ocean. I would call this place a "large boutique" hotel.

Lobby is actually very small but friendly staff. My room wasn't ready (checked in at 1:30 PM) so I waited outside while overlooking the ocean....not a lot of stuff do there at the hotel.

My room had a fantastic view of the ocean (just steps away). I was mesmerized from the view when I stepped out onto the balcony. I was so looking forward to next few days. Room was pretty decent size but the closet was tiny. If you were staying there with your significant other or a family, it would not fit in there. Bed was excellent (comfort).

I have been told that the sound of waves actually puts people to sleep but it was not the case with me. First night was the worst - storm & sound of waves. Noise coming from the waves was just unbearable. There was zero sound proofing on the sliding door to the balcony. I tried to use the earplugs that were provided but that did not work. I had to turn on the t.v. to drown out the noise coming from outside. Didn't get any sleep the first night.

I decided to leave early the second night after returning to the room and and the noise level coming from outside again was unbearable.

This is a beautiful hotel and the view is fantastic. Staff is great!

Unfortunately, sound of waves is not for everyone!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I offer my sincere apologies in learning that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort.

We strive to make every guest’s experience a pleasant one; however, there are
occasions when the elements prohibit our efforts. We do have other room locations
to offer that are not as close to the sound of the waves and still provide lovely ocean views.
We would certainly enjoy having you as our guest in the future. Please call upon me in the
event you are able to return so that I may better accommodate the details of your
stay.

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager
Surf & Sand Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just spent two nights at the hotel. Location is truly amazing, right on the beach, with high-quality facilities. However, overall experience was ok, not awesome:

1/ BR was great and bed was v comfy. Balcony facing the ocean was beautiful (room 347)

2/ Bathroom was ok, but not comparable to other luxury hotels such as Four Seasons or Ritz (no separate shower, towels are v small)

3/ Their restaurant is ok, but not more than that. We had appetizers at the bar downstairs and food was ok. For breakfast, we had a good meal (eggs Benedict, toasts) but needed to pay for every single item, including extra piece of bread. They also don't have home-made fresh squeezed juice. This is not the service level I expect from a five-star hotel. You'd better price up the items but provide a rich experience rather than cheap down on every item

4/ They force you the use their valet parking services, charging $30 per day,while the car literally parks in front of the hotel. It's not that I mind paying $30 for good, useful service, but it didn't strike me as required at that case

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We only stayed two nights here as part of a 10 day SoCal vacation and in hindsight I wish we stayed longer. We had a corner room in the main building on the 3rd floor. The sunsets were amazing and the waves lulled us to sleep each night. We had an awesome and extremely relaxing stay! We had our 3 month old with us so were in early each night, but we loved the short stroll to where the shops and restaurants were. There a liquor store close, so we bought some nice wine and enjoyed that on the patio once the baby was down. We also realized the hotel restaurant has corkage free Monday and took advantage of that with a really nice wine we brought ;) Overall, you won't be disappointed, the rooms are spacious and well kept and the furniture on the patio is very comfortable, so we loved our time just soaking in the view and the sounds!!

Stayed November 2013
Lantana, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our family recently stayed at this property in November of 2013, just prior to Thanksgiving. The location of this resort is excellent in Laguna, we found it close to everything we needed. The staff was very nice and also very helpful all around. The valet staff was great and accomodating. Valet is $30/night, parking in Laguna is hard to come by so parking at the resort is probably best. The food was ordered from that bar was good, the beach was clean with plenty of chars and umbrellas for guests. The main bedroom was very nice, bed super comfortable and the turndown service also a plus. The view of the ocean is outstanding and very peaceful.

I did find it a bit noisy with guests from above. The wifi signal, although free which is nice, is super weak. My ipad couldn't connect and hold a signal from the on premise wifi. The cell service at least with AT&T is also pretty weak at this location.

Overall a very clean and well maintained resort, I would certainly stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have been staying at this property for the past 30 years and it just continues to get better. The view of the ocean and the sound of the waves gently coming ashore beneath your room is beyond compare. The staff are friendly, professional and highly service oriented. The location is the perfect walking distance from amazing shopping and restaurants.

A big "thank you" to the team at Surf & Sand for the excellent service and wonderful years of memories. Don't know how you manage to just keep getting better - but you do!

Room Tip: The towers are the best for views and sound of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just went to the Surf and Sand for one night to stay with a relative and meet up with friends in Laguna. Everything from the incredible ocean view room and sound of the surf, the wonderful meal at the restaurant and the top notch hospitable service..... was superb. Loved relaxing by the pool with cocktails, a long watch on the beautiful beach and even a brisk dip in the ocean. This may very well be my favorite seaside resort ever!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We just spent 3 nights celebrating our Anniversay at the Surf & Sand and it was absolutely amazing! I can't say enough about the accomodations, service, and property. Our room was spectacular- the views were breathtaking and the bed was super comfortable. Not only was it incredibly elegant, but it was spotless. The service at the S&S is fantastic - from the bellman to the cleaning staff. The bellman was very sweet to run to my car and retrieve something I forgot and seemed genuinely happy to do it for me. We relaxed by the many firepits/fireplace and watched the sunset and drank wine at night and then enjoyed complimentary coffee in the morning as we sat by the fireplace. The property is so clean and the staff is very friendly. We wanted for nothing; all of our needs were anticipated and met. The gym was super clean and had enough equipment for a great workout. The food at Splashes was delicious, and the views are unbeatable. Everyone was very friendly and treated us like royalty. Thank you S &S for making our 10 year anniversary so memorable. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Main building in an ocean front room. The waves rocked us to sleep. When I saw th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!