“Excellent location, beautiful sunsets, comfortable accomodations” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   825 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Irvine
“Excellent location, beautiful sunsets, comfortable accomodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We had a magnificent stay at the Laguna Riviera. Just steps down to the west is the pacific ocean, complete with stunning sunsets. Walk north and you'll find yourself in charming downtown Laguna Beach. Venture anywhere around the hotel and you come upon unique shops, terrific restaurants, and opportunities to hear live music. Stay at the Laguna Riviera and you'll enjoy a great room connected to the outdoors and beautiful Laguna Beach. We enjoyed our stay so much that we'll be back in May.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

On very short notice, right before spring break, I call the Laguna Riviera and asked about accommodations. I was serviced immediately and I was given a room with a commanding view of the ocean. Very clean , modern amenities and a very delightful staff.
I will be returning to Laguna Riviera Beach Resort whenever I am able to get to Laguna Beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
San Diego CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I do not understand how this seaside oasis could get a bad review. My cousin flew in from St. Louis for a week and she asked me if we could spend most of our time at the ocean (I live in San Diego). So, I did much research to find the perfect place for us to spend a few days. I finally decided on the Riviera and I'm very glad I did. We just got back last night 3/25/09 and it was amazing! Our room was clean and perfect. We had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen which enabled us to cook and prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner. We parked the car and it stayed in the same spot until we left. Our deck over looked the ocean with stunning views up the coast. We practically lived on the deck watching the surfers, a sea lion or two and the pod of dolphins that came to visit and play in the waves. The private walk down to the beach was my favorite. Lush with tropical flowers, foliage, benches and a shower to rinse off. The grounds themselves are rich with plants and murals making this setting a true tropical paradise (look for the gecko and paint brush on the ground : ) The owner was friendly and the staff was accommodating. I agree the FREE parking and wi-fi were a great bonus. No more research is ever needed on my part. I've found "my little place" in Laguna Beach and do not need to stay anywhere else. Btw - we barely heard the construction, the ocean was way too loud : )

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I have stayed in several rooms at the Laguna Riviera over the years including 101, 201, 301, 305, 410, 508 and most recently 515. I was reading a previous review from a "CapeTownFriend" giving my personal favorite hotel a 2 rating for some knd of buzz sound. That review has prompted me to set the scene in the proper light and post my first review on Tripadvisor. Well, I'm sorry but the truth is that I stayed in the same room, 515 one week ago for 3 nights, Thursday, Friday & Saturday, while visiting Laguna for a birthday party. The room had just been newly renovated (nice), all new amenities, etc.. The only sound that I heard at night, except for the occasional guest returning from dinner was the ocean.
I found the staff to be very accomodating and the manager Mr. Pearson upon learning that I was going to a birthday party at Mozambique Saturday night, arranged for complimentary transportation to and from the club so I would not have to drive after partying with my friends. There was some work going on when I awoke Friday morning but having been forewarned it did not bother me and frankly was not invasive by any means. I paid $170 a night for an awesome clean room with brand new high quality furnishings, a large flat panel television, a private deck with fantastic ocean views, and even a microwave. In Laguna Beach that is a drop-dead bargain. I have stayed at the Surf and Sand and paid $400 a night for a similiar view and smaller deck. I have also stayed at the Holiday Inn with no view for $225 a night, The other addition is that the management does not ding you for parking and internet access. It's all free, as well as complimentary juice, coffee, pastries, cereal in the morning. Not so everywhere else I have stayed.
Having lived in Laguna in the past, I travel frequently to visit friends and the town. When I can, I stay at the Laguna Riviera and highly recommend it to my friends because it is a bargain in a great location. Unfortunately, I cannot not always get in because weekends sell out pretty quickly.
I hope these comments add some balance and let others know how this traveler feels about the Lagina Riviera and what a great property it truly is.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
U.S.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

I came despite the bad reviews. I asked Kort Pearson to send pictures, which he did, of the remodeled rooms. They are fine. The balcony was beautiful. The Wi-Fi was great, though a bit spotty at 4 AM (I will explain why I was up at that hour in a minute). The location is lovely. Here are the major downsides. First, when I checked in, the woman who checked me in delayed speaking to me for a couple of minutes because she was peering outside at the black man who was standing and waiting for the bus. Finally, as she checked me in, she told me she was suspicious about this person because he was loitering.

Second, in Room 515, and perhaps in the rest of the building, there is a humming sound that goes on at night, too fast even to be soothing, really quite loud, and certainly loud enough to keep you awake all night. Which was true for me. It does stop during the day, but I wasn't planning on sleeping during the day. Good thing too, as you will see. Third, and most disappointingly, I had asked Brendan at the front desk when I called to reserve whether there would be problems with renovation noise. He told me the room I was in was "away" from the renovation noise and that the construction wouldn't begin work until 9:00 AM. Both false. Away is a relative term, of course, but the whining power saws and repeated hammering begins at around 8 AM (which would be okay except you've been awake all night from the humming noise). And they are loud enough to wake you a couple of hours after you have finally gotten to sleep because the humming noise has finally stopped. Kort, you need to own up to a little truth in advertising here and acknowledge that at least while you are renovating, this place should be discounted significantly.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner / Manager at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
First off, thank you for saying the rooms are fine, the balcony is beautiful and the WiFi is great. It seams that the issue is a buzzing sound that occurs at night and inaccurate information from the front desk.

