“Excellent Management” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orem, Utah
“Excellent Management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I originally booked the room using an Internet-only rate. The day before I was scheduled to arrive with my travel partner, there was a medical emergency in her family. We were unsure what to do -- keep the trip or cancel it. I obviously didn't want to lose the money I'd spent on the reservation, so I went ahead with the cancellation, hoping that if I gave the hotel enough notice so they could open the room to other reservations, they'd be more generous in refunding my money. The morning of our scheduled departure for Laguna Beach, my friend made the decision that we should keep our original trip plans. In the hurry of getting ready to go, I made another online reservation. An hour later, I got a call from the hotel asking what my intentions were, because they had seen a cancellation, but then they had seen a follow-up reservation. I explained the situation and they gave our original booking back to us and cancelled the follow-up. This saved us money. And then once we arrived at the hotel, we found out we had been given a complimentary upgrade. I was very impressed that the hotel was paying attention enough to see what I was doing in my "wishy-washy" state and they made the effort to call and clarify how they should proceed. Their willingness to go the extra mile helped save me money. And I still got to spend the weekend at the hotel I wanted to book the minute I saw it online.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
dsg92651, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us of your positive experience. We 're glad you made it! There are times when one books through a third party website which prohibits us from making changes in reservations, so it was VERY smart of you to book directly with Best Western. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night (we wished for more). Very quaint, clean, pool area small but well maintained, fourth floor balcony had beautiful views. Our room had a partial view (that was fantastic) a hot tub and was very nicely decorated and clean. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, they even let us check in and use the pool before our room was ready. The beach is literally across the street and the hotel has beach equipment you can use (loved this). The breakfast was fresh and had something for everyone. The only downside (no fault of the hotels) is the streets surrounding the hotel are VERY noisy, even late into the night. I would definatley stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you, Stacy, for your wonderful review. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Best Western in Laguna Beach is an excellent hotel. You can't be the location, it really it is in the middle of everything! My room had a lovely balcony and even better; a hot tub in the room! I would absolutely stay here again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you, Adam, for taking time from your busy schedule to let us know of your experience while staying with us. It sounds like it fit your needs EXACTLY. Please hurry back soon!!!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My first California beach experience occurred in Laguna Beach 16 years ago when we took our family to Disneyland and stayed in Anaheim. During that trip we had taken a bus tour to the OC beach area and the tour guide suggested that we spend our day in Laguna beach. We loved it and have since travelled several times a year to California, staying in either the Hollywood, Redondo Beach, or, if cruising, Long Beach. This trip I wanted to go back and stay in Laguna Beach even though it is 55 miles from the city of Los Angeles which was the focal point of our trip.
I booked the Best Western primarily because I had enough loyalty points to redeem 300.00 worth of BW travel cards. I also loved the quoted price of $125.00 per night for a king room that was "99 steps" from the beach.
As mentioned, I had booked the room several months before the trip. I receive regular e-mails from BW, and on one occasion after booking I decided to check the room rate to see if there was any change from the rate that I had booked. There was. It was a misplaced decimal mistake in the quote which took the room rate down to a ridiculously low amount. I decided to try booking it at the rate, knowing that the rate was erroneous. The booking was successful. As the date for the trip neared, I called the hotel directly to see if they would honor the rate. They indicated that they would, and in the end, they did. So, if you ever wondered if a hotel would honor an incorrectly entered hotel rate on their site, in this case, the hotel did honor it.
We were accommodated in a king room with a Jacuzzi, and if I had paid full price for the room I would have requested a room with a balcony and a bit of a view. Our room was in semi basement and had a door that opened to a sort of sunken balcony with a view of the plants beside the sidewalk. I figured this was fair game if they were going to honor the room rate. The room itself had a king bed, the 2 person Jacuzzi, a sofa, flat screen tv, a shower that had good pressure, a bar fridge, and a coffee maker. There was free wifi and I had no difficulty connecting. The room was cleaned daily, although generally it was cleaned later in the day, around 3:00 pm. The breakfast is offered from 7:30-10:30 and is one of the better freebie breakfasts that I have had. There were scrambled eggs mixed with ham, sausages, and potatoes along with 2 waffle makers and the usual other continental and cereal offerings. The breakfast room is on the 3rd floor, where the hotel pool is. The pool looked OK, I did not use it. The hot tub was down for repairs. There are lounge chairs and umbrella tables in this area. Up a flight of stairs on the 4th level are more chairs and tables and this area provides a view of the ocean. The hotel is not directly on the beach, rather it is across the street. It is however, not much more that the 99 steps as indicated on the hotel website. The beach was beautiful and we enjoyed our time on it.

