“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clatskanie, OR
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

My sister and I took our girls for Spring Break. What a great little motel. It was so clean and the owner is wonderful. I found myself hanging out on our front porch or at the pool, instead of going to the beach. It was great. We will definately be going back. It was a very short walk to the main heart of Laguna. We walked everywhere, uptown a couple of blocks was a Starbucks, Gina's Pizzeria and a grocery store and downtown was shopping, dining, beach, etc. Great location.

• Liked — The whole atmosphere.
  • Disliked — No coffee pot.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
waterford,mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I didn't book anywhere in Laguna beach because of the reviews on all of them were up and down. So I figured I'd just stop somewhere. Well it was here. I never noticed any road noise, and we were in room 107. Rooms are very small,parking is very small. The rooms were cute, and very clean. The grounds were also clean. Staff seemed nice. I'm not real fussy though. Price was cheaper in person than what I found on any travel website. $119.00 for a double room. Wifi didn't really work, but I did find a neighbor of the hotel that had an unsecured signal. That worked fine.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sourh pasadena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

I read the reviews noting the traffic noise from Coast Highway, and when making our reservation I asked to be as far away from the highway as possible, and Linda the owner, assured me in room 105, we would be fine. We arrived, and we weren't expecting luxury digs, and at first glance when we checked in at 5pm, the room seemed fine. We were also travelling with our two dogs.

There was no bathtub in the bathroom, and I just wanted a relaxing soak. I'm flexible, but when I got out of the shower and used one of their towels, I almost screamed in pain as the towels were so threadbare and raw. I reminded myself that we were paying a very reasonable rate of $149 in a very expensive resort town, and air dryed.

The hubby and kids all settled in to go to sleep, and with the windows, and door closed, it felt like the Indy 500 was roaring through our room, and by this time it was 11pm, when traffic was dying down. Not only the Indy 500, but our neighbors were watching their tv, and it was rather loud. Three calls to recpetion finally seemed to get that problem solved, but beware the walls are very, very, thin. Alas, we got no sleep at all because of all the noise from our neighbors and highway. Perhaps an investment in double paned windows would be a wise investment for the owners.

Tried to use their "free wi-fi," what a joke. As previous reviewers noted, it was very slow, and sporadic. No wonder its free, it doesn't work!

We checked out first thing the next morning and went to another hotel in the area where we could get some sleep. For budget travellers, this could be a great deal in a very expensive resort town, if you bring earplugs, and your own towels. The owners were very nice and accommodating when we said we would be leaving early. If the owners spent a little more $$ to soundproof the place, we would most certainly come back.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — noise from neighbors and highway
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lifegoesbyfast, public relations manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
While we understand the basis of your complaint, it may have helped to have checked a map of Laguna Beach before checking in. Most of the businesses and hotels are located along Coast Highway, the main thoroughfare that runs through the town. It is true that a venue as close to the beach as we are can be a noisy place, as can any hotel on a busy street. May we suggest packing earplugs if you are a light sleeper when faced with a night in an unfamiliar place. Many residents who live near the highway use earplugs as needed. We get complimented frequently on the comfort of our bed linens and towels, the quality of the beds, the cleanliness of our rooms, and the obvious loving care that goes into the maintenance of our inn; all this for a price tiny in comparison to other, less charming lodging choices in Laguna Beach. Come back and visit us again - we maintain that The Tides Inn is still the best value for your lodging dollar in Laguna Beach.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at, The Tides Inn, Just before Christmas.
It is the most darling little place.
Just three and one half blocks from the down town area.
The rooms are all very cute. They have a cottage feel to them. My husband and I had a very nice room with a very comfortable king bed, down comfortor with a beautiful white duvet. The pillows were very nice too. I asked the manager Catherine where I could buy the same matress and pillows. She was very helpful in giving us the information.
Catherine, was the nicest person. She made you feel like you were family. She helped us with all of our barage of questions, where's a store, pharmacy, places for a good breakfast, dinner spots? She even took time to show us a city map and marked places of interest for us.
Our housekeeper Esther, was so nice. She was really wonderful at keeping our room looking spotless. She even ironed a shirt for my husband. Not many places like that anymore.
We think, The Tides Inn is a wonderful bargain.
Before we left Catherine showed us some of the other rooms. They were all darling. I notice that some reviews complain about noise. I did see the three rooms that were on the highway side and while inside I closed the door. It was not to bad at all. I say if you are a light sleeper ,just request a room off the highway and you will have no problem. We are thinking of getting a whole group together and staying at The Tides Inn. It is extremely well maintained insde and out , the price is excellent for Laguna Beach and the staff is very accomodating. All pluses!
We will be staying there many more times.
Thanks Tides for giving us a very pleasant experience.
Mary Ann and Chuck

