“A great trip means never having to get into the car until you leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“A great trip means never having to get into the car until you leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I booked this hotel at the last minute in order to salvage a promised beach trip to my 11-year old daughter. Fires up the northern coast of California messed with our planned trip so instead we headed south. The first room I was given was on the interior of the hotel. It was depressingly dark. I ordered my family not to unpack and quickly went back to the lobby to request an exterior room. I have a thing with air... I need plenty of it. Not only did I get the street and ocean view, I also received an upgrade to room #204 with a king bed and a sofa sleeper so we could have a bit more space. This is why it's always good to ask, ask and ask!!! The rooms are all newly refurbished with great contemporary decor and a jacuzzi tub in the room (mind you..not in the bathroom but in the ROOM) Odd..but fun for my kid who took a swim in it every night after a day at the beach. The bed was comfortable with a great cotton comforter and decorative runner which beats the disgusting quilted bed spread found in many motor hotels of this kind. The sofa sleeper was.....well, a sofa sleeper even though the check-in clerk claimed the new mattresses made a difference. I also enjoyed the fact that we were able to park on the same floor just outside of our room making it super convenient to store our beach items in the car each day without having to bring anything dirty and sandy into the room. The "99-steps to the beach" was exactly as advertised. Just be aware that because the best rooms face the street, the noise and lighting from the street and balcony can be a problem for sleeping. I'm glad I had my eye shades in my suitcase.
As for the overall trip, Laguna is a real gem. Laguna's S. Coast Highway, has a great mix of "beachy" shops with good upscale shopping and dining. The cute trolley-car , style shuttles made it super easy to move up and down this village as well as going a bit further out to the Sawdust Festival and the Pageant of the Masters on highway 133. Oh, and did I mention that this public transportation is FREE during the summer?

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
dsg92651, Director of Worldwide Sales & Marketing at BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Thanks for staying with us, Debbie! Your compliments are very much appreciated and truly motivate our staff to even further exceed our guest's expectations. Please come and visit again soon! - dsg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We came here because of Marciena Spa... they referred us to this hotel and set us up with a fantastic couples package, including massages, private Eucalyptus steam room and champagne with chocolate dipped organic strawberries. The services were the best we ever received at a spa and the hotel was quaint, clean and the jacuzzi tub was the best. We loved our stay in Laguna!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
OC, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

It is a Best Western, so if you want the Ritz Carlton, stay at the Ritz. That said, it is the best find in Laguna Beach. Some of the rooms have big (for 2 or more) jetted tubs in the room, the beds are comfortable, there are peek-a-boo to good views (depending on the room) of the setting sun over the ocean.

So if you are thinking about it, it is definitely worth the stay. But please don't go and book all the rooms and jack up the prices. I want my little mid-week retreat by the beach to stay available and affordable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Several years ago when overtime was good I promised my daughter a trip to Maui for a graduation trip. Fast forward to the present. Overtime not so good. No Maui. We needed a budget trip from our home in Las Vegas that consisted of ocean, palm trees and pelicans.
This was our first trip to Laguna. We loved it.
This Best Western is right across the street from the ocean (Nice ocean views from the sun deck). There is a traffic light to help you cross the street. It is a short walk, even with beach chairs etc.... We stayed in room 303, pool level. We did hear traffic noise, but, who cares. We were in Laguna Beach.
Walking the beach at 0600 hrs. watching the waves break, exploring the tide pools, breathing the fresh cool ocean air, was exactly what was needed to recharge all of our batteries.
We enjoyed fantastic ocean side dining. We recommend the following restaurants: Las Brisas, Splashes and The Cliff. Go to Splashes right before sunset and get an outside table. Go to Las Brisas for the breakfast buffet. Go to The Cliff for lunch. You will not be disappointed.
To sum things up. We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western so much we are going back in a few days. 2 trips in a 2 week period to Laguna. It's worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Well-furnished room, complete with spa bath. Nice terrace and small rooftop pool. Breakfast was unexciting but adequate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Do NOT stay here! We checked in and checked out. After seeing our room, we were depressed beyond belief. The room is dark, dank, and smelly. The bed was like cardboard. The room was so disgusting that we would have worn flip flops in the shower (had we stayed - which we didn't). Fortunately, we left about 1/2 hour after seeing our room. Unfortunately, we wasted an afternoon in Laguna Beach checking in and out of this awful place. To add insult to injury, the desk clerk was surly when I told her that the room was unpleasant. She threatened to charge me for a night (even though we had only stayed barely 1/2 hour). As a frame of reference, it's important to note that although I do like luxury, I didn't expect it from the Best Western. I merely expected a clean, comfortable, simple room. Beware - you won't get that at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
dsg92651, Director of Worldwide Sales & Marketing at BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
As noted in other visitor's comments, most all of our guests find the Best Western Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel to be bright, cheerful and refreshing. It is unfortunate that these particular people had such an unfortunate experience at our lovely hotel. Our housekeeping department consistantly receives high marks on our comment cards submitted to Best Western so it concerns me that there may have been other negative factors affecting their stay unrelated to the property. It is our experience that somone disatisfied with a room will immediately report it to the front desk rather than waiting 30 minutes into there stay so that we may have the opportunity to correct the situation to the satisfaction of our guests. Without having the opportunity to resolve a problem or challenge, we unfortunately cannot make things better for them. The other reason I question the motive of the comments is the 30 minutes time experienced checking in and out has been transformed into an entire afternoon. I suggest the readers review our other more consistant comments and please join us here at the wonderful Best Western Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, only "99 Steps to the Beach..."
whittier, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband and I went to laguna beach to celebrate our 1 year anniversary of marriage. She got us the nicest room with semi ocean view, which it was nice to wake up to every morning. The hot tubs I have to say , they're a big plus!, they really made our weekend 10 times better. The price is not bad at all. the only bad side was that the people next door complainted that we had loud music when it wasn't loud at all and it was not even 6 pm!. Also, I'm pretty sure I left my digital camera with pics of our anniversary, and when my husband called to ask if they had found it, they said they didn't, which I think some of the cleaning ladies kept to herself!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!