For $125.00 per night, the original posted rate, I don't think you could go wrong. Hotels backing directly onto the beach run from $250.00 - over $500.00 per night. There is no charge for parking.
Additionally, the hotel is within walking distance to all kinds of restaurants, cafe's, boutiques and art galleries/stores.
All in all we enjoyed our stay I would return to this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you want a view, ask for a room with a balcony and chairs. If you want quiet, ask for a room tha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
dsg92651, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of our beautiful Laguna Beach hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay! And thank you, too, for being a loyal Best Western Rewards member!!!
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Check in was very quick and efficent, easy parking which is plus in Laguna Beach. Room was clean and ready on time.

THe only downside was that the air conditioning placement behind the desk caused it to cycle on and off all night. Little noisy.

Tub held two very nicely

Room Tip: ROoms off the PCH defintly more quite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, Ken! Aren't those in-room whirlpool spa wonderful? And the complimenatry parking space can really save you money from so many of the hotels that will charge a mandatory $30-40-50 per night. We hope to see you again soon!
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The website says: “Our richly appointed, newly decorated and fully air-conditioned guestrooms abound with the lavish conveniences and luxurious comforts designed to ensure your visit to Laguna Beach is a memorable one. Relax in your own in-room, king-sized whirlpool spa for two…” and under Guestroom Amenities it lists: “Private, over-sized whirlpool spas”, so my wife and I were looking forward to doing exactly that – relaxing in our in-room spa. Well, there was none; just a typical tiny cramped regular bath/shower. When we questioned the staff, they said they didn’t know where we got the idea from that the room would have its own spa, even though the person we talked to on the phone before making the booking re-iterated that the rooms had a spa tub, and the website went overboard with lengthy descriptions, etc etc.
On top of that disappointment the hotel – which calls itself “Las Brisas SPA Hotel” had a sign on the front desk that their outdoor spa was out of service indefinitely for “resurfacing” (even though the cordoned-off spa had water in, working lights, and from a distance the surface of the spa looked fine). The website mentioned nothing of this, so our disappointment over not having a spa in the room was doubled, as there was no spa available to us at all.
When we communicated our disappointment to the front desk staff their attitude was simple – take it or leave it, we are fully booked and sold out and the room we had been assigned was the only one they had. On top of that, we had two bikes on a carrier on our car, and we inquired to see if we could store them somewhere, but the staff were unhelpful with that request too, other than a suggestion that we store them on the balcony in our room, which seemed reasonable, except, when we got into our room, there was no balcony!
Once we realized we would have to “take it” we buckled down and got on with making the best of things. The room was of adequate size, the large bed was a plus. The air conditioner was noisy but at least it blocked the traffic noise from the Pacific Coast Hiway, which our room overlooked, despite requesting a room in the back of the facility as advised by several fellow Trip Advisor reviewers.
The breakfast was better than expected, with hot eggs etc. The “Sunset Deck” was spacious and we were able to watch the sun set, aided by a glass of champagne, and the views of the Pacific Ocean. In the morning we took a short walk along the beach – this place is in a good location for that.

Room Tip: Be sure you know what you will get before signing up - the hype on the website did not apply to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
dsg92651, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry to hear of your experience at our beautiful property. Thank you for your suggestion to ask specifics about your accommodations when making a reservation as we have quite a variety or shapes, sizes and amenities available. We do have a very few rooms which do not have the in room whirlpool spa which may have been what was reserved in your case. Additionally, some rooms do have patios or balconies while others do not....

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!