I have spent the last several days trying to identify or even hear the buzz described. This is not saying it's not there, my hearing is not that great. Due to the fact this reviewer experienced it at night and it stopped during the day, perhaps it's a failing street light. I have asked our current guests to see if they have the same experience and if they can identify the sound. If they hear it, and it is a street light we will contact SCE to remedy the situation. If it can be identified and its on our property it will be taken care of. I appreciate being notified of such annoyances because without customer feedback we cannot address issues that are not readily apparent to management or staff.

Our policy while renovation is underway is no heavy noise prior to 9:00am. The workers are on site earlier and are instructed to involve themselves in painting and prep work that should not disrupt the guests. We have clearly posted on the main web page and at the check in desk that such work is underway and regret that it prevented this guest from having less than a perfect stay.

Knowing that renovation would be occurring during this winter season we kept all rates for the entire season lower than scheduled to offset short term issues that always arise while building long term improvements. This guest took the time to request pictures which I supplied, had they shared their less than perfect stay with me, we would have taken every measure to make sure things were made right.

The Laguna Riviera has been in business for 62 years and we take pride in delivering a great vacation experience to all our guests. We extend our sincerest apologies that we missed the mark with this guest.
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I can only say that when I arrived and saw the moldy, tired room that was billed as "Surf View", I was ready to drive back to Los Angeles. It was that bad.

I should have realized this when we pulled into the parking lot . First, recognize that this is really a roadside motel, not a resort, not even a regular hotel, just a barely renovated motel whose one salient factor is the ocean view. When you visit the website, you won't see any pictures suggesting the dank reality of the situation.

Skip this place -- it's an overpriced dump!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner/Manager at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
I am very disappointed by this review and for several reasons, suspect it is not even written by a real guest, but if it is I'll make a generous offer at the end of my response.

We are in the middle of a renovation, making major upgrades investing in the comfort and travel experience for our guests. While all rooms are not yet complete, we expect most if not all to be done by June 1 when we kick off the summer season. If you visit our website, pictures will begin to be posted mid March so you can see first hand what we are up to. The multitude of glowing reviews we have earned were pre-renovation so rest assured that once we are done the rooms & facilities will be even better.

Now for the offer; If indeed this is a legitimate complaint we wish to make it right. Our goal is to always deliver great service and accommodations at a reasonable price. If this reviewer contacts me and can confirm their stay in a Surf View room I will extend a complimentary stay for the same number of days in a newly renovated room or perhaps our ocean front 3 bedroom beach house and to sweeten the deal include dinner for two at a local restaurant. All I ask is that if after the complimentary stay, they feel differently they share it here for all to see on TripAdvisor.

Kort Pearson
Owner/Manager
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

This "resort" looks very nice and clean from the photos but is the most horrible place we have ever been. Although it has been awhile since we went there, it is still a joke between my husband and I. Upon check in, it was raining very hard and we had no idea where to park. The woman inside at the desk was cranky and spoke to us like we were morons. The parking is tight and sparse. I asked her about the ping pong tables they had and she said she was missing a paddle so we couldn't play. Our room was really small, old and filthy. There were stains on the curtains and the carpet was stained as well. Our "balcony" overlooked some type of metal roofing that was rusted and dirty. The whole balcony and surroundings were rusty or had chipping paint. That is probably what we noticed the most was that this place, the whole place, needed a complete paint job. We were thrilled about this place from their website but it would be like seeing a photo of Angelina Jolie and realizing it is actually E.T. when you get there. Oh, and he would be dirty and cranky when you met him!

• Liked — It had access to the beach.
  • Disliked — Too many things to choose from.
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner / Manager at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2009
When I see fabricated reviews I sometimes wonder if they should even be dignified with a response. None the less I feel compelled to set the record straight. Nothing from this review rings true and I find it curious that the stay is said to have occurred March 2006, nearly 3 years ago. We do not even have a steel roof as suggested in the review.

I am not sure if this is written by a newcomer to the local hotel business trying to up their rankings, a disgruntled employee, or a guest who has simply written mistakenly about another property. In any event the facts are, not only is the property in great condition we are in the midst of a major million dollar plus investment, upgrading the rooms and grounds in order to exceed our guests best expectations.

The website at this point is dated. The rooms are better than depicted, as is the complete property and associated amenities. If you are concerned with the inflammatory allegations of this misplaced review and would like pictures of your room or the grounds as they are when you make the request, please let me know. I will be more than happy to supply current date stamped photos to immediately discredit the fraudulent allegations of this unfortunate review.

The multitude of positive reviews show the true character of the Laguna Riviera. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or for any additional information or photos of the property that may help you make the best choice for you Laguna Beach Vacation.

Happy travels
Kort Pearson
Manager / Owner

Been to Laguna Riviera Beach Resort? Share your experiences!