“Our Wedding & Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1555 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Our Wedding & Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Thank you so much for such a Beautiful Resort to have our Wedding & Honeymoon! We were married on July 31st 2013 on the Balcony over looking the ocean just before Sunset. Have some of the most incredible photos of our special day!! The rooms, service, atmosphere can't be beat by any of the other hotels! We look forward to coming back for many Anniversary Celebrations!!!! Thanks again,
Sheri & Patrick Moneymaker
Dallas, Texas

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Harrison, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We chose Sand & Surf over the Ritz Carlton to be closer to the beach. Our room was so close to the beach they gave us ear plugs so we wouldn't hear the waves crash as much at night! This hotel was STUNNING. Our room was beautiful and bright and overlooked the beach from the second floor.

We ate at Splashes for breakfast every morning which was great, as we are super healthy picky eaters. They took great care of us.

The one thing I suggest is to park your car on the street if you can to save yourself some $$ to have the valet park it every night. It's about $30 a night!

There are so many great shops and places to eat out everyday and night. We LOVED the location so much- it's so laid back and casual. You can dress up or dress down, either way you will feel fine. I do suggest that you pack some sweaters and long sleeves, because at night it gets chilly- YES, even in August.

We miss it already and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach side are loud at night from the waves crashing. REALLY loud. It's ok if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peters Township, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am giving this resort 4 stars because this is one the nicest locations we have ever stayed at. You are literally on top of the Pacific Ocean due to a shallow beach, its breathtaking. We got to the resort at 12:30 pm realizing we'd be be lucky to get into our reserved room. I explained to the girl at the desk I had medication that needed refridgerated and would like to get in asap. She did offer to keep in in the valet's cooler outside until our room was ready, I also told her I needed to give myself an injection within a couple hours, she said no problem. At 2:30 my husband went to check, still no room. I went back at 3:30 a little agitated....still no room. Finally at 4:30 I demanded we get a room, after waiting at the desk another 10 mins or so, they sent us to our room. There are 2 bldgs on property, they put us in the basement of the bldg but right above the bar of the pool. We were on the corner with the major walkway, steps, public bathroom and tents of dirty towels all withing feet of our room. It was horrible, I went back up to wait in line again to complain. Another 15 mins later they said to go back and someone would call me. After 2 more phone calls they told me no rooms were available for that night, we'd have to stay there and possibly there would be a room available the next day. Here's the kicker, there is NO AC at this hotel so you have to leave your slider open. Blenders and screaming children is all we heard the rest of the night. After several persistent calls on my part, they did move us to the other bldg for the last 3 days of our stay. Big, beautiful rooms with gorgeous views were there. The pool is tiny for a hotel that size and there are A LOT of kids that take over the pool, don't expect to swim in it, and I didn't dare go into the hot tub, kids also took that over. They do have beach service with "free" beach chairs (don't recline) and umbrella's, thats where we spent our time. Didn't get to eat at Splashes, but had drinks a couple times at pool bar (really expensive drinks, $15 for a cup of Sangria). There are many places to eat withing walking distance of the hotel, we did this everyday for breakfast and dinner. Two of our faves were the Penguin Cafe and the Orange Inn for breakfast and we had a fantastic dinner at 230 Forest.

Room Tip: Do not let them stick you in the Bldg3, first level! Tower rooms are much nicer.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This year we were a party of 3...Mom...Dad...adult Son....from Nicole at Front Desk to Bell Service from all Bellmen....Rebecca at Concierge ....Robert, Abel and Pedro in Splashes Restaurant....Michael for check out on Baggage Service.....All friendly...professional....helpful....all around exceptional service....of course the property right on the beach is beautiful....having a cabana-like atmosphere at the pool made it HEAVEN....no sunburn for me!!!...We are already planning for next summer to go back...We ate at Splashes for Breakfast and had Lunch at the pool....FABULOUS!!!!

Room Tip: Definitely over the ocean....room 226 or in that building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Been going to this place for 30 years. Love the location on the beach. Booked as usual for a number of nights (5 in this case), arrived to find I had the absolute worst room in the hotel. Instead of the usual Ocean View and crashing waves, was on the basement floor overlooking the pool and throngs of screaming kids til all hours. Hotel made little attempt to correct/move me - even though they knew I was a lifelong customer...and was paying $700 per night. After a long drive to get there, decided to just take the room and deal with in the AM - mistake - had to keep the doors closed to block out the screaming kids in the pool til at least 10PM.

This morning, after they couldn't manage a solution (in a very large hotel), I decided to save the money and angst and check-out four days early.

Really love the place, but the desk staff was completely indifferent to my situation. And no one should be spending $700 per night (and even that climbs as the weekend approaches) to have an awful experience.

Room Tip: Unless you are booked in "The Tower" - building 2 - don't even think about it! Run!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

I am responding to your review on Trip Advisor, which has me very concerned as I
take all of the feedback we receive very seriously. As our very valued and loyal guest, I offer
my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced during your
recent stay. I also thank you for reminding me of the importance of continued staff
training in all areas.

Of course, I would enjoy the opportunity of having you as our guest once again.
In lieu of booking through our Central Reservations, I invite you to contact me directly in the
future so that I am able to personally accommodate the details of your stay, ensure there is
no miscommunication, and you receive the rate and room type of which you are accustomed.

Warm regards,

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was my first time staying here. Just so comfortable. They have morning coffee and tea in the outside lobby. You can sit and look at the waves crashing below. You are just steps from the ocean. They provide everything you need to enjoy your beach day. The rooms are spacious. They provide ear plugs as the ocean gets pretty noisy at night. Each day there are different activities especially if you have kids. We went up to the pool each day for lunch. Food was very good. Lots of choices. Everyone is very nice and they greet you when they walk by. Yes, a little pricey especially in summer but it's worth it. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: You probably don't want to stay over the pool if you're looking for quiet. Kids are there al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We all loved this hotel! I stayed here with my husband and two children, ages 24 and 16. They loved staying right on the ocean. We stayed in the Tower Building on the second floor. You couldn't get any closer to the ocean unless you were in it! We had lunch at Splashes upon arrival, the nachos and the fish tacos were delicious and we had a great view of the ocean. All the staff at this resort are very nice and professional. Our room was very spacious, we stayed in a double queen. The maid service at this hotel is topnotch. I know that some of the reviews are complaints about the price of the rooms. You are paying to stay right on the ocean in a beautiful room with excellent service. Just be sure to book a room in the Tower Building, oceanfront, second floor or higher, if you can. I booked through Travelocity and I paid $715/nt. My husband who doesn't like to spend a lot thought that it was totally worth it. We stayed during the week so we didn't have any trouble getting chairs by the pool. The other nice thing about this hotel is the location. You are closer to town. We enjoyed being able to walk to the shops and restaurants. I gave "Sleep Quality" a four because my husband and kids thought that the beds were too firm, I on the other hand, loved the bed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!