• Liked — It was extremely clean and staff was very helpful.
  • Disliked — We stayed only two days, I wish it could have been longer.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

When our entire town was evacuated due to a wildfire, my parents and I and my cat stayed at the Tides. I was very pleased that they allowed me to keep my cat in the room. They also gave us a reduced rate because we were fire evacuees.

The manager, Cathryn, was very nice and understanding of our situation. Since we didn't know how long we would have to stay it was
a day by day reservation. She allowed us to stay in the same room for
all of the 5 nights that we were there.

Our room was really like a one-bedroom apartment with cute decorations. My parents had their own room and I slept on a day-bed in the kitchen area. The kitchen was equipped with a table and 4 chairs, microwave, coffee pot, toaster and refrigerator. It was also stocked with dishes.

The swimming pool was marvelous and clean. The pool area had comfortable chairs, couches, a BBQ and fireplace.

Our room was facing PCH, but the traffic sound was blocked by a cinderblock wall. It was a very quiet neighborhood across PCH from the beach.

The manager, Cathryn, and staff gave us a cheery and comfortable place to stay. We will visit again!! (But, not with the cat.)

Stayed October 2007
Aberdeen,Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We stayed in the Tides Inn for the final 5 days of our Nevada/Californian trip.

I have a very mixed review. On checking into our accommodation we were told that we would be staying in one room for 4 days and then moving to a second room for our final night. I was really dissapointed about this and felt that we should have been informed as we had booked the hotel directly with the owner by e.mail.

The room itself was very tastefully decorated with a separate bedroom and a small kitchen area. We had one of the rooms next to the Highway but were not bothered by the noise at all. The small pool looked inviting with some childrens toys available, although we did not use it as we love the beach. The hotel is a little walk from the shops but there is a free reqular shuttle bus service.

When we first went into the bedroom of our apartment there was a terrible smell of sweaty feet, initially I thought that the smell was in the carpet. On the morning of day 3, to my horror I realised that he terrible smell was coming from the sheet!!
We asked for this to be changed immediately and the terrible smell disappeared.
I do not think this would be intentional as the rooms were very clean, I think that it is more likely to be a house keeping error, but not very pleasant for us!!

All together this is a very pleasant place to stay for the price, the staff were very helpful with recommendations for restuarants and places to go etc.

Would I recommend it to my friends - definitely!

Laguna Beach is great place, stuffed with fantastic places to eat and interesting people to watch!!

• Liked — tastefully decorated - sweet!
  • Disliked — The sweaty sheet!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

The Tides Inn consists in a Lodge providing a familiar, friendly service to his guests.
The place itself is charming, with a very nice (and deep!) pool, free parking, and a basic breakfast (coffee + fruit) which is a plus on top of the kitchen every apartment is equipped with.
The Tides is on the way, coming from Laguna (3 mins walk) to the best beaches, better than the popular, central one.
Prices are reasonable, also in high season (I stayed on late August, when all the art exibitions are open) and the atmospheare is really pleasant.
Just a very important hint which must be mentioned: if you book in advance, be SURE you are not given an apartment - there is just a couple of them - on the Pacific Coast Highway: an excellent vacation can turn into a nightmare because of the noise.
In every other internal accomodation, I definetely recommend this place, which I believe is perfectly suitable to both families and couples, of any age.

Stayed August 2007

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!