“Good for a quick low cost getaway. Kids will love it!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Beach Lodge

You added Laguna Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Laguna Beach Lodge
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   30806 S. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly Travelodge Laguna Beach)   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Sunny Southern California
“Good for a quick low cost getaway. Kids will love it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Ok, let me preface this that I wanted something low cost, quick and it needed to have free WI-FI, free Parking, and an Outdoor Pool and Jacuzzi. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. I must admit, I have stayed at this hotel before under various names, but have never reviewed it, mainly because there is nothing earth shattering about this hotel. Typical 1950’s motel is really a better description. This hotel is in need of major remodeling, but IF (notice the big if) you want something low cost, close to (drivable, maybe walkable if you are strong) Main Beach and can live within modest means, this may work for you. The biggest feature this hotel has is that it is directly across the street from Laguna Beaches’ only 5 Star/Resort. I see a lot of people staying here and walking across the street for the affairs there and their beautiful beach areas. Rooms are clean, Bathrooms are tolerable, Beds appear newer. The soap they give you is VERY small, good for 1 day max. We went to the store in the parking lot and purchased a soap bar it was so small. This fits the bill for a cheap getaway. Beware, this is not a luxury hotel, I would say 2 star. The kids will love the heated pool while you relax in the hot Jacuzzi (BEWARE, the Jacuzzi is 100% TILED meaning is VERY slippery). See you at the beach!

Room Tip: Pick the Ocean view rooms for the extra $$
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Rochester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked a block of 6 rooms checking in on Wednesday and checking out on Sunday for a wedding. The Sunday before we travelled, we confirmed the final count of rooms needed with Michael at the hotel. We did end up adding a couple of rooms and gladly agreed to pay the additional cost as rates had gone up since the original booking. Everything was fine until our guest started to arrive on Thursday. We had nothing but problems with Janis at the front desk. She was rude and argumentative and kept blaming me for messing up the reservations. The first time I had a run in with her, I kept my cool and insisted on seeing the manager who straightened out the problem immediately. I had a problem every single day with our room arrangements and each time Janis whined and complained about what a problem we were. The final straw was on Saturday. The wedding took place on Friday night and a portion of our guests checked out Saturday morning. One of the guests who checked out lives an hour away. She needed to go home Saturday morning, but agreed to come back Saturday evening to help us do some cleanup. When she arrived back at the hotel, I was at another location and told her I would be there in about 20 minutes. While she was waiting, she started to take a walk to kill time. Janis came out of the office and screamed (literally) at my friend that if she did not move her car, she would call the police and have her towed. My friend tried to explain that she was waiting for me, but it did not matter. My friend was forced to drive away and come back when I got there. Janis would not call the manager for me, nor would she give me anyway to contact the manager. I filed a complaint with corporate and finally spoke to another person on the front desk who did provide me with a number for the manager. The manager told me Janis probably just needed some courses on how to give good customer service.

I have never been treated so rudely by anyone in customer service. My husband witnessed her yelling at someone else as well. Janis was on a power trip and anyone with that attitude will never learn how to give customer service. Sometimes an employee needs to remember where the money comes from that pays their wage.

I do want to touch on the rooms. Definitely nothing special, but were clean. The rooms are definitely old and a bit tired. We did have a problem with a leaky shower and a clogged sink. The sink was fixed, but the shower was not (maintenance man tried).

I want to give the maintenance man and all of the staff, other than Janis, credit for being courteous, accommodating, and kind.

The location is great, but nothing can make up for how we were treated by the front desk. After checking out on Sunday, we were back in the area later in the week, but chose to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Boho33

Travelers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel doesnt look very nice from the outside, but once in the room they are big and clean. The room looks old but its perfect for ehat your are paying.
Its just across the beach and it has a nice pool and hot tub.
Would totally recommend it if you are travelling on a low budged but still want to stay in Laguna Beach.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is showing its age, but is in a great location and is great value.

I got a Priceline "Name your price option".

The room smelt a little musty - but then its opposite the ocean. The bathroom needs updating but at $60 per night, what do you expect, and how long do you spend in the bathroom.

My room was on the ground floor at the back. It was quiet, and I could get a good nights sleep.

The ocean is a few minutes walk away through the very upscale Montage resort. It is private and very beautiful.

Next to the hotel is a CVS Pharmacy, Albertsons and a Starbucks if you need them.

Breakfast was okay - it set you up for the day - and included in the price.

The Ritz it wasn't, but it was great value, in a great location and ideal for what I needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo