“All about the view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Chantilly, Virginia
“All about the view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed three nights at this amazing hotel in a ocean view room. It was amazing and the sound of the surf lulling us to sleep was incredibly relaxing. The furniture is very comfortable and the sheets were impossibly soft. I found the shower well appointed, but awkward in size. The bathtub hd sand in it from a previous guest when I went to use it. Staff was excellent and friendly, from the maids to the desk staff. There is a wonderful area off the lobby for sitting for coffee in the mornings with views of the ocean or for evening cocktails on the weekend nights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Oceanside, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Room location on this particular visit was least desirable. Stay away from the 400 building. We still had a great room and terrific ocean view. We had hot water issues and Wi-Fi reception issues in our room. Probably because we were so far away from the main building. The comp happy hour was wonderful good appetizers and people watching. The splash bar is a dive. We recommend the "wine gallery" just half a mile south of the property great place! Breakfast at "Penguins". A 50-year-old mom-and-pop breakfast and lunch joint.

All and all we just love surf and sand and will be back again :-)

• Stayed April 2013
Plymouth, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My personal recommendation, stay elsewhere. The rooms are musty, dingy and dirty. I have stayed at this hotel on business a number of times. Over the last two years, things have deteriorated considerably. The rooms need updating. They are musty and the walls and baseboards are dirty. There was leftover seeds and crumbs on the floor next to the bed when I checked in (after waiting for hours). The manager, Victor left me with the impression that their hands are tied and they really can't do anything to help (he did call me later and mentioned he bribed another guest to swap rooms with me - this sounded so outrageous I declined). The least they could do is clean the rooms. My last room was right in front of the pool. It was loud without a view. If you find yourself on the first floor, be sure to request a change. If you were smart, stay elsewhere. Stay in a nicer hotel and make Laguna a day trip.

Room Tip: If you find yourself on the first floor, I recommend requesting a change. The room I was in felt li...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience at Surf & Sand Resort and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally.

In addition, we would love to have you back as our guest and have you experience the service and amenities we are noted.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 949-793-8054 or via e-mail at jbear@jcresorts.com.

Joanna Bear
Assistant General Manager
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many of times and it has always lived up to our expectations. My husband and i have stayed at nice hotels all over the world, and this is truly our favorite. It is complete California paradise. We stayed here 2 weeks ago to kick off my daughters spring break and just like always, it was hard to get in the car to drive home. i have to say that this was def one of our most memorable! My daughter got to see dolphins, a whale, starfish, manta ray and even a seal that came up out of the waves to greet us. Those are things that she nor us, will ever forget. The pool is beautiful and actually where my daughter learned to swim years ago! The staff are amazing. Anything you need or want.. they're on it. We have stayed at the montage a little ways down the road, and while it's beautiful as well... it doesn't stand a chance to surf and sand. My husband and i are going to be celebrating our 10th year anniversary in may and had originally decided to stay somewhere else. But after going back 2 weeks ago, we both realized that surf and sand was the place to celebrate. It's where we have made our most cherished family memories and will continue to make more.... Cheers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Trophy Club, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Surf and Sand is a hidden gem on the West Coast. If you were driving down PCH and were not specifically looking for the hotel you would never see it. The service at the SS is TOP notch. Everyone is very accommodating. My wife and I spent 3 nights there and our entire stay was hampered by the fog that literally just sat right on the coast line. We made the best of it and hung out by the heated pool and had plenty of drinks at Splashes on the glass. A great spot for couples or families in my opinion. The rooms are small but when you are beach front who cares. All the amenities you need is right there for you. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson. az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Surf and Sand has an incredible location, cannot say enough about falling asleep to the sound of pounding waves. Service from everyone and food was great, even room service was prompt and very good. The room itself had much to be desired especially for the price of almost 700.00 a night. The surround of the bedskirt was torn, the carpet spotted in the first room we were taken to, the second room did not fair much better as the bedskirt was also torn( maybe from the sun....if they used proper material such as sunbrella I doubt they would have as much damage) and the carpet looked like it needed a good cleaning, the bathrooms and rooms are very outdated ....mold around areas in the bathroom. I really was expecting much more for the price of the room . I have to say I was really disappointed...again I have to commend the service it was impecable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Ok..I can't say enough about the location. The Surf & Sand Resort is RIGHT on the sand. I only know of 3 hotels that have this proximity to the ocean and sand ( in Southern California).

The rooms are wide open (and completely private) to the Pacific Ocean. The building is perched above the sand, which enables you to leave your sliding glass doors/thick wooden shutters open all night...to the sound of crashing waves. You cannot beat this place. Period.

Service is outstanding ( it better be for what they charge per night). That's a given.

The restaurant and bar both have ocean views.

If you want to impress a lady (or man!) for a sunset cocktail...take them to Splashes Bar, overlooking the ocean. I've shared this with many people by showing them this spot. Even many locals don't know about this place! You won't disappoint anyone by surprising someone with at least a visit during sunset, to the bar. They also offer appetizers, a somewhat limited but good menu.

The cost to stay here is not for the faint at heart. It is worth it, if one can afford it. One night is not enough. Two at minimum.

STAY IN THE TOWERS BUILDING!
The Seaside building is NOT the same experience AT ALL. One is renovated, the other isn't / has compromised views.

TIP ON HOW TO EAT ON THE CHEAP, saving your money on such an expensive hotel:

Across the street is the Gypsy Cafe/Coffee House. You can eat breakfast and lunch here (along with grabbing a great cup of coffee). Two can eat for under $15.

Lunch: walk a few blocks to one of the best places I can think of ( if you are into healthy, tasty, organic good food). No, it's not a vegan cafe. It's called THE ORANGE INN. Everything from breakfast food to lunch is AMAZING at this cottage restaurant on the ocean side of PCH. Trust me, NO ONE can say this place doesn't rock everything they make! Homemade soups, the best chicken sandwich this girls ever had, breakfast burritos, BBQ, hamburgers that will blow your mind, and smoothies made with the freshest ingredients. OMG! Go already!

Dinner - across the street on PCH, and 9 blocks north is a Mexican order counter joint. Great grub! And cheap!!!

These eating ideas will shave off the cost of the expensive rooms at S&S. I know I've saved over $400 on food and drinks by eating off-property.

Back to the hotel. I live nearby. I'd rather stay HERE, play in the ocean, investigate the tide pools - than fly to Maui. Not kidding. It's all that. You need to stay here in the Towers Building to understand....

NOTE: it will be less expensive to book a room in the Surfside Building. But realize, you are getting what you pay for! It is NOT the same experience ( unless you book the outrageously expensive Catalina Suite - the only exception). BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU BOOK THE TOWERS BUILDING. You can thank me later for that piece of advice.

This hotel also will cater to children. Lots of fun things for them to do even at night, inside your room!

Equally as good for couples seeking solitude. You can have either here.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!