“Wonderful stay in Laguna Beach” 5 of 5 stars

BOOK DIRECT & SAVE
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Menifee, California
“Wonderful stay in Laguna Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here for two nights at the end of October and loved it. This an older property (built in the forties) that has been completely refurbished with each room individually redecorated. This is not your typical chain motel. We had a room with a king size bed on the second floor. The room had wood floors, flat screen tv, comfortable bedding and a comfortable chair to relax in. We had a small refrigerator and a keurig coffee maker with an assortment of k cups to select from. The bathroom had a shower only, which was fine with us. Two wing glasses and wine opener were provided. The decor was soft beach colors with beach accents. Perfect! The parking is tight-21 spaces for 21 rooms. The outside pool area is great. Outside fireplace that was lit every night, large BBQ that can be used by all guest and a salt water pool. The managers and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Be aware that this is a small boutique hotel, not a large luxurious resort. It is right on Pacific Coast Highway so there will be a couple of rooms that get traffic noise. The managers will tell you if they are noisey so take that into consideration before you book. Also this is an older property, though beautifully remodeled. If you want a new chain type feel go elsewhere. However if you want a comfortable reasonably priced room with a wonderful staff I highly recommend the Tides. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2013
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
We thank you for all your positive feedback, for taking the time to write a review and for appreciating all of our efforts. We look forward to a return visit.
Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

So we read all the reviews and they were all fabulous, I wish I could say the same but I really wasn't that impressed. I'm not hard to please when it comes to hotels, there are a few key things that I look for, cleanliness is number one on my list, and I felt that The Tides was not really up to standards. I have stayed in hostels and $20 hotels in Mexico, as well as expensive ones so I have seen it all. The room was cute and I liked the little touches of decorations and Marlyn Monroe everywhere, but I found it a little dirty. The blinds in the bathroom were covered in dust and fuzz, the screen when you opened the window was also chock full of dust and dirt. The kitchen cupboards looked like the hadn't been wiped down for ever, they had dried bits of food and sauce on them. The bed didn't fit in the frame, and you could see the slats holding up the bed and they were covered in hair and dirt and dust, yuck. the worst part about it was it smelt like pee in the room, we were there for 5 days and had the windows open the whole time and the smell just wouldn't go away. My husband didn't think the smell was so bad, but he also wouldn't get down on the wool carpet to stretch because it was smelly and dirty.
The other thing I always look for in a hotel is a gym, they didn't have one, but I overlooked it because of the good reviews.
The bathroom was so tiny there could not be more than one person in there at once, and especially the shower. I love my baths and needed one because it was freezing there but there was no bath.
The location was good but I wish I would have been staying on the south side of the PCH rather than the north, as all the action is at the south end, and we ended up walking miles everyday to get where we wanted to be.
The good points, the staff was really nice and friendly, and had really good suggestions for restaurants.
They had a nice looking pool, with a ton of toys for it. It was cloudy and freezing when we were there so we never actually enjoyed it.
The had free WiFi.
The highway is really close, And though I am a light sleeper it really didn't bother me. They also give you earplugs on your bedside table, with a cute little note, if it should bother you. The bed squeaked really bad which actually woke me up more than the highway.
When we phoned to book the hotel they misquoted us the same price for the weekend as the weekdays, and I guess the price goes up for the weekend, but they charged us the cheaper price for all five days because they had misquoted us, which was really nice of them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Well, we liked the last part of your letter and are always grateful for reviews of all kinds. That is exactly what keeps us in shape and we thank you for your scrutiny. So, we have cleaned and cleaned. The rug has been cleaned. We do not have a gym but there are several close by. We wish you had mentioned the problems to us at the time rather than let 5 days go by.
We think you will be happy at Casa Laguna or La Casa del Camino at the northern end of town.
Many thanks for taking the time to write.
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great location, friendly and attentive owners and on-site management team, lovely property.
Rooms looked even better to us when we saw them than the photos indicated on their website. Across the street from beautiful Heisler Park, a nice place to wander and enjoy a sunset. We did the right thing selecting the Tides, and are thankful we did.

Room Tip: Room 207 left nothing to be desired.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying at The Tides.
We appreciate your review and our location. Hope to see you soon again.
Don't forget our birthday special.
Port Orange, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I spent one night here on our SoCal five-day road trip. It's a modest hotel, nothing fancy, but clean and well maintained inside and out (nice pool area). It's located directly on PCH within walking distance to the beach (the restaurants are a bit further south, a fair hike by foot). We stayed in room 205 and paid $133.28 (all taxes included). It's not a large room and the bathroom is a quite small. It does have a small room before you enter the bathroom where there is a vanity area and small frig and a place to hang clothes. They do supply earplugs and without the air conditioner on, you would definitely need them! Also, the walls are very thin - we got an X-rated ear-full from the couple next door. I've read all of the reviews and agree with most of what has been written - however, I wouldn't say it's FABULOUS as many others have written. Comparing this to the other 4 places I stayed on our journey, I would give it a healthy, solid 3+.

Room Tip: Ask management as they are very helpful with your wishes.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy with a solid 3+.
Thanks,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Tides Inn has a great location and I enjoyed my stay. It was my first time there and the staff was great; although the hotel itself is not flashy. It is situated right on PCH between Crystal Cove and the main Laguna Beach area so it is central to a lot of things. They have a nice pool area set up to have your own BBQ with friends or just relax on a floatie. They also have an outdoor fireplace area that is pretty cool. I enjoyed my stay there and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist that you want to be as far away from PCH as possible to limit noise . My reser...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
We very much appreciate your taking the time to review The Tides. It is a great place for a single visitor as well as a family. We have some darling small rooms and yes, our location is fabulous. Parking for free and being able to walk all over town are wonderful perks.
Please return soon--winters are also quite gorgeous.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We couldn't have been treated more warmly or courteously. No wonder this modest motel gets such high ratings from guests! We chose the Tides Inn because our daughter was getting married in Laguna Beach at Heisler Park across the street. The Tides management bent over backward to accommodate our requests and make our stay hassle-free. My husband says, "It was like staying with family -- the kind of family we all wish we had."

Room Tip: The Tides Inn website gives photos of each unique room; very helpful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We feel like we have the nicest and most courteous guests. We all thank you for the nice comments. Wedding and reunions are our favorite groups. Hoping to see you visit more often and most of all for the "anniversaries-to-be."
Edwardsville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a great place to stay in Laguna. Convient to everything. Beach is a block away, shops down the street, trolley stop right outside the Inn. I stayed at The Tides with my two kids and Fred and Denise made us feel like family. We arrived after the office closed, well Fred put our room key under our mat in case we were really late arrivals. The second day they upgraded us to the 1 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen. Very spacious and comfortable. With the kids we just went to the market and picked up dinner and ate in our "apartment". We enjoyed the fireplace that evening too. . We really wanted to take advantage of the barbeque but since we were only there for the 2 nights we didn't want leftovers.
The pool was a little chilly but that didn't stop my kids. They liked the water fountains in the pool. The beach was a nice 5 min walk. They even had beach chairs and toys for your day at the beach. This was a nice start to our week in So. Ca and our 4 days at Disneyland. We will definitely stay here again !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the wonderful Tides review. You didn't miss a thing! We are so glad you enjoyed every minute. It is great to have a kitchenette, especially with children.
Please return soon. There is always so much to do and see in this town. Very much like paradise.
Linda

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!