“Great views, fantastic service.” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   211 North Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Monterey, California
“Great views, fantastic service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Inn at Laguna Beach has amazing views. The hotel is great and the service is even better. Gary B went out of his way to accommodate us. We couldn't ask for any more.... Highly recommend this as a romantic getaway or for a business conference.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Peggy T, General Manager at Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Vikram M

Thank you so much for your comments regarding The Inn at Laguna Beach. I am fortunate everyday to work with Gary, he is such a professional.

We look forward to your next visit, thank you for your business

Peggy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Hinsdale, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We'd stayed here a number of years ago and had a good experience, so were really looking forward to returning this trip. Unfortunately for us, we ended up in the worst accommodations on the property - small room, facing the parking lot on the parking lot level, and noisy/drafty air conditioning system in the room. We paid for the accommodations via American Express points, and based on our past experiences, this practice can be "catch as catch can" but when I booked these accommodations - about 45 days out via American Express Membership Rewards - I was not told of this category of room. It was my understanding that there are three categories of room: premium ocean view, mid-level ocean view and "standard" rooms. I booked the reservation knowing that we were going to be in a "standard" room - not a room that was bottom-of-the-barrel. I assumed that our room would basically be non-ocean view. We asked if we could upgrade when we checked in and were told nothing was available. Again - we understand that, just don't agree with being charged $400 per night for an unsatisfactory room.

When we arrived on property, I posted a comment - very fact-based about this misrepresentation of the room category - on Facebook, which was promptly deleted with no response. As a marketing communications professional, I know that this is a very bad social media practice. As I write, I have a voicemail message in to the General Manager of the property and will be interested in hearing back from her. My AMEX Membership Rewards account was charged at a rate equivalency of $400 per night for four nights. If my "parking-lot-special" room were at $99, I'd have no issue. Being assessed at a high-end hotel price point, even with AMEX points, is just unacceptable. Moral of the story? Be sure you have a specific description of the room that you'll get so you're not disappointed and over-charged as we are.

The property itself is lovely - great location, on-premise parking, immediately adjacent to the main beach. Just make them guarantee a room location before you hand over the credit card number.

Room Tip: Make them tell you EXACTLY where the room is - or, which rooms are available in your date range. Do...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear SusanDMcleod

Thank you for your comments and even more so thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to talk to me, we certainly appreciate your comments as they will only help us improve our products and service. As we discussed I was just as confused and a little more upset how our entry level room was being sold via an OTA (on line Travel Agent), since our conversation I have had my VP of revenue audit and make the appropriate changes. Once again I am extremely sorry.

I would also like to apologize for your facebook post as we discussed as soon as I directed my Marketing Manager to unhide your post we did, I am truly sorry as we were not trying to hide or ignore anything.

I look forward to having you and your family back next year. We want to make sure your Vacation gets off to the right start and you are able to enjoy start to finish.

Thank you again for your comments and for your business
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We came to this hotel based on location & a great room rate. It was my birthday weekend, so we were looking for something close to the beach & city. I was very happy with everything the hotel offered, as well as the grounds and employees. Everything was clean & well kept. The roof top lounge area was a fantastic spot for photos and looking out at the beach & city. I highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting the Laguna area. You will not be disappointed! We will DEFINITLEY be back!

P. S. - While out in Laguna, we checked the location for the other more expensive hotels & knew we made the right choice when we realized that the Inn at Laguna Beach had the BEST location!

Stayed June 2014
Dear CKBOW

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. You touched on a couple of our greatest assets our people and our location. We are honored you celebrated your Birthday with us as we know you have many choices and we appreciate you choose us.

We certainly look forward to your next visit we hope to see you before your next birthday otherwise we look forward to celebrating with you next year.

Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the 3rd consecutive summer our family has spent at the Inn and it was so nice to see the familiar faces of the terrific staff...several remembered us by name from previous visits. The property is meticulously maintained and the location overlooking the ocean, beach and community is ideal. Each year we discover new shops and restaurants (locally owned) within walking distance of the hotel. The Heiser Park walkway along the ocean provides spectacular views. We paddle boarded and snorkeled this year at the intimate beaches just minutes from the Inn. But what keeps us coming back is the service...we're treated like family. From Annette, Jon and Will at the front desk to the asst GM Demi, to Drew the bellman...we always feel so welcomed. The only thing we missed were the Adirondack chairs just outside the lobby for ocean views. We have thought about going to a different location each summer, but always come back to the Inn. Thank you all for such a wonderful stay and memorable family vacation!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Steve M

Thank you for your comment and your continued patronage at The Inn at Laguna Beach. We really appreciate that you and your family continue to return and we hope to see you and your family next Summer. I am happy to see you were able to enjoy Paddle Boarding and Snorkeling, 7 1/2 miles of Laguna Beach Coastline are a Marine Protected Area which makes us a great place for an underwater playground.

