“One of my favorite hotels in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Surf & Sand Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1555 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“One of my favorite hotels in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I absolutely love the Surf and Sand. It is an extremely nice luxury hotel without the pretension. It is as comfortable as it is luxurious. It's right on the beach, it has a phenomenal outside pool with really attentive bar staff, direct access to the beach, and all rooms are ocean facing. And the rooms themselves are designed beautifully; they are comfortable, spacious, and are designed in the color pallet of the ocean. There is nothing you would need that you don't have. And the beds are really comfortable, surprisingly so.

The restaurant is also wonderful, although certainly expensive. But the bars have great drinks and a good wine selection.

I will always come here, it is one of my favorite places to stay. Period.

Room Tip: All rooms (I think!) are ocean facing, so you won't have a problem there. But try to get a room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

791 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay here once every few months and have always been pleased. The views are amazing, Splashes is great for breakfast, the staff is courteous and really take care of all your needs. I let them know I was celebrating being single and they sent me chocolates and champagne. I received the same on my return visit months later, plus cheese plate and wine that I enjoyed with a bubble bath listening to the waves because I sleep with the sliding door open. The rooms are perfect size. And I love the Philosophy bath amenities. I really love this resort! The pool is perfect to enjoy a cocktail and some sun too! The only downfall is there is no air conditioning. The temps never seem to get that high so Ive never needed it.

Room Tip: Let them know why you are there! Higher up the room, the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Whistler Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We asked for a quiet room and they put us below a live band who are currently doing a drum solo/Tom Tom thing. When we called the desk about the noise, they said they would send security over. A huge company is having a leadership convention here. Of course they did not shut it down.

We've paid close to $700- a night to be here with our 10 month old and 2 Yr old. We've had no maid service today, there is no kids club as described when we called because it's not high season, the concierge, Rebecca, told us there would be beach toys at the desk but when we arrived, they directed us to the hotel shop to buy them.

But most of all the room is pedestrian. From the photos they looked pretty but our room is very beige and a little worn. It has a tile floor in the living room which is really cold. Also there is a walkway to another building which looks directly into our room. I've already seen people looking in as I was chasing my son around in only my towel. If you leave the bathroom door open people can see you step out of the shower from there (sometimes with kids you can't shower with the door closed or they open it anyway).

It seems like everyone just tells you whatever you want to hear. Individually everyone is really nice but they don't seem well co-ordinated. There's no beach or pool attendant. I understand the weather hasn't been great but we can't go home because of that and our room rate doesn't get cheaper when it's colder.

The bed is very comfortable though.

Splashes is an excellent restaurant. Great food and service.

They gave us a tent and s'mores included in our family rate which were been great. My son is sleeping in the tent and he thinks that is pretty cool.

I'd like to repeat that everyone is really nice but that doesn't change our experience so far. Day 2 of our 6 day visit.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a quiet and private room in the more recently renovated part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Location and setting beautiful. We really enjoyed ourselves, however, last night we had an annoying clicking sound from the electrical in our bathroom. We told the front desk and she said "oh I am so sorry" that was it. Not a great way to leave our local stay.

Room Tip: setting was great and view was amazing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our stay at Surf and Sand Resort was absolutely amazing. The hotels location in Laguna is walking distance to restaurants and shopping ( if you decide to even leave the hotel) . The valet services were so accommodating upon check-in and Jeff delivered our luggage before we even made it to our room.
All of the rooms have ocean views and are really light and have been designed very well. It was so nice to be able to watch the waves crash from our balcony and from almost every other location on the property.
We enjoyed most of the day by the pool and ordering food from Splashes, which was really delicious.
I would highly recommend staying at Surf & Sand. We felt like we were the only guests staying there!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor in the 200 building, we felt like we were so close to the beach. Our view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you ever come to the surf & sand, make sure they don't give you room 453. It's the worst hotel room I've ever stayed in. It's above a kitchen and smells like food, It has no lights in the ceiling and no lamp near the desk, I'm sitting at a dark table writing on my lap top which is the main light source. There is a party right outside my door and it's impossible to go to sleep. The view out the patio door is a brick wall. It really should not be classified as a hotel room. I came all the way from Atlanta Georgia and it's shockingly terrible, I'm totally disappointed.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort.

As we strive to exceed every guest's expectations, we clearly failed to deliver this to you.

We would love another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Please call me directly at 949-793-8054 or at jbear@jcresorts.com.

Sincerely.

Joanna Bear
Assistant General Manager
Surf & Sand Resort
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

A wonderful hotel, hidden in a quieter location and impeccable service. You are treated like royalty upon arrival and they have everything available -- spa, restaurant, excellent shopping within walking distance and beautiful rooms. A great anniversary get-a-way or just a weekend of sunshine and fresh costal air! I love the place.

Room Tip: I prefer the guest resort rooms, versus the hotel rooms, but both are VERY nice. The hotel rooms ar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!