“Lovely rooms and super service” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1555 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely rooms and super service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here for a group meeting, and I hope to go back on our own someday. The rooms are lovely - the Tower rooms are RIGHT on the beach, and beautifully appointed. If you like to go to sleep with the sound of the surf in your ears, this is the place (they provide earplugs for those who don't). Staff service couldn't be better - the concierge gave us a right-on restaurant suggestion, taxi for early-morning departure was arranged in advance and there ahead of time. The on-property restaurant isn't cheap (what hotel restaurant is) but the food is good with lots of healthy options. Can't comment on the spa but the fitness room was reasonably equipped, and a broken machine was fixed within 24 hours. Having a car makes the most sense, but downtown Laguna Beach is barely a mile away, if you are into walking, with lots of good restaurant choices there and closer to the hotel. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: Room 250 was great - at the end of the hall, so has views north as well as out to beach - surf can b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

First time to Laguna and staying at the Surf and Sand and it is stunning. To be able to be that close to the water is rare on the California coastline and the service and staff are outstanding. I work in the hospitality industry so I am hyper-critical of any mistakes made, and I had a flawless experience at this hotel. Would definitely recommend it for a weekend getaway from Los Angeles.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Syracuse, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Great resort with a great staff. Our room was in the north building on the fourth floor overlooking the ocean. Very little noise other than the wonderful sound of the ocean. The beachfront was not busy making this a great place to relax. Loved every scond of it and will return!

Room Tip: North building does not overlook the pool, just the beach. Great room without the noise from the poo...
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I chose this hotel - - once again relying on tripadvisor to steer me in the right direction. They didn't let me down. But you have to do some reading and do your homework. Based on the reviews, I read recommendations like "choose the tower" "the lower level floors can be loud with beach noise" "the rooms overlooking the pool can be noisy" and "the rooms on the 9th floor are larger but have no balcony". Once you've determined your preference, I would call the hotel directly and let them know the room and location you're hoping to secure. We stayed in a King in the tower on the 7th floor. The corner room wasn't available, but the interior location was fine. We found the room to be beautiful and from this room (ours was 274) you see nothing but water and Catalina Island in the distance. Robes, mini-bar, turn down service, a knock on the door as soon as you've made a request, an exquisite bed where we slept like babies. Ear plugs are provided in case the ocean is too loud for you and you have a sitting area where you can watch TV if you can tear yourself away from the balcony. We didn't use our car during our entire stay. The town with lots of restaurants, shopping, galleries and gelato is a healthy walk away. I'm trying to think of something negative so that it doesn't appear that the hotel wrote this review:) As the room faces west, it was a little difficult to cool it down in the afternoon.....although there is a thermostat in the room and a ceiling fan to help. But this was minimal. I guess if we wanted a cool room, we should have picked one facing another direction:)

Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

Last time I stayed at Surf and Sand Resort, the property was undergoing improvements. The entire stay was terribly noisy.

When I made my reservations this time, I phoned the hotel to ensure I would not have the same experience. They assured me that there would be no construction during my stay.

Upon check in, I heard jackhammering. The front desk told me it was only for a couple of hours. Those couple of hours turned into the entire day. Furthermore, I was informed that it would continue tomorrow.

When I asked to speak to the manager, he was unavailable. He told the front desk that there was a broken pipe that was being repaired. I had already spoken to the construction workers to see how long this was going to take and they gave me a different story.

I am very disappointed and feel deceived by the Surf and Sand. In good faith, I made reservations (over $500 per night) expecting to be able to rest and relax. Instead I was once again met with construction noise.

• Stayed March 2012
ssrta, Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Surf & Sand, I offer my sincere apologies for the miscommunication and inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us last week.

I certainly understand your surprise and frustration upon learning of on-site construction as in your previous stay. The project was not planned far in advance and was due to unexpected circumstances that were imperative in addressing immediately. Upon commencement of the work, it was determined that the original timeline was not sufficient or realistic to complete the project and additional repairs were needed.

Please know that we made every attempt to relocate guests to alleviate the noise issue and also made concessions and special considerations to ensure their comfort during this period.

As our valued guest, we would like to have you return to the Surf & Sand. Please
contact our Executive Office directly at 949-793-8075, so that the details of your stay may be handled personally and to avoid any miscommunication.

Joanna Bear
Assistant General Manager
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We only had a short time for a one day to get-a-way but staying at the Surf & Sand made us feel like we had been away for a week. It was so relaxing and beautiful in every way. Thank you to the great staff! The restaurant (Splash) was fantastic as well as room service! My spa treatment was one of the best in years.

Room Tip: All rooms looked like they had a beautiful view. The dolphins were swimming non-stop!
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Superb hotel. The location is outstanding - rooms right on the beach with the million dollar views. The staff was outstanding and friendly in every part of the hotel. Our room (#423) was a little worn but nothing too bad. The views are just fabulous. The main bar is small but nice. We did not eat in the restaurant (opting for room service each night) but the food was excellent.

The Surfside section of the hotel is a little more secluded and private and is located away from the pool area. I would recommend that part of the hotel.

The resort provides ear plugs because the crashing of the waves is pretty darn loud.

Room Tip: The Surfside building is best.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf & Sand Resort? Share your experiences!