Thank you again for staying with us, please look me up on your next visit as I would love to give you a warm welcome back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This fabulous hotel is right above the beach with a beautiful view along the coast. Parking under the hotel is free, and very convenient via elevator to check in and rooms. Our room overlooked carpark but was quiet, well maintained and comfortable. Staff were pleasant and helpful. We didn't try the pool but it's delightful. We ate out, but liked how the hotel provided food and drinks with a view. This place is within walking distance to great restaurants and local attractions. Highly recommended - even for a cheaper road-side room!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Frequent Frier

Thank you for your comments after your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. I agree with you about our location we do believe we are perfectly situated. You truly can leave your car parked once you arrive

Thank you again, we hope to see you in the future
Lake Oswego, Or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I'm a frequent visitor to Laguna and have stayed both high and low. (Montage to 24 west ). Nothing beats the montage for luxury. This trip I was looking for location, and overall value. July rates are high anywhere in Laguna- but $329 for this room was ridiculous. It's a $149 at best.
Upon arrival the stench of sewer in the parking lot was overwhelming. It was stronger in the lobby. When I asked about he smell, the gal at front desk brushed it off and said " oh ya, it's bad. It's coming in from the ocean". However, I had spent the day at the ocean and all over town and never smelled anything. The stench was clearly coming from the hotel. The hallways and. Common area sub oth inside and out reek of sewer. Once inside my room with they. Odor closed and AC on I could not smell the odor.
The room was comfortable. Bed firm and sheets stiff. Clean and quiet. This is an older property and could use updating. Common areas are tired and room decor is dated. Great location in front of main beach and walking distance to the village. Trolly stop (summer only) is one block away.
Not sure I would return.

Room Tip: Third floor with balcony for beach view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Peggy T, General Manager at Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear L O Girl

Thank you for your comments after your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach, we appreciate all comments both positive and negative as they will help us improve our products and service. A couple of years ago all of our guest rooms were completely renovated, I am sorry that you do not like what we have done, we are constantly upgrading and changing things. For example, this year we will be getting new hallway carpet and painting the outside of the building.

Laguna Beach is a Marine Protected area which makes our waters an underwater playground; however, it does limit the City from what they can do to remove the kelp. The smell you are talking about comes from the rotten kelp at the bottom of the cliff, it is the stretch of sand between our award winning Tide pools and Main Beach. I work with the City on a continuous basis so to clear the area whenever they are allowed. I can certainly understand why you would think the smell is coming from the hotel but it truly is not, and I am sorry for your experience.

I do hope you will give us another chance, please look me up the next time you come to Laguna as I would love to assist you with making a reservation and giving you a warm welcome back.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Beware of having Wedding Blocks at this hotel. I currently have one and have horrible experiences with my guests making reservations. 8-9 times, my guests reported that the hotel said they didn't have my wedding block. First incident started in March (I even spoke to the Director of Sales then). Each time my guests tells me, I would then call the hotel myself to book the hotel for them. Even when I called, some said they couldn't find the block. Just this week, my officiant called to confirm her room. They can't find her room nor mine! I called the hotel, spoke to someone who was not able to pull up the confirmation, was transferred to the Reservation Supervisor, who found it (thinking to myself - Great.). Two days later, a guest called the hotel and the hotel told her there was no block under this name. Now I am furious - This is the 8-9th time! Again, I called and expressed how embarrassing this is for me! This is a high end hotel but they can't get their information right?????!!!!! I called the reservation's line and asked to speak to a manager. The Reservation Manager was professional in handling a very upset customer. She followed up and ensure that my message was forwarded to the Director of Sales (who I booked the wedding block through). Today, I spoke to the Director of Sales (VERY DISAPPOINTING). As I mentioned the repeated issue of not finding my room block, all he was able to say was, I am sorry and I assure you that you and your guests will have a wonderful experience here at the hotel. We will roll out the red carpet for you when you arrive. Apologizing was not enough for me. Shouldn't all guests have the red carpet treatment since they are a high end hotel. I asked for some type of compensation. The Director of Sales then told me that I was already compensated since they provided more rooms at the discounted price than what my contract said. UH, HELLO???? Anything above and beyond my contract is the preprogative of the hotel. I didn't ask for them to do so. I then said, "I didn't ask for that". He responded "ask for what?" Urgh!!! During this entire phone conversation with the Director of Sales, his tone of voice became like mine (I didn't yell or anything, but was very upset). At the end, I pretty much said - you are a hotel. your reservation line is the face of the hotel. I should have not have this type of experience. Through the unprofessional tone of voice, he offered me a comp night on our anniversary...

To end this, I am sure that this hotel is great and that's why I booked there to stay for my wedding, but just beware to not speak to the Director of Sales when you are upset or he will share your tone of voice with you too.

I give 2 "stars" because of the very professional Reservation Manager. I even called her and left her a thank you message.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jessica W

We are sorry about your experience with reservations, as you know, after speaking with our Reservations Manager, our Director of Sales and myself we did switch computer systems, but we know you and your party will be very well taken care of once everyone arrives.

I am sorry for your first impression but I know it will not be your last impression, we truly are looking forward to your arrival.