“Best beach hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Peoria, Arizona
“Best beach hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you want to stay virtually on the beach, a few feet above the waves, and hear them crashing on the sand as you sleep, this is the place for you.

The bedrooms are beautiful, and the staff is very friendly.

In addition, Laguna Beach is packed with incredible restaurants and art galleries that you can easily walk to.

However, I would not recommend either the hotel or Laguna Beach for a family vacation. It is more of a couple romantic getaway place.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front in either building and you will be right over the waves.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Aliso Viejo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Customer service was horrible. The surroundings were beautiful. The rooms very nice. But bottom line is that I'd never say here again due to poor service.

After making a noise complaint at 1:30 a.m. due to a domestic dispute in the room next to me, that was addressed by security at 2:00, and then when I called at about 2:15 a.m. to report that the situation had not be resolved no one at the front desk would pick up the phone. I called three times over about 10 minutes with no answer. So, I finally got up, got dressed, walked to the reception desk to find it empty. After poking my head around, I found the attendent coming back from somewhere with two cups of milk in his hands. He said he was only away a minute or two (becuse he wanted some milk to drink). It is true he wanted milk; it is not true that he was away only a minute or two.

No offer to move my room was made. So I decided to leave (at 2:30 a.m. in the morning). Making matters worse, no offer to have my bags moved for me was made and my car was not even brought up from the valet by the time I had gone back to the room, packed and gotten my bill (which in all fairness was a zero charge after I told the attendant I would not paying for a sleepless night).

I won't be back. If you choose to stay here, I hope your experience is far better than mine

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate your comments, which I take very seriously, and extend my sincere concern and apologies. I regret that, upon attempting to reach you via telephone and leaving you a message, I was unable to speak with you personally.

Please be assured that the inconveniences you experienced are, indeed, uncommon
and not our usual standard of excellence, and I understand your frustration and displeasure.

I would appreciate another opportunity of having you as our guest in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at 949-793-8054.

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager
Surf & Sand Resort
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've stayed at the Surf and Sand Resort twice in the past year and the staff at this hotel has excellent customer service. The rooms are luxurious and comfortable as well. I will be returning here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with the waves crashing are peaceful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The sound of the surf lulls you to sleep after a day of lolling around at the well designed pool area or on the beach. Every attention was paid to us, making this vacation a must return to. Great shopping in town, can't get better weather and sightseeing surrounding towns such as Newport Beach. Went whale watching and was not disappointed watching the blue whales and myriad dolphins escorting our excursion boat. A lovely and laid back hotel/resort. And a big plus for me was that it is a dog friendly hotel and town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here with three girlfriends as part of the tail end of a long weekend, and it was wonderful. Service was very attentive. We actually had a problem with the shower in our room, they offered to move us, immediately sent someone to fix the problem and then gave us a credit on the room. The views from the rooms are incredible. Watched an amazing sunset from the balcony of our room. Plus the pool beach area is delightful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up so your ocean views are even better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

To be fair, we spent two nights prior to arriving at the Surf & Sand at Hotel Bel Air, which was an amazing luxury hotel experience with an attentive and polite hotel staff that essentially falls over themselves trying to provide their guests with world class attention. My only knock on the Surf & Sand Resort is their hotel staff, which by comparison is inadequately trained and brings an attitude unfitting of a luxury hotel. From them moment we checked in, I felt as if the check-in clerks was doing me a favor by running my credit card, and how they can possibly lose your car in valet parking at such a small resort is beyond my comprehension. When I asked to speak with the hotel manager, the clerk refused. None of this is a huge deal to me, because the hotel rooms and views are simply spectacular, but for as much as they charge, I expected more than Motel 6 level service.

If you can look past the poorly trained and disinterested staff (which I can), the Surf & Sand is fantastic. Ask for a corner room, if you can get one. Our view made our stay worth every overpriced penny. We don't typically do hotel restaurants, so I can't comment on their other facilities, but the restaurant and pool spaces are oceanfront and very pretty.

Again, I'm pretty baffled by the service, which I would grade C-, but the room is an A and you can't beat sunset on our balcony.

Room Tip: Room 250 overlooks the pool, but it was quiet and lovely. Even if it had been noisy, the surf pound...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at the Surf and Sand for a business conference. Very high end, but property is old and, while updated, there are vestiges of yesteryear. For example, our room had only one easily available outlet for cell phone chargers and laptop power supply. That's why you pack a power strip. New flat screen TVs have been hung over light switches so you have to reach behind the TV to turn lights on and off. There appeared to be no air conditioning. Thankfully you could open the doors and windows for fresh Oceanside air, but you could be compromising your security if you left them open all night. Food was good to excellent, and staff was very attentive to our needs. The view is a killer with quick access to the beach, making some of the other inconveniences trivial.

Room Tip: Bring a power strip for your cell phones and laptops.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!