“Is this a hotel?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Florence, Italy
“Is this a hotel?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I cannot understand the positive reviews, the pictures of this hotel are far away from the reality, I had a room where I could barely open my luggage (I had to open it on the floor) and walk around it as no other space was left, the sink was in the bedroom, the bathroom was the smallest ever seen, breakfast was horrible, served in a small sad room underground offering a very low quality food and beverage selection.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place is difficult to put into words. It's old, which could be charming, but wasn't. The walls are so thin you can hear EVERYTHING happening in other rooms/hallway, etc, as if the people were right next to you. Our room, a king non-view room, was recommended by the reservations clerk because it was larger and some people think their queen rooms are too small. It was big enough, especially since there was not much furniture in the room, but by "non-view" they mean "you can't see out the windows at all because they're completely obscured by shrubs". The lack of natural light and dim lighting in the room made everything dark and somehow depressing. The windows themselves were old and a real struggle to get closed and locked, and the hallway door to the street didn't automatically close and lock, which gave us some safety concerns.

The bathroom was nice, but tiny -- seriously, it would be a tight squeeze for any large folks -- there wasn't even room for a box of tissues in the bathroom itself. Really.

We left a day early just to get the heck out of there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I'm sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction in the Deluxe King guest room which was recommended to you. These are indeed our largest guest rooms, and the majority of our frequent guests enjoy this room type very much, which is why it was recommended to you. There was obviously a disconnect on our part; I apologize that we misjudged what was important to you regarding what you needed most during your stay.
You are quite accurate in your description of the view from this room; when we labeled this room type as a "non-view" room, we truly mean there is not a view from the windows in this room.
I had our engineering supervisor check the street access door on the first floor, and we found that it does indeed close and lock as it is programmed to do. We do keep it propped open during the day for easy beach access for our guests, and at dusk we close and lock the door. We have occasionally found that a guest will prop it open, but we do our best to keep it closed during the night hours. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your candid comments are appreciated, and we wish you happy travels!
Warm Regards,
Charlotte, Guest Service Manager
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

What a wonderful experience at this fantastic hotel! From the moment I arrived I felt like I was in Europe. Everything about our stay was excellent, and I cannot recommend this property enough. Our partial-view room was stunning, with an absolutely gorgeous view of the ocean, the PCH, and the courtyard cafe. The room was beautiful--quiet, peaceful and sexy. The breakfast was excellent, and dining on the roof with endless ocean views is the best way to go. The Rooftop Lounge is happening, and it was a great place to spend a Saturday evening. I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat! Yes please!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to know you loved your stay in our charming property, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We was traveling to CA on our happy Christmas hollidays as a familly with 2 kids and from Jan. 1 we decided to stay at La Casa del Camino's La Casita... . turned up like a ... difficult to even describe! You can judge yourself...
the appartament was cold, old very well used soffas( even dirty) TV on the dining room's wal was kind of first flat screans TV ever produced and works only for 20 min then you have to svich off for 10 min to cool down and then you can use onother 20 min. the shower on the bathroom out of order, dirty corners and paper thin walls ... we was not able to put our kids to sleap because they was just sceard from the multiply noises outside... so the breaking point of all this was after i ask at front desk if they have a swiming pool? The lady was kind and nice and told me sorry, but behind her there was a guy from the staff who quickly offer me ,, the bigest swiming pool in the world just down to the ocean..." Jan. 1 after 5.pm when outside is around 45F? thank you for hospitallity!
But there was a good thing too - they let as cansell our stay for rest of the time and made me to loose only 299 per night what we even not spend there.
i jumped in my car and in 30 min i picked up my family for onother hottel the very same evening and payed extra 119 !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Norway_13,
I am so sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your stay in La Casita. In researching your stay, our records show we only charged you for the one night that you stayed. The only reason we were given for your early check-out was that your children wanted a swimming pool, and we unfortunately do not have a pool on our property. We sincerely apologize for the negative impression you were left with as you checked out after your first night.

We are reviewing your list of feedback with our housekeeping manager and maintenance engineer, and will have a resolution for these items within the week.

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Laguna Beach.
Charlotte, Guest Services
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just returned from a 1 night stay at La Casa del Camino for my birthday getaway. This hotel has character which was very much appreciated. The location is fabulous, right in the middle of town and next to the water. Parking is easy in a lot across the street. We had a non view room and although it was small, it was very comfortable. The decor was beautiful with carved wood furniture and romantic touches. We dined at the K'ya Bistro in the hotel which as usual was a great experience. The rooftop is an amazing bonus and in the morning we took our yummy complimentary hot breakfast there to enjoy the sweeping ocean views. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating; We enjoyed our interactions with the front desk and Veronica, who was working in the breakfast room, went out of her way to bring us a plate of fruit we had been waiting for- all the way up to the rooftop! We really liked the historic feeling of the hotel and how easy it was to walk outside and be next to the ocean. We definitely will stay there again when we come back to Laguna!

Room Tip: The front desk informed us King sized rooms on the 1st floor are spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been traveling to CA on business once a month for the last year. About six months ago, I found La Casa del Camino on Priceline and read the reviews. What surprised me was the number of review that focused on the Staff. To my fortune, the reviews were spot-on. I've had the honor and privilege to get to know the staff. They make me feel like family and consistently go out of there way to make me feel at home. Top shelf.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and loyalty to La Casa del Camino! We look forward to your next visit, and hope you have a very happy holiday season :)
Warm Regards,
The management and staff at La Casa del Camino
Mission Viejo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I had a series of travel mishaps. The entire staff helped us out at one point during our stay. Thank you Norma at the Front Desk  your help was much appreciated. Also thank you to the house man and housekeeping. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The restaurant is my favorite… Authentic Spanish food with a great wine selection. Five Stars *****

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Casa del Camino? Share your experiences!