“Cramped in Style” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
WestyFrench
“Cramped in Style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

If the purpose of your stay is to sleep in and rest, and spend your time in the bathroom, this is the place for you. The bed is sink-your-body-in comfortable, and the enormous spa built for two is a lovely place to soak. Above average continental breakfast. However, if you like bright and sunny rooms, do not stay here. We stayed in the deluxe room--for 8 nights--and although it felt private with a separate staircase (not recommended with a baby and 15 steps with no elevator to top floors), there is only one small window. Great for privacy and darkness, I suppose, but not conducive to a spacious sea-side experience. The rooms are incredibly small (but with a good sized bathroom). You'd never know the ocean is 99 steps away with barely any way to see it. The parking is free, though, and the location is good--but avoid the stinky garage!

• Liked — Spa tub and free parking
  • Disliked — too small
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

Last sunday I booked a night at the Best Western Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel. I was in town for a family emergency. Upon my arrival, I accidently locked my keys in the car before I checked in. The Front Desk Agent Nancy was absolutely wonderful. She callled the locksmith, guided him to the hotel with directions, fixed me a cup of coffee and totally comforted me in my time of need. I felt like I have made a wonderful friend. What's more, she told me she would give me a free upgrade because of my ordeal upon arrival.

The room was beautiful, the breakfast was excellent. The guest services were exceptional thanks to Nancy. I had a very nice time, despite my emergency.

• Liked — Nancy
  • Disliked — My locked keys
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

This hotel was not up to our expectations. No restaurant, the lobby was small and not easy to navigate, the front desk staff were unfriendly and uninformative at check in. During our 4 day stay, the staff never smiled, made eye contact. First morning, the continental breakfast was not "open" at 7:30 as promised. When it did open, it was ridiculous. Milk and juices left sitting on a counter in pitchers getting warm, hot pocket sandwichnes, muffins that were still frozen and cereal that would not come out of the containers. Very poor. Hotel info in room said there would be a paper on our doorstep each morning. When not there and I went to the front desk, they said "we used to do that". All staff at front desk that I encountered did not understand English and could not give me directions or other info. Room was so small, ridiculous. Wall mounted TV was good, but furniture placement was strange and there was no closet to hang clothes or store suitcase. Ironing board was propped against a corner. Vanity in bathroom was too small to accommodate any toiletries. Spa bathrub in room was too big for small space and very hard to get in and out. Room was so very noisy and very loud with street traffic, beeping trash trucks at 5 am, sirens, etc. Never could find the soda or ice machines. They advertise 99 steps to the beach but fail to say that you have to try and cross a very busy street. More like 99 steps to a stop light where you might be able to cross the street. Asked for a wake up call which never came. Will never stay there again.

• Liked — wall mounted tv
  • Disliked — too small for the price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Owensboro, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

Stayed here for two nights in October. The staff was incredible. The hotel was very clean and very well taken care of. If you want a very relaxing experience, ask for a room on the fourth floor, preferably room 420 or 424. You will not be disappointed. If you call the hotel directly, ask for Nancy. She was a great help. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

We decided to get away for one night. This hotel was an awesome choice. I called ahead to make sure we didn't get a ground floor room. I read some reviews about the traffic on PCH and didn't want to deal with that. They nice lady on the phone, Nancy, preassigned us room 431. It is in the back, but you can still see the ocean from the deck. The bed in that room is the most comfortable one I have ever slept on in a hotel. The flat panel TV was awesome. The tub was also AMAZING. It was not difficult to get in an out of at all! The only thing I didn't like about the room was that the shower head was positioned for someone very short. I am 5'4 and had to bend down to wash my hair. We slept great though the night, no noise at all. The beach is across PCH but it's worth the walk. The only thing that I did not enjoy was the breakfast! I got food poisioning from yogurt. :(

Stayed November 2007
Orem, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

WHAT PLEASED US:
We have 3 primary criteria when we travel: cleanliness, location and price. The Laguna Brisas met all of them.

