“What a dissapointment I would never stay here again.” 1 of 5 stars

Announcement
BIRTHDAY SPECIAL
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Bozeman, MT
“What a dissapointment I would never stay here again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

After reading the reviews I thought we were in for a great stay in a great town. We are from rural Montana and are used to roughing it, but wanted something nice for our annaversary get away.

The Tides is a noisy below average road side motel. The highway kept us up all night and when we did fall asleep an emergency vehicle would pass by with sirens howlin.

We expected to be on the ocean, but were not. We expected a view but had none. We expect a great experience but had a great let down.

We did check out other options, and there are many but all were sold out so we could not move. I suggest you look elsewhere is you want to realy enjoy Laguna because the Tides was the only low point in our vacation.

Kim

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Florence, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

What The Tides Inn lacks in opulence, it way more than makes up for in unique character, friendliness, charm and value. We are a family of 4 (two kids--7 and 4) and we went with two other families. Here's what we liked:

Location: It's directly across from a lovely beach with a gorgeous walkway that gives spectacular views of the ocean. It's within short walking distance to all the downtown shopping. Restaurants and a supermarket are also within walking distance. Parking at the hotel was free.

The Pool Area: It has a nice, clean pool that the kids loved. There is a nice bar (you BYOB) with a very large stainless grill. Another feature we really enjoyed was a lovely fireplace stocked with plenty of wood and a beautiful sitting area with large outdoor couches, and an oversized coffee table that provided a perfect large conversation area for folks to congregate. We met other nice folks staying at the hotel and had a grand time. Best of all, many of the hotel rooms are facing the pool area allowing us (the adults) to socialize and visit and keep and eye on our hotel room while the kids slept.

The Rooms: while not fancy, every room is different and has it's own charm and were all comfortable and clean. We had a kitchenette (which was great), another family with us had a fireplace, and the third had neither, but all three had their own layout and decor.

The Staff: The folks who run this are first class. They are some of the kindest, most laid back , and "down to earth" folks I've encountered. You deal directly with the owners and their business partners. They have great suggestions and are very accomodating. In a pinch, they even lent me a tie when I forgot mine and didn't realize it until 30 minutes before I was supposed attend a wedding ceremony.

I reccommend Thd Tides Inn without hesitation. If we ever return to Laguna Beach, we will absolutely return to The Tides Inn.

Othere recommendations: For breakfast, check out The Penguin Cafe (on Pacific Coast Drive). For lunch & supper & great beer, check out BJ's. From entrees to pizza, they rock.

Stayed September 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

Our group of friends stayed again this year in August. The rooms were very clean, quiet and comfortable and the staff was, as ever, hospitable. The location is perfect, the rates are very good.........the newly refurbished patio and bbq area and pool is terrific!

This is not a place for people who are looking for a five star resort....but it is a cosy, intimate and friendly place without pretension. If you are looking for a simple and homey place to stay in the middle of Laguna, within walking distance to many attractions, I highly recommend it!

• Liked — the atmosphere
  • Disliked — lack of good bathroom ventilation system
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
denver,colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I just came back from Cali w/my daughter. We spent alot of time in San Diego, but wanted to stay up in Laguna Beach for a couple nights. We had reservations at "The Tides Inn". Needless to say we only stayed 1 night!!! We heard traffic (even w/new windows) most of the time, since our room was 6 feet from the highway! My daughter complained about the people upstairs, you could hear everything(paper thin walls). I was disappointed in the room. I sure didn't get one of the rooms that was pictured. It was not comfortable to watch TV in the livingroom area, you had to sit on a daybed and crank you head to the right and watch a 12" TV ! There was one TV in the bedroom that was o.k. I read some good reviews here and thought I would take a chance, but I would NOT go back there again!! Also, the parking was very little and tight!!!!

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

We made our reservation based on Trip Advisor reviews. Things to appreciate include the cleanliness, the décor - it is a motel but tastefully decorated, and the pool area which has a beautiful sitting area with fireplace. Things your might want to consider? For us the bathroom is important; the showerhead height was too low, even for my 5’4” frame and the bathtub should be replaced or resurfaced. We were located in Room #102; if you are a light sleeper this is not the room for you - we live in a city neighborhood on a main road and the traffic noise was noticed, however, most other rooms were located away from the road and probably do not have so much of a noise issue. The Tides Inn is great for a short term stay – the location is North PCH so the Main beach is a walk – okay for adults (as what seemed to be the profile of the other guests) but a bit of a hike if you have a family and all the beach accoutrements that need to be transported.

TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed one night at the Tides Inn due to all of the positive reviews here on tripadvisor.com. On the outside, the place looks just like any other roadside motel. The beauty was in the rooms. We had the least expensive room of them all, we paid $99/night. The room was small, it had a queen sized bed, a small table nightstand, a wooden bench, a small telephone table, and the tv sat in the closet. The room was nicely decorated. The bed had a nice down comfortable and it was very comfortable. The room was very clean. The bathroom had a shower stall, no tub.

The manager was friendly and helpful. It seemed we bothered her every few minutes either needing help with recommendations or needing a hairdryer.

Parking is tight. You are ok with a mid-sized car or smaller, but SUVs will be tough getting in and out.

The pool area was nice. It looks just like somebody's backyard with a grill, a mini-fridge, a bar counter with bar stools. There were nice lawn benches. The pool itself was suppose to be a salt water pool (?) but there was nothing special about it.

Overall, I would stay here again due to the affordability, cleaniness, friendly staff, and cute rooms.

• Stayed June 2006
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

For the third time my wife and I had the most pleasant stay while in Laguna Beach, Calif. which is our favorite destination in California. The rooms are very comfortable and extremely clean. The new salt water pool and surrounding area is beautiful. The managament staff, Kathy, Linda and Dale are truly the kindest people on earth and strive to do everything possilble to make you stay pleasant. For the money, if you don't like the tides and don't love Laguna then there must be something wrong. Eat breakfast at Madison or have a wonderful breakfast brunch at Los Brisas only two blocks away towards downtown. The Tides has become our home away from home and I must admit I feel more at home than I do our beautiful estate in Colorado. Give the Tides a try and I assure you it will not disappoint. The beaches close by are some of the most beautiful on earth!

Jim and Bonnie Sanderson

Castle Rock, Colorado

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!