“Short but oh so sweet” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Irvine, California
“Short but oh so sweet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I gave my kids a 1 night stay at the Surf and Sand Resort a few months back for their honeymoon night. The remainder of their week was to be spent in Santa Barbara. I had won the night stay during a raffle at a charity event. Unfortunately, the money we had set aside for the remainder of their honeymoon in Santa Barbara needed to go toward a new place to live when their apartment flooded. As my kids now only had 2 nights and three days I called the manager, Joanna, and she had Tammy work with me. Tammy was wonderful, very understanding and went out of her way to help. She gave me a great deal on another night and ensured that all extras associated with a honeymoon couple were provided. They were treated like royalty, with champagne, chocolates, breakfast and a truly wonderful room. My kids never complained when they had to spend the money on first, last and a deposit for a new apartment. And after their royal treatment at the Surf and Sand they came away feeling that their honeymoon was everything they could have hoped for. Thank you for making everything so special. And a special thanks to Joanna and Tammy. Phyllis H.

741 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Excellent hotel, have been there 3 times for business would love to go back with my husband. The hotel is cozy not huge and great access to lots of shopping you can walk to. Splashes has great food, and there are lots of other great places close enough to walk to as well. Loved it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What an absolutely perfect birthday getaway just up the coast! Our room and view was phenomenal, and the service was exceptional. Every resort staff member we encountered was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and most important friendly!

From the very beginning of our experience including making the reservation Lindsay was absolutely a doll in helping us get an amazing room, while at the same assuring me how wonderful the stay would be. It was very easy and quick to make the reservation with her, and she also sounded like she genuinely wanted us to have a great time!

We arrived a bit early before check in, where Nicole was able to pre-check us in, and also have a bellman take our luggage while we were able to go down to the beach. Nicole was very genuine and efficient during our interaction and instantly made us feel welcome!

On the beach Josh (supper quick and friendly too) assisted us with a fabulous spot on the beach with two chairs and umbrella while we relaxed and waited for our room to be ready. The bellman helped us to our room, I believe his name is Brian...he was very knowledgeable about the resort and Laguna area and engaged us in conversation the entire walk to the room.

Our room looked over the beach and from pretty much every angle of the room you could see the ocean from the spacious balcony. Saying that we loved the room would be an understatement! We felt instantly relaxed hearing the waves crashing against the shore.

After we returned from dinner in Laguna, Maria and Leo along with a room service attendant (with a special birthday amenity!) all came to the room at the same time. The turn down service was delightful, both women kept us engaged in friendly light conversation. We absolutely adored these two! At our departure the next day Mike and Sean we're super helpful with getting our luggage in the car and also offering us water for our drive back down south.

The resort is stunning and really does instantly relax you with the sound of waves, kids laughing and people who seem really happy to be there especially the hotel staff. They are the ones who made this birthday weekend so memorable! I cannot wait to go back!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for a 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. It was absolute heaven!!
The room and views are amazing,the staff are fantastic and the food and drink is fantastic too! I couldn't recommend this place anymore.
Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rancho Mirage, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had an incredible stay, the only disappointment is the size of their bar and no Host you have to fend for yourself which is usually not a problem but this bar is very small but fabulous ambience right on the surfs edge you want to be able to enjoy it as a hotel guest.

Room Tip: The only rooms that we would book at this hotel is oceanfront, more expensive but right on the water...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was here for a 3-day business event, which was a bit of a pity as this would have been a great place for a long weekend. I had a room which was right on the beach, but beware if you do get one of these rooms that the earplugs provided are not there for nothing - the breaking waves really are loud!

Room was really nice, very in keeping with the location, very Caribbean-feeling.

The restaurant at this place is excellent; a really nice setting with an open area where you can enjoy a drink/dinner and watch the sun set; nice atmosphere and excellent menu.

The hotel building is quite convoluted and difficult to find your way around. I think it's a result of the place having been extended over the years, but beware that there are not necessarily elevators to every part of the room so you might need help carrying bags down stairs in some places.

Outdoor coffee area where you can get your wake-up fix early before breakfast opens is very nice.

Staff are very good.

Didn't use any of the other facilities, so can't comment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when my husband surprised me with a night at the Surf and Sand for our 5th year anniversary. I was thrilled as I had been to Splashes (their restaurant) and Aquaterra (their spa) many times. The view from our room was spectacular and the bed was extremely comfortable. There were just one or two things that would have made the stay a little bit better:

1) I didn't have the internet code and had to call to get it. When I called the front desk they kept me on hold for close to 10 minutes and apologized saying they were short staffed. I think that with the amount you pay for a hotel like this and the star level that it is not acceptable to have to wait 10 minutes just to get an internet code.

2) Our room was on the first floor and was located near their main wedding venue site. Throughout our stay we had to take occasional detours due to our main access to the hotel being blocked by the wedding ceremonies taking place.

Aside from these two things, our stay was close to perfect. I would recommend this hotel overall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!