WHAT DISAPPOINTED US:
Not all rooms are equal despite equal rates.
No laundry facilities.

THE LONG VERSION:
The first thing I will say is that there are no laundry facilities at this hotel. That threw us off because we generally pack light and run a load or 2 of laundry when we travel.

The location of the hotel is fantastic for the price. 99 steps to the beach is a good estimate if you take long strides. It's across the street and down a paved ramp. Note that it's not the main beach in Laguna, but a smaller private beach used by the few hotels nearby and some private residences. Personally, I preferred it to the main beach. Less crowded, no riff-raff and still the same ocean and sand.

There is a place where you can walk through a hole in the cliff (you'll see it when you get to the private beach) to a bunch of tide pools with fish, crabs and anemones when the tide is low. My kids had a blast there, but bring some kind of shoes because the rocks are not fun on your feet.

There really is no reason to stay near the main beach, and very few options to do so anyway. Restaurants are spread everywhere up and down the PCH, most things are in walking distance and when driving is necessary, it's not too bad, though I would guess that in peak season it can be a pain.

Other than that, the hotel was OK. The service was good. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and had clearly been fully refurbished recently and the price was reasonable. On the downside, the beds were hard, the rooms have little storage space, the breakfast is lackluster and, as I said, there is no laundry. I would be willing to stay there again with a few conditions:

1) If we could get a room on the 4th floor or an exterior 3rd floor room. Not all rooms are created equal here even though they charge the same rate for most. Our room was on the 3rd floor but was an interior room which means our window looked out into the corridor rather than the street. All of the exterior 3rd floor rooms had decks overlooking the PCH which is loud, as others have said, but we found it quite entertaining to sit on the terrace and watch the traffic go by. There are alot of expensive cars and interesting people that drive through Laguna. I can't say whether it's too loud to sleep in those rooms, but we didn't have any problems. I also noticed that most of the other rooms had the spa tub in the living area (as shown in the pictures) whereas ours was in the bathroom. It didn't really matter to us, but if you are looking for a romantic retreat, our room would have been a poor choice. I would avoid the 1st and 2nd floors.

NOTE: Not all the rooms have 2 beds and I suspect that the ones that do are, like ours, the more cramped variety. I noticed, however, that some of the rooms had a sofa bed which would have been fine for our kids and would have given us a better view. Room 315 looked particularly appealing as it was on the southern corner of the building and had a nice deck and lots of space inside. I am willing to bet that, because we booked through Expedia, we were automatically assigned to a less desirable room. We didn't really notice the difference in rooms until we were already unpacked, or we might have requested a move, but I don't know if it would have been honored. The moral is, try booking direct and see if you are treated better. I think the rates are the same.

2) If it wasn't a long trip (i.e. more than 4-5 nights). The lack of laundry facilities was a pain, but we can pack enough for a short trip. FYI, there is a laundromat about 5 blocks north on the same side of the street.

3) If we couldn't get a room at the Surf n' Sand which was across the street, right on the beach and looked fabulous. It's probably pricey too, but it might be worth it. There are a few other alternative hotels that I might try before returning to the Laguna Brisas.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

Laguna Beach is a wonderful place and it is hard to go wrong. There are other hotels directly opposite and around which would offer a more luxurious experience and a better veiw but not in this price range.

The hotel was reasonably expensive, considering its a Best Western but this was August so its what you expect. The room was very spacious, though the traffic noise from the PCH was loud but not too disturbing. The breakfast was good and was served in the lovely roof patio area. I really liked the pool and the sunbathing area it was peaceful and relaxed and you could see over to the ocean.

Was it 99 steps to the beach?? I think it was about that but over a very busy highway! The nearest stretch of beach though is very nice. Plus its a nice stroll to the Village in the evening, around a mile but easily walkable when its not too hot

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Laguna Brisas Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!