“Million dollar view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Moro Campsite

Upper Moro Campsite
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laguna Beach
Upper Moro Campsite
You added Upper Moro Campsite to your Saves list
Crystal Cove State Park, Pacific Coast Highway between Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach, Laguna Beach, CA   |
San Francisco, California
“Million dollar view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My family and I camped here recently and had a great time. My husband and I were visiting my parents and wanted to do something different one night, so we lucked out and got a spot in the Sage Loop of the campground. We invited a few more local friends, BBQed some chicken, marinated veggies, and home-made tamales on our little gas grill, watched the sun set, and sipped Pacifico and Corona in our little folding chairs. There are no open fires allowed, and for good reason- the place is extremely dry. Lucky for us, a windy day had swept away the marine layer that often times blocks stars, so we had a pretty clear (for Orange County) sky. The wind typically dies down around 7, and it stayed warm enough to keep our rain fly off and fall asleep to star-gazing and hearing the waves crashing (between traffic noise on PCH, the only downside to the site but unavoidable of course). One other down side, but also pretty unavoidable in this climate, is that there is absolutely no shade. We camped with our eight-month-old son, so this would have been a problem if we wanted to stay more than one night/ spend any daytime hours at the campground. There are partially-covered picnic tables down the hill, but I'd imagine on a hot day, that would still be too hot for a baby, and a baby can only handle so much beach time. The campground is only a couple of years old, so I hope over time some of the plants grow taller to provide some shade for families that don't travel in campers or drag around big canopies. Overall I think it's way better than the typical parking-lot camping at most beaches, from what I understand. We had a gravel campsite surrounded by indigenous shrubs, and spaced far enough away from our neighbors to have a little privacy. The whole place has lit pathways. The bathrooms are new and clean. We walked down to the beach in the early morning and watched the surf- the beach is clean and the water is crystal clear. No wonder they call it Crystal Cove! Then we drove North up PCH a little ways and had a nice breakfast at the Beach Comber Cafe. A great option if you don't want to pack stuff for breakfast. All in all we loved it and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All campsites are set on a terraced hill, so every single one has an ocean view. It's impossibl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This campground is one of the newest to the state system and it has the most amazing views of any campground I've ever seen. They tiered the campground so that every site has full views of the ocean. We were in site 23 which has electrical and water and there is a dump station on site. The sites are huge and the bathrooms are new and clean. The only real cons are the strict 3 pm check in (no matter if someone's in your site or not) and the weeds in the campsite. The cost is $75 per night!!! So for that I would expect to have NO weeds all over my campsite.

The beach access is great and you have full parking priviledges at all of the Crystal Cove State Beach parking lots. Overall it's a great place to stay with the beach, hiking and amazing views. Just save your pennies!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Upper Moro Campsite? Share